Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Melee Map Projects > Topic: (8)Structural Dementia
(8)Structural Dementia
Sep 13 2008, 7:10 pm
By: afz902k  

Sep 13 2008, 7:10 pm afz902k Post #1

"Dominate your area and expand your empire across the seemingly endless bridges that keep together this massive space platform".

This map is basically a follow up to "Iran so far away". Bases are grouped in pairs (so it could work as a 2v2v2v2 or a 4v4). I've had lots of fun with this map so I thought I'd share it. It's supposed to be "balanced" so if you notice any errors (or bugs) or you think there are changes that should be made to it in order to make it more balanced, I'm open for suggestions.

In FFA, since both computer players and human players tend to expand to their closest possible expansion zones (nats, etc), in this map (at least in the beginning of a match) you should only be worrying about your closest enemy. Generally, out of every two close bases, one player should eventually overwhelm the other, beat him/her/it and acquire many bases in his proximity, from that point onwards it turns into a battle between those who survived the initial "local" conflicts, in the end only one shall remain.

A similar concept can be applied to teamwork, except team-based matches should reach a conclusion faster than absolute FFA.

Alternate download link: http://dekh.exofire.net/files/(8)Structural%20Dementia.scm (url tag doesn't seem to work?)

Attachments:
(8)Structural Dementia.scm
Hits: 24 Size: 188.72kb

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Sep 13 2008, 7:28 pm by afz902k.

None.

Sep 13 2008, 7:19 pm Echo Post #2

Excellent design, but it wouldn't work in melee. Maybe top vs bottom, if you are lucky and get right places. But the bad side is that it isn't balanced. Would be a great map in UMS melee though.

None.

Sep 13 2008, 7:24 pm afz902k Post #3

Yeah, I do kind of dread how the bases are not evenly spaced away from the map centre.

None.

Sep 13 2008, 7:29 pm Excalibur Post #4

The sword and the faith

I admit 8p map balance is hard to do. I've tried my hand at it quite a few times. This isn't too bad, but try to incorporate as much balance as you can.

Even in 8p maps, the main / natural / expansion form can be upheld. That isn't done here. Also, it is a bad idea not to leave some room behind minerals as it makes harass too easy with mutas, ect. Keep in mind your resource numbers (9-10 main, 7-8 nat, 7-8 expo, 6-7 min only.) as that can also be upheld even on an 8p setup.

I'm confident you can make some interesting 8p maps, with more balance than this.

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Sep 13 2008, 7:30 pm Symmetry Post #5

Dungeon Master

You're going to find that any player who isn't Terran is going to have a hard time on this map. Siege tanks = win.

But the way you decorate is nice.

:voy: :jaff: :voy: :jaff:

Sep 13 2008, 7:39 pm afz902k Post #6

I'm don't think I'm so far off in resource numbers, I'll tweak that a bit and also I'll take minerals a bit closer to base centres.

I did try to keep siege tanks in mind when creating the map, which is why I "tried" to add walls and other visibility blockers where possible, but yeah I'm afraid the very design on the map makes it a bit pro-siege tank. Anyway, I'd expect players to go "aereal" quite often in this map, at some point.

None.

Sep 13 2008, 7:44 pm Excalibur Post #7

The sword and the faith

Balance would dictate that a player doesn't have to go air and can effectively ground to ground counter a terran mechanical push. That cannot be done in the maps current form. T benefits from tight or long corridors with little to no flanking room, which this map has in very large supply.

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Oct 8 2008, 9:16 pm Devourer Post #8

Hello

i didnt played it, but the terrain is awesome....
i just think that Terran can bunker again... :P

Please report errors in the Staredit.Network forum.

Oct 9 2008, 12:14 am Vi3t-X Post #9

Basically, a standard Tank/Gol movement would wipe out everyone.

None.

Oct 12 2008, 12:05 pm BeDazed Post #10

Balance would dictate that a player doesn't have to go air and can effectively ground to ground counter a terran mechanical push. That cannot be done in the maps current form. T benefits from tight or long corridors with little to no flanking room, which this map has in very large supply.
Air is weak against Terran mech. Just a reminder.

None.

Options
  Back to forum