Staredit Network > Forums > Serious Discussion > Topic: Should Marijuana be legal?
Should Marijuana be legal?
Jun 30 2008, 2:06 am
By: T-MaStAA
Pages: < 1 « 5 6 7 8 >

Jul 8 2008, 11:36 pm 49281358723941702706 Post #121

I don't think it should be made legal because of the negative consequences people can get from being addicted to the drug. Alot more people would become addicted, etc.

None.

Jul 8 2008, 11:43 pm Twitch Post #122

Quote from T-MaStAA
Quote from Lt.Church
harold and kumar are very funny movies to me, i wasnt high when i watched them. Guess that means if you dislike doing something when youre sober then doing it intoxicated you enjoy it just proves the point that it alters your state of mind, if you hit someone well driving you might panic and be worried, do it high its no worries giggle and drive away how exactly is that something you want in society?
First of all NO, JUST NO... Second, its not like I dislike Harold and Kumar, weed just made it 10 times better. You have no idea what its like to be high so you are in absolutely no position to give a statement as bold as your hole car incident.
You're high, but you still know whats right or wrong. Its really easy to sober up in moments of need. One time I got called to the office while i was high, no problem just got serious about it and I was fine. Being high, unlike drunk, is a very casual thing, I've spent allot of time in school high especially in math and computers and I still got high 80's in both subjects... Weed can also make boring moments fun or exiting like some time when I'm watching T.V. late at night and I'm bored, roll a five piece and BAM! eventful night.
P.S. The show Robot Chicken high....WOW
I don't know when I get high/stoned I can't be serious at all :/.
I look at one thing and start laughing and can't stop.I have tried to act right while high and only lasted 5 minutes.
Although that was when I was off of it for 6 MONTHS.

None.

Jul 14 2008, 2:53 am A_of-s_t Post #123

aka idmontie

Quote from Gamma
I don't think it should be made legal because of the negative consequences people can get from being addicted to the drug. Alot more people would become addicted, etc.
NO WAI!

Anyway, the addiction doesn't come from the drug, but rather, the person using the drug gets into a routine of using it. The drug itself is not addictive and you actually cannot overdose on it. Most of the side effects are non permanent -- except for stupidity, but I think this is actually from before they started using marijuana.

Personal GitHub
Starcraft GitHub Organization - Feel free to request member status!
TwitchTV

Jul 14 2008, 3:05 am Lt.Church Post #124

A_of-s_t, you can overdose on anything in existance, although youve have to be an insane pot head you can one of the reasons being marijuana contains low levels of THC.

None.

Jul 15 2008, 6:23 am A_of-s_t Post #125

aka idmontie

Quote from Lt.Church
A_of-s_t, you can overdose on anything in existance, although youve have to be an insane pot head you can one of the reasons being marijuana contains low levels of THC.
In order to overdose on Marijuana, you would have to pretty much cut off your supply of oxygen, which would be more of suffocation than actual overdose. So, no, you cannot overdose on marijuana.

Personal GitHub
TwitchTV

Jul 15 2008, 7:55 am Doodan Post #126

What if you ate 200 hash brownies?

None.

Jul 15 2008, 8:29 am Lt.Church Post #127

A, the term overdose signifies overquantifying your body with a supply of something, you can overdose on ANYTHING weither it being deadly or just sickening you can overdose on any mineral, and chemical,any vitamin, and any element. you can overdose on water, vitamin C, potassium, oxygen, nickel, copper, gold and anything else you can think of so i don't know where you get the idea you cant overdose on a plant full of chemicals.

None.

Jul 15 2008, 3:12 pm ihjel Post #128

You can't get a overdose of marijuana in any realistic amouth so what's your point?

None.

Jul 16 2008, 11:56 am Screwed Post #129

Simply saying you can overdose on ANYTHING doesn't support the argument that marijuana should be legal. If we can overdose on anything, such as panadol, vitamin C, and cooking oil - how about we just ban everything?

Offer a more sound argument. I don't think simply stating the ability to overdose any substance is one.

None.

Jul 16 2008, 2:22 pm Lt.Church Post #130

screwed clearly you havent read my other posts on the subject which I personally think has pretty sound advice and points, in my opinion any controllable abusable drug should be for medical use only, hey i have no problem if you have bonecancer and you use marijuana to treat the pain but if youre some punk who decides to waste his time and money doing drugs instead of something more productive than you have a problem and if people who love you wont help you then clearly the government need to step in.

None.

Jul 16 2008, 11:24 pm Vi3t-X Post #131

/offtopic

Quote from Matt Burch
http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/2958.html Move to ontario canada, and you can smoke weed all you want.
Thats some more good news for me!

None.

Jul 17 2008, 5:50 am hdogg86 Post #132

hmmm, didnt want to read all 7 pages of this discussion, but i did skim through it to see the general discussion and i have come across a few misunderstandings/flawed arguements
ANTI-MARIJUANA
1. that driving under the influence of alcohol is not as damning and family seperating as driving under the influence of marijuana when you get caught
2. that the US/Canadian/your government is infallible or does not share any type of blame in the laws it creates and enforces, only law breakers are to blame
3. that the US/Canadian/your government has the responsibility, time, manpower, or money, to make every american a clean responsible individual
4. that an arguement against both legal and illegal drugs proves that an illegal drug is not on the same harm level as legal drugs
5. that personal opinion, experience, or belief proves that an illegal drug is not more harmful than legal drugs

basically, if your reason for siding with weed being illegal rests with the premise of it being:
harmful to family or other bystanders...... some legal drug-users hurt others, some illegal drug-users hurt no-one
against the law and only used by lawbreakers......... (see: martin luther king*)
harmful to the user and therefore the users should be controlled.......... but what about the unclean, self-destructive, and/or irresponsible legal-drug users
harmful period, and alot of harmful things should be outlawed......... fairly sound arguement, but there are other factors
harmful in my opinion/personal experience/religious book.......... everyone has an experience, you cancel each other out

than you are commiting a flawed arguement and you have only an (probably weak) opinion to state.

that said, there are also a few misunderstandings/flawed arguements
PRO-MARIJUANA
1. that the maturity/naivity/of those using marijuana/alcohol is relevant to the legality of the drug
2. that the US/Canadian/your government is corrupted, so it takes all or most of the blame in the laws it creates and enforces
3. that the US/Canadian/your government shouldnt guide those less informed/fortunate they have no business in individuals lives
4. that an arguement against legal drugs proves that an illegal drug is not on the same harm level as legal drugs
5. that personal opinion, experience, or belief proves that an illegal drug is less harmful than legal drugs

basically, if your reason for siding with weed being legal rests with the premise of it being:
used by idiots (iyo)....... some legal drug-users are idiots, some illegal drug-users are very smart
against the law because the government is greedy/corrupt........ (see: rodney king*)
personally, i agree with #3!......... but what about the unclean, self-destructive, and/or irresponsible
beneficial compared to alchohol so it should be legal......... fairly sound arguement, but there are other factors
beneficial in my opinion/personal experience/religious book......... everyone has an experience, you cancel each other out

than you are commiting a flawed arguement and you have only an (probably weak) opinion to state.

basically, if your heart rate jumps to 220 and you nearly blow your load when someone posts for or against your opinion, or if you are a cold calculating debator genius (iyo) , you are all making the mistake of not showing both sides in your arguement, and therefore making good points with weak explanation, or flawed points with strong explanation. if you are going to prove a point on a complex issue like this, it will take more than a one line sentence response to a bunch of quotes. that said, i will try to make an arguement or two for marijuana without making the logical mistakes already made in this topic and while staying objective(un-biased).

alcohol is a drug. it is processed from many different substances through distilleries.

marijuana is a controlled substance. it is grown in many different ways to produce different product. however, street dealers will lace this product with many dangerous drugs such as cocaine, lsd, etc. to get more money for a weaker product. my best comparison is how fresh fruit is more expensive than fruit kept fresh by preservatives.

therefore, alcohol can be abused like vicadin can be abused, and marijuana can be overly consumed like a potassium overdose from bananas.

alcohol is mainly legal, taxed, and socially accepted. there are unregulated alcohols like moonshine and absynth to name two that are illegal and more harmful/potent

marijuana is mainly illegal, untaxed, and not socially accepted. there are regulated amounts of marijuana, like medicinal marijuana, and those in holland, that are not very harmful/potent

my arguement is, because marijuana and alcohol mainly balance out in pros and cons, they should balance out in legality.

but to address those who wish for all harmful addictive abused drugs to be illegal ill say this; in our society, the philosophy and for the most part, the law, limits correcting self harm to only the faster methods. this means shooting yourself and dealing/using cocaine are illegal because they can lead to a fast highly visible death, while compulsive gambling and OTC(over-the-counter) drug or alcohol addiction are legal because they do not get enough air time on fox, cnn, cbs, or abc. to illegalize all harmful drugs is enough of an infringement on personal freedom as this: being born fat will lead to a lifestyle of eating fatty foods and heart attack, so the government should institute a weight loss plan.
i like to drink, and i binge on occasion, but i act responsibly, have a plan, and friends that act as my backup should i go overboard. because i only drink on average 6-7 nights a month, my pocketbook stays intact and my lifestyle stays safe.
i can no longer smoke weed, because i work for the government, and besides them randomly drug testing, i am responsible enough to weigh the risk and wait for 3-7 years. but when i did, i once again acted responsibly and had a plan, and friends as a backup. i even smoked and drank at the same time. all with pocketbook and lifestyle intact.

so why should i have to give up my vices for the less responsible individual? since when has group punishment been an effective deterrent, yet alone a justified course of action?
marijuana should be legal because people should be responsible, and for a government to regulate harmless (neglecting self harm) behaviors like smoking marijuana by bannining them altogether is as absurd as banning bachelors from having multiple partners because it could lead to STDs. someone can smoke marijuana and drive/stab/steal/sloth their way to self destruction but they can also do that with alcohol. so once again i restate my point; marijuana and alcohol mainly balance out in pros and cons, they should balance out in legality.

*martin luther king displayed civil disobedience by breaking the law while acting calm and coherent
*rodney king was a victim of police brutality, but he was also drunk and belligerent during the incident

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Jul 21 2008, 2:54 am by hdogg86.

None.

Jul 17 2008, 6:34 am Demented Shaman Post #133

I think if the government is going to control what we can put into our bodies then they should make McDonalds illegal. I'm sure that shit is more harmful to many more people. :-_-:

None.

Jul 17 2008, 12:03 pm Lt.Church Post #134

hdogg did I ever once say I was talking about US, no.

I'm canadian and proud, i live in ontario yes,unless there was a very recent change i missed in the news you arent charged for possession of up to 30grams of marijuana; however alot police districts will still take your information and confiscate your marijuana for reasons if the law is changed back boom, they can prosecute you.

Also to clear things up still not legal to sell, only legal to grow and carry small amounts.

None.

Jul 19 2008, 1:58 pm hdogg86 Post #135

church, i didn't pick up whether this arguement was based on the US laws and/or Canadian laws but i went back and edited my post to cover the broad spectrum, because those points still apply to other governments.

also, i didn't mention any names in my post, just picked up on repeated bad points made in this thread, and some very good ones. that said, i highlighted my point in green

None.

Jul 19 2008, 2:07 pm Pyro682 Post #136

Sorry, I havent looked at this topic in a while, Forgot about it.

Oh, and the kid who said theres problems with Marijuana, Think again dude.

Weed doesn't pose any large Physical health problems. Besides, If youre talking about the shrinking brain sectors, I'd like to see a link to the article in your next post. Sniffing Sharpie Markers also causes the same effect... but you don't see heavy surveilance whenever you go to office max, do you? Are Sharpies illegal?

Inhibiting Blood flow? hahahaha! If that were really true, then why not just make McDonalds illegal? Lmao.

1. that driving under the influence of alcohol is not as damning and family seperating as driving under the influence of marijuana

.... And Users with High tolerance? Did you just happen to forget about the 90% of the people who smoke weed?
As for alcohol, you cannot get a TRUE tolerance. It's a simple matter of weight ratio. Sure, you can be a beer drinker, maybe gain a BIT of resilliance, but for weed, people can be totally resilliant to 10 bong hits. Have you ever seen someone drink 10 shots and even walk straight?

Oh, and Church? You Cannot Overdose on water, along with many of the other misc. items you mentioned.
You can only overdose on things that you take DOSAGES of. That there is simple linguistics. overDOSE. DOSAGES.
Did you ever take a dose of water?
Bottom line is, you can't overdose on water. Please don't attempt to bullshit people to try to make a point.

screwed clearly you havent read my other posts on the subject which I personally think has pretty sound advice and points, in my opinion any controllable abusable drug should be for medical use only, hey i have no problem if you have bonecancer and you use marijuana to treat the pain but if youre some punk who decides to waste his time and money doing drugs instead of something more productive than you have a problem and if people who love you wont help you then clearly the government need to step in.

Holllly shit. Just making marijuana legal for medicinal use won't work either... There are Phony doctors AND Real doctors who help their friends and they sell to people. You'll just corrupt the economy of weed even further.
And whats the deal with calling people who smoke pot punks? Lets be unbiased here, shall we?
Anyways, there ARE pains in life that some people cannot handle, and just because it's not a physical pain... like you're missing an arm or something, doesn't mean that you don't need something to kill the pain a bit. Marijuana is seen by many as an "Emotional Morphine".

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Jul 19 2008, 2:25 pm by Pyro682.

None.

Jul 19 2008, 4:22 pm Lt.Church Post #137

is there a multibillion dollar worldwide company producing marijuana no? is there for mcdonalds? yes. thats why they dont make it illegal.

overdosing on water is considered water intoxication, look it up you can suffer pretty severe problems and even death by it.

pyro, 1. that wasnt addressed to you and 2.thats why we have LEGAL ways to help emotional problems like psychetric assistance or antideppressants. 3. if you dont like it move to a place that its legal like ontario,nevada, or amsterdam. regardless of your views there is a reason we have laws and if you can break one whos to say a masocistic psycho cant break one too.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jul 19 2008, 4:29 pm by Lt.Church.

None.

Jul 21 2008, 2:53 am hdogg86 Post #138

Quote from Pyro682
1. that driving under the influence of alcohol is not as damning and family seperating as driving under the influence of marijuana
.... And Users with High tolerance? Did you just happen to forget about the 90% of the people who smoke weed? As for alcohol, you cannot get a TRUE tolerance. It's a simple matter of weight ratio. Sure, you can be a beer drinker, maybe gain a BIT of resilliance, but for weed, people can be totally resilliant to 10 bong hits. Have you ever seen someone drink 10 shots and even walk straight?
damning and family seperating is referring to the damage done when you get caught. has nothing to do with how high you are. ill re-edit to clarify that.

and on a totally unrelated personal note, i can walk straight after 10-15 shots, depending on what i ate that day, and how much water i drink. try taking 20-25 shots and walking straight the day after, i failed at that one.

None.

Jul 21 2008, 6:21 am A_of-s_t Post #139

aka idmontie

Quote from Lt.Church
is there a multibillion dollar worldwide company producing marijuana no? is there for mcdonalds? yes. thats why they dont make it illegal.

overdosing on water is considered water intoxication, look it up you can suffer pretty severe problems and even death by it.

pyro, 1. that wasnt addressed to you and 2.thats why we have LEGAL ways to help emotional problems like psychetric assistance or antideppressants. 3. if you dont like it move to a place that its legal like ontario,nevada, or amsterdam. regardless of your views there is a reason we have laws and if you can break one whos to say a masocistic psycho cant break one too.

Careful with your arguements there... Logical Fallacies in this one post:
Argumentum ad verecundiam http://www.csun.edu/~dgw61315/fallacies.html#Argumentum%20ad%20verecundiam
Dicto simpliciter http://www.csun.edu/~dgw61315/fallacies.html#Dicto%20simpliciter
Straw man http://www.csun.edu/~dgw61315/fallacies.html#Straw%20man

Personal GitHub
TwitchTV

Jul 21 2008, 8:40 pm Zombiechao Post #140

is there a multibillion dollar worldwide company producing marijuana no?
Gangs all over the world.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 5 6 7 8 >
  Back to forum