None.
Canada 1

3%
None.
Some Random Country 5

11%
None.
Please login to vote.
Poll has 46 votes. You can vote for at most 1 option(s).

Aug 18 2008, 11:03 am Centreri Post #61

Relatively ancient and inactive

Yay for Russia's full tennis sweep (Gold, silver and bronze in one category :D). Other then that, the chinese are really rigging some things. In gymastics, Anna Pavlova did a fantastic jump over that thingimagig, got a zero. I saw a close up, she DID touch the damn thing. A chinese gymnast pretty much fell down on the landing and got 15.4 or something like that. I heard China's somewhat rigging it in boxing as well.

None.

Aug 18 2008, 12:47 pm Vi3t-X Post #62

See, the problem is (I just learned this right now), you have to land inside the targets.

None.

Aug 20 2008, 4:14 am Morphling Post #63

China is up by 17 golds but USA is only down by three medals.

None.

Aug 20 2008, 5:54 am Syphon Post #64

Quote from BeeR_KeG
http://www.iaaf.org/OLY08/news/kind=100/newsid=46787.html

Phelps might've won 8 gold medals, but Usain Bolt is something else entirely. He's destroyed everything which experts in Track & Field have said. The norm for a 100 meter runner is about 5'10" - 6'0" with a muscular build. This guy is 6'5" and has the body of a 400m runner. BAM! 9.69s in the 100m and he made it look much easier than Phelps. In a sport where you break the record by 0.01 and win by the very same margin, this guy is just something else. Scientists say that a perfect 100m is around 9.50, beyond that it's almost physically impossible to run any faster. Usain ran 80m all out and then started celebrating even before he finished the race. He could have well run under 9.60.

One event is not all. He could break 2 of the 3 most impressive Track & Field records there are. Next, Michael Johnson's legendary 19.32s 200m World Record. How good is that? The second best time is just 19.62s, leagues behind. Then Carl Lewis' 4x100m record should easily fall to the Jamaicans, if they can pas the baton.

All this and Usain Bolt does it while eating McNuggets,skipping breakfast and running with a shoelace untied.

I concur. Phelps has nothing on Bolt. Bolt is, without a doubt, the greatest sprinter to have ever lived. I hope within the next few years he starts some 400 work, actually.

It's entirely possible he'll run a 18.9 in the 200m final if he runs full out the whole way.

None.

Aug 20 2008, 6:40 am SiN Post #65

Quote from Syphon
Quote from BeeR_KeG

Phelps might've won 8 gold medals, but Usain Bolt is something else entirely. He's destroyed everything which experts in Track & Field have said. The norm for a 100 meter runner is about 5'10" - 6'0" with a muscular build. This guy is 6'5" and has the body of a 400m runner. BAM! 9.69s in the 100m and he made it look much easier than Phelps. In a sport where you break the record by 0.01 and win by the very same margin, this guy is just something else. Scientists say that a perfect 100m is around 9.50, beyond that it's almost physically impossible to run any faster. Usain ran 80m all out and then started celebrating even before he finished the race. He could have well run under 9.60.

One event is not all. He could break 2 of the 3 most impressive Track & Field records there are. Next, Michael Johnson's legendary 19.32s 200m World Record. How good is that? The second best time is just 19.62s, leagues behind. Then Carl Lewis' 4x100m record should easily fall to the Jamaicans, if they can pas the baton.

All this and Usain Bolt does it while eating McNuggets,skipping breakfast and running with a shoelace untied.

I concur. Phelps has nothing on Bolt. Bolt is, without a doubt, the greatest sprinter to have ever lived. I hope within the next few years he starts some 400 work, actually.

It's entirely possible he'll run a 18.9 in the 200m final if he runs full out the whole way.

i agree but i also disagree.
Swimming is incredibly more difficult then running. Well, i should say that the difference between swimming and running a sprint is definitely much different. (Swimming uses many more muscle groups, has more strategy, takes years of learning technique, and you usually have to learn more than one stroke.)
Now I'm not saying that running doesn't involve intense training as well. But I believe that Phelps has worked much harder for his achievements then Bolt has.

Of course, we shouldn't even compare the two. If Bolt was to swim competitively he would easily fail. And if Phelps were to sprint competitively he would obviously fail too.

None.

Aug 20 2008, 8:30 pm Kaias Post #66

Quote from SiN
Quote from Syphon
Quote from BeeR_KeG

i agree but i also disagree.
Swimming is incredibly more difficult then running. Well, i should say that the difference between swimming and running a sprint is definitely much different. (Swimming uses many more muscle groups, has more strategy, takes years of learning technique, and you usually have to learn more than one stroke.)
Now I'm not saying that running doesn't involve intense training as well. But I believe that Phelps has worked much harder for his achievements then Bolt has.

Of course, we shouldn't even compare the two. If Bolt was to swim competitively he would easily fail. And if Phelps were to sprint competitively he would obviously fail too.
Also, I wouldn't say Bolt is without doubt the greatest sprinter to have ever lived. Very easily (and almost undoubtedly) many people throughout history may have been faster.

However, I think it is safe to say that Phelps is the fastest swimmer to have ever lived. Never before has humanity been as proficient at swimming and he's the best of the best. He's broken more world records than anyone else (and his own world records at that)

Of course we can't really know

None.

Aug 20 2008, 8:50 pm Syphon Post #67

Phelps also had the contributions of the extra deep pool and the LZR skin, Bolt is the first person to ever break WR in 100 and 200 at the same meet.

None.

Aug 21 2008, 1:33 am Demented Shaman Post #68

APPLES AND ORANGES.

None.

Aug 21 2008, 1:36 am dumbducky Post #69

http://strydehax.blogspot.com/2008/08/hack-olympics.html
The Chinese did cheat!

tits

Aug 21 2008, 1:43 am Demented Shaman Post #70

Nastia was robbed on the uneven bars. There's so many reasons why she should have won. First of all her routine was so much better and she executed it better. The scores shouldn't have been tied in the first place (stupid Australian judge). Then the tiebreaker is bullshit. Lastly, the chinese girl isn't even 16 anyone with eyes can see that.

They should use some lie detector tests.

None.

Aug 21 2008, 1:46 am dumbducky Post #71

The tiebreaker is pretty stupid. It ultimately comes down to the scores of 3 judges. Having such few judges sort of ruins the points of having multiple judges in the first place.

tits

Aug 21 2008, 3:26 am FatalException Post #72

Did anyone see the Fox News rant about Michael Phelps' cereal endorsement? They said that since he's promoting Frosted Flakes, he's promoting childhood obesity. They're good at coming up with slippery slopes...
Quote from Kaias
Also, I wouldn't say Bolt is without doubt the greatest sprinter to have ever lived. Very easily (and almost undoubtedly) many people throughout history may have been faster.

However, I think it is safe to say that Phelps is the fastest swimmer to have ever lived. Never before has humanity been as proficient at swimming and he's the best of the best. He's broken more world records than anyone else (and his own world records at that)

That doesn't really make any sense. You're saying that we don't know that we're running the fastest ever, but we do know that we're swimming the fastest ever. Why is it sure that "never before has humanity been as proficient at swimming" and not running?

None.

Aug 21 2008, 4:16 am Kaias Post #73

Quote from FatalException
Did anyone see the Fox News rant about Michael Phelps' cereal endorsement? They said that since he's promoting Frosted Flakes, he's promoting childhood obesity. They're good at coming up with slippery slopes...
Quote from Kaias

That doesn't really make any sense. You're saying that we don't know that we're running the fastest ever, but we do know that we're swimming the fastest ever. Why is it sure that "never before has humanity been as proficient at swimming" and not running?
It's not.
And I didn't say it was definite, I said it was pretty safe. That's just personal speculation. I never said that we do know.

None.

Aug 22 2008, 6:16 am Morphling Post #74

They are looking into the ages of the chinese gymnasts and we might get 3 more gold and china will loose 6 gold.

None.

Aug 22 2008, 12:50 pm Kaias Post #75

Quote from Morphling
They are looking into the ages of the chinese gymnasts and we might get 3 more gold and china will loose 6 gold.
And get what they deserve. The judges have such a bias for them and He Kexin should not under have gotten that gold over Nastia anyway.

None.

Aug 22 2008, 4:24 pm Syphon Post #76

And yet, China would still be winning.

Also,

3 for 3 bitches!

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4
  Back to forum