Staredit Network > Forums > Serious Discussion > Topic: Should Marijuana be legal?
Should Marijuana be legal?
Jun 30 2008, 2:06 am
By: T-MaStAA
Pages: < 1 « 3 4 5 6 78 >

Jul 3 2008, 11:07 pm BiOAtK Post #81

Marijuana does not damage you except from the actual smoke, and with legalized marijuana, companies would be forced to put filters in the joints which would prevent most of the tar buildup problems.

It would also probably be put at the alcohol age requirement.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jul 3 2008, 11:25 pm by Esponeo. Reason: Removed response to deleted post

None.

Jul 4 2008, 12:37 am Lt.Church Post #82

as ive stated before there are studies which prove heavy marijuana use shrinks the hippocampus and amygdala portions of the brain and prolonged use casual or heavy decreases oxygen flow to the brain which decreases response time, the ability to think clearly, and the to some extent short term memory.

None.

Jul 4 2008, 1:00 am BiOAtK Post #83

Heavy alcohol use poisons you and you die from liver poisoning, not to mention the inability to think, impaired reflexes, and inability to use common sense. Marijuana leaves you calm and sentient. Heavy cigarette use causes lung cancer, from chemicals that are in cigarettes, and NOT marijuana.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jul 4 2008, 1:06 am by Anonymous.

None.

Jul 4 2008, 1:53 am Falkoner Post #84

Someone died once from playing WoW and not eating. LOL. Your point was that you don't NEED marijuana. You also don't NEED StarCraft. Or any entertainment for that matter. Go be fucking healthy and gtfo of the internet.

StarCraft is for entertainment, as is marijuana(usually) but while one is known to hurt you, the other is simply pure entertainment. Oh, and that last statement, Nerdy, I can guarantee I am in better shape than you, and I am in much better shape than the majority of kids my age.

Heavy alcohol use poisons you and you die from liver poisoning, not to mention the inability to think, impaired reflexes, and inability to use common sense. Marijuana leaves you calm and sentient. Heavy cigarette use causes lung cancer, from chemicals that are in cigarettes, and NOT marijuana.

Everyone here who has posted against the legalization has also said that they think alcohol and cigarettes should also be made illegal, Marijuana does not simply leave you the way you were before you used it, it can damage the brain and lungs as well and increases the heart rate, improving the chances to a heart attack.(source).

None.

Jul 4 2008, 2:05 am BiOAtK Post #85

As I said, it damages the lungs from the tar from a lack of a filter, which would be fixed upon legalization. The heart rate increase is temporary.

None.

Jul 4 2008, 3:52 am Atlos Post #86

Most of those health risks are from long term heavy use. Use anything in excess and for long periods of time and your bound to have health problems. The people that heavily abuse it shouldn't ruin it for all the people that want to use it responsibly and in moderation. Let the users know the risks of what they are doing and choose for [/b][/i]themselves[/i][/b] if they want to risk it. We don't need to be everyone's mother (the irony of my name! :P).

None.

Jul 4 2008, 3:55 am BiOAtK Post #87

I myself don't personally want to use marijuana, but sometimes freedom is more important than what other people decide what we should do.

None.

Jul 4 2008, 4:02 am Jello-Jigglers Post #88

Quote from name:Urmom(U)
Most of those health risks are from long term heavy use. Use anything in excess and for long periods of time and your bound to have health problems. The people that heavily abuse it shouldn't ruin it for all the people that want to use it responsibly and in moderation. Let the users know the risks of what they are doing and choose for [/b][/i]themselves[/i][/b] if they want to risk it. We don't need to be everyone's mother (the irony of my name! :P).
I've been drinking water all my life. I seem to be doing pretty good. Be careful when you use the all-inclusive's: "anything" "nothing" "always" "never".

None.

Jul 4 2008, 4:32 am JaBoK Post #89

Quote from name:NerdyTerdy
Quote from JaBoK
Okay, personal opinion, so of course this is debatable.

It should be illegal to do drugs, because they are damaging to a person, and although they have positive effects, they are only superficial and do not outweigh the negative effects. This choice should not be in the hands of the individual, because people tend to make bad decisions with temporary immediate gratification. Basically, people are too focused on personal enjoyment to think about long term effects, and as such it is unethical to allow them to do harm to themselves, whether or not they want to do it. If you want proof that people make bad decisions, take a look at juvenile delinquents, crack addicts, etc. I've heard quite a few stories of people who start at weed and move on to harder drugs. It's better for society if drugs aren't available, and nipping it in the bud is the best way to go about it, since marijuana is the most common drug among teenagers and other young people.

There's an argument, probably a bit right wing. Basically, in my opinion, people are too dumb to look after themselves, and need help in doing so. Illegalizing drugs is a great way of helping people avoid the negative effects of them.

Refer to white slave owners argument.

Your argument is invalid because it is rationally possible to prove that the slave owners were mistreating people. Once you get your head around the idea that people who look different are pretty much the same as you are, it is easy to come to the conclusion that they should have the same life opportunities, which means that enslaving people can't really be allowed. (Not a thorough argument, look up stuff about the concept of equal opportunity making slavery ethically unacceptable)

That being said, I have yet to see a logical reason for letting people harm themselves. Drugs are designed to harm people, physically and mentally, and to cause addictions, to either a substance or a feeling. As such, their only practical uses are ones that can be controlled by health care, and there is no need to sell them to people who want them. Wanting to purchase drugs implies that the person is unable to appropriately look after himself, and is therefore in need of assistance in doing so, in the form of not allowing him to acquire drugs. This works because the act of buying drugs asks for assistance in not buying drugs, just as drinking and driving asks for help in removing the car from the equation, for safety reasons.

Quote from Anonymous
I myself don't personally want to use marijuana, but sometimes freedom is more important than what other people decide what we should do.
Freedom in itself is not a point on which to base an argument. With right comes responsibility, and when people abuse rights, then they deserve less rights. If everyone had the freedom to do whatever they wanted, it would not really be freedom. My freedom to buy a gun and walk around in the park at 8 pm supersedes your freedom to not get shot by an insane murderer. Sucks, doesn't it? (Effectively I have the right to shoot you provided I accept the consequences of doing so, and if they don't catch me, then it gets even worse)

To be relevant, freedom to damage yourself is not freedom at all, it is simply giving you a noose and hoping that you won't hang yourself with it. What happens when someone is dumb enough to tie it around their neck? Yeah, be a nice guy, give up your freedom to do drugs so that less intelligent people don't screw themselves over.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jul 4 2008, 4:38 am by JaBoK.

None.

Jul 4 2008, 4:38 am Zell. Post #90

Quote from Anonymous
Invalid. McDonalds fries cause heart attacks. The argument isn't even really about what it does to you but how it affects government, the economy, etc.

The bigger picture.

None.

Jul 4 2008, 7:22 am Rantent Post #91

Marijuana should be ignored. People nowadays concentrate way too much time discussing it's legality.

None.

Jul 4 2008, 3:00 pm BiOAtK Post #92

Quote from Zell.
Invalid. McDonalds fries cause heart attacks. The argument isn't even really about what it does to you but how it affects government, the economy, etc.

The bigger picture.
Only in excess, like almost anything. There are exceptions, of course.
If someone shoots 50 people, saying that they were going to die anyways is not going to prevent him from going to jail.

None.

Jul 4 2008, 4:03 pm Falkoner Post #93

Most of those health risks are from long term heavy use. Use anything in excess and for long periods of time and your bound to have health problems. The people that heavily abuse it shouldn't ruin it for all the people that want to use it responsibly and in moderation. Let the users know the risks of what they are doing and choose for [/b][/i]themselves[/i][/b] if they want to risk it. We don't need to be everyone's mother (the irony of my name! :P ).

Filters don't pull out that much tar, there's filters in cigarettes too, and people still get tar in their lungs. And the thing is, the minorities DO hurt the majority, if a few people get killed because someone was using marijuana, I'd say it's worth it to stop anyone from using it, just in case, and the only reason for that is because it is unnecessary.

None.

Jul 4 2008, 5:19 pm Lt.Church Post #94

Quote from Jello-Jigglers
I've been drinking water all my life. I seem to be doing pretty good. Be careful when you use the all-inclusive's: "anything" "nothing" "always" "never".

actually you can die of water intoxication aka water poisoning o_o in which individuals attempt to consume more than 3 gallons (10 litres) of water over the course of just a few minutes, or long bouts of intensive exercise during which electrolytes are not properly replenished, yet massive amounts of fluid are still consumed.

oh course the only reason anyone would ever in their right mind try to drink that much water would be in some crazy water drinking contest or a stupid hillbilly being dared lol

None.

Jul 4 2008, 5:57 pm Jello-Jigglers Post #95

Quote from Lt.Church
Quote from Jello-Jigglers

actually you can die of water intoxication aka water poisoning o_o in which individuals attempt to consume more than 3 gallons (10 litres) of water over the course of just a few minutes, or long bouts of intensive exercise during which electrolytes are not properly replenished, yet massive amounts of fluid are still consumed.

oh course the only reason anyone would ever in their right mind try to drink that much water would be in some crazy water drinking contest or a stupid hillbilly being dared lol
Indeed you can die. But like you said, you would have to be crazy or in a stupid hillbilly contest to do something that dumb. So why do people smoke weed? :wtfage:

None.

Jul 4 2008, 7:42 pm Zell. Post #96

To feel good. Escape problems (block them out). To fit in.

None.

Jul 4 2008, 10:40 pm T-MaStAA Post #97

Yeah it really is only to make you feel reaaaally good. I went to see Harold and Kumar in theaters with my friends while we were all baked and leme tell you, I've never laughed so hard in my entire life.

You know guys, there's another good point to be made about the positive effects that drugs can have. If you are anti-drugs then go and find all your cds and burn them and go delete all your thousands of songs off of your computer because let me tell you something, the people that made all the fantastic music that you love, that inspire you, move you and motivate you were all REAAAAAALLY high on drugs.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Jul 5 2008, 12:33 am by T-MaStAA.

None.

Jul 5 2008, 4:24 am JaBoK Post #98

Quote from T-MaStAA
Yeah it really is only to make you feel reaaaally good. I went to see Harold and Kumar in theaters with my friends while we were all baked and leme tell you, I've never laughed so hard in my entire life.

You know guys, there's another good point to be made about the positive effects that drugs can have. If you are anti-drugs then go and find all your cds and burn them and go delete all your thousands of songs off of your computer because let me tell you something, the people that made all the fantastic music that you love, that inspire you, move you and motivate you were all REAAAAAALLY high on drugs.
That's a fallacy in which you take a philosophical standpoint and apply it in some grotesquely distorted way to real life. Just because we think that people who do drugs are criminals doesn't mean we can't enjoy the music they make, and it doesn't mean that they can't make good music without drugs.

None.

Jul 5 2008, 4:32 am Zell. Post #99

hes saying drugs have a positive effects which i really dont agree with that... I don't think you should need drugs to be happy, but then again don't have it as bad as other people.

None.

Jul 5 2008, 8:59 am Lt.Church Post #100

harold and kumar are very funny movies to me, i wasnt high when i watched them. Guess that means if you dislike doing something when youre sober then doing it intoxicated you enjoy it just proves the point that it alters your state of mind, if you hit someone well driving you might panic and be worried, do it high its no worries giggle and drive away how exactly is that something you want in society?

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 3 4 5 6 78 >
  Back to forum