Help T.T
Aug 2 2008, 7:14 pm
By: Gold_Member  

Aug 2 2008, 9:42 pm NudeRaider Post #21

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

wtf? Falk, since when are you supporting workarounds rather than solutions?

Well, what I suggested might sound complicated, but it really isn't if you get used to it.
Well at least it's the cleanest way and it's failsafe as it's not depended on number of Players or something.
I therefore strongly suggest you use clean mapping. Keep in mind that display text is a common action and you can always reuse your dc and do them all alike. Really simple.

Btw. while splitting up triggers means some extra work doing them split up in the first place is little extra work. Everytime you need some display text or whatever for current player you copy the last one and just change the dc value and the text.

EDIT: And yeah you can combine it with what Falk said. Use the death counter as a timer, running for the comp player. When the timer has a specific value (e.g. 120 for 10s) display the text for Force 1. And still you can reuse the death counter for other cutscenes and alike by starting the next event at 1000 deaths of that timer. After cutscenes set the timer to 0 and always increase it if it's at least 1.

Also speaking of simple solutions you don't need to reset the death count in trigger two
Trigger Two:
Players: Player 1
Conditions: Player 1 has suffered exactly 1 deaths of Terran Beacon
Actions:
Modify Death Count for Player 1: Set to 0 for Terran Beacon
Create 1 Terran Civilian at Location X for Player 1
because it's not preserved, it will run only once anyway.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 2 2008, 9:50 pm by NudeRaider.

Aug 2 2008, 10:06 pm Biophysicist Post #22

I know I didn't need to reset it, I was trying to avoid a headache later if he wanted to use that DC elsewhere.

None.

Aug 2 2008, 10:24 pm Falkoner Post #23

It is a solution, and I think resetting the death in the other trigger was a good idea, as that allowed you to reuse that same death count, and just use a different value depending on which method you want displayed, at long as only one message gets displayed on it per trigger cycle.

None.

Aug 2 2008, 10:41 pm Gold_Member Post #24

Haha, thanks everyone for all the help, but as of all methods shown tassadars looked the easiest to me :D

None.

Aug 2 2008, 11:11 pm NudeRaider Post #25

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from Falkoner

It is a solution
IMO removing the civs is cleaning up a mess, not a solution, but whatever... he seems to love doing that anyway.

Aug 2 2008, 11:13 pm Gold_Member Post #26

Quote from NudeRaider
Quote from Falkoner

It is a solution
IMO removing the civs is cleaning up a mess, not a solution, but whatever... he seems to love doing that anyway.

the method I chose isnt cleaning up...is it...? its not like I got any remove actions :><:

None.

Aug 2 2008, 11:44 pm Falkoner Post #27

Oh, I was just saying that was a possible fix, but I also said at the bottom why it wouldn't be the best solution, since you would have to know the exact number of players in the game. I mostly wanted him to use the Death Count method.

None.

Aug 2 2008, 11:46 pm Biophysicist Post #28

I already said not to use the removing civs thing, I made a noobish mistake when I suggested that.

None.

Aug 3 2008, 12:15 am KyleIs1337 Post #29

He also can use these triggers

========================================================================================================================================
GOOD WAY

Trigger 1

Players:
1-6

Conditions:
Always

Actions:
Center View at Location X
Display Text "Blah"
Wait for 10000 milliseconds
Display Text "Blah"
Create 1 Terran Civilian for Player 1 at Location X

--Trigger 2--

Players:

Conditions:
Player 1 brings At Least 2 Terran Civilian to Location X

Actions:
Give 1 Terran Civilian owned by Player 1 at Location X to Player 2
Remove all Terran Civilians owned by Player 1
Give 1 Terran Civilian owned by Player 2 at Location X to Player 1

========================================================================================================================================
BETTER WAY

--Trigger 1--

Players:
1-6

Conditions:
Always

Actions:
Center View at Location X
Display Text "Blah"
Wait for 10000 milliseconds
Display Text "Blah"
Set Deaths of Cantina for Player 1 to 1

--Trigger 2--

Players:

Conditions:
Player 1 suffers exactly 1 death of Cantina

Actions:
Create 1 Terran Civilian for Player 1 at Location X
Set Deaths of Cantina for Player 1 to 0

That way it would remove the extra civilians no matter the number of players and still have 1 left. That is much easier ;)

Post has been edited 7 time(s), last time on Aug 10 2008, 7:22 pm by KyleIs1337.

None.

Aug 3 2008, 1:26 am Kaias Post #30

Quote from name:TassadarZeratul
Just realized, we may be over-complicating things. Why not just set the second trigger to 'Always' and include a ten-second wait before we create the civ?
If you did that, you'd set the first trigger to wait 0, not 1000.

Quote from NudeRaider
Sometimes workarounds are the only solution. Although I agree with you here.

None.

Aug 3 2008, 10:48 am NudeRaider Post #31

Quote from Gold_Member
the method I chose isnt cleaning up...is it...? its not like I got any remove actions :><:
No the method you chose is okay since there's only 1 thing happening globally and 2 things for current player. You base it on a dc which is the way to go here.

Options
  Back to forum