Staredit Network > Forums > Serious Discussion > Topic: Should Marijuana be legal?
Should Marijuana be legal?
Jun 30 2008, 2:06 am
By: T-MaStAA
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 58 >

Jul 1 2008, 3:16 am Ultraviolet Post #41

Quote from Falkoner
If someone wants to fuck themselves up, FINE, LET THEM. >:-0

And that's where we disagree, some people choose to just let people go wherever they want, others choose to attempt to help them, now if they are so set on hurting themselves that they will go against a law, fine, but there should be at least some restriction.

Are you aware that slave owners also thought they were doing the negroes a favor as well? Their opinion was that their slaves weren't smart enough to live for themselves, so by making them work and giving them food and shelter they were saving them. The fact is, if someone is doing something to harm themselves, they're doing it for a reason. It's not your place to stop someone from doing something because in your view it will harm them. From their view the positive outweighs the negative.

Quote from MadZombie
What? excluding weed mostly everything else hurts u physically and it could never be legalized and defintly shouldnt. though im all for weed and MUSHROOMS.

Doesn't matter if it hurts YOU physically or mentally. It matters if it hurts someone besides you. So long as the only person your harming is yourself, then it's not really anyone else's concern. My right to swing my arm ends where your nose begins ;)

Quote from T-MaStAA
For all you people who say its illegal because impairs your judgment, WHY IS ALCOHOL LEGAL THEN!?! I've done way more fucked up things drunk like getting into fights, burning shit, hooking up with only slightly attractive chicks :><: , the list of wrong doing under the influence of alcohol is incredible. When I'm high, I'm just completely relaxed and in a state of zen. I'd say the effects of alcohol are MUCH worse than marijuana...

I'm totally with you here. Alcohol is just as bad, if not worse than marijuana. It makes no sense for one to be legal and the other to be illegal.

Quote from candle12345
If you can't live your life without requiring chemical enjoyment (excluding things that happen normally in your body, adrenaline, hormones etc.) you're pretty fucking sad. And something I've noticed about most stoners, they're all dipshits spending their money on something which is probably less fun than an evening with friends at a LAN.

Face it, you guys say it's not addictive, so why don't you just quit, it IS a war the government can win, one day they'll find a way to destroy marijuana (look up myxomaximatosis.), but you aren't going to find a way to destroy the government.

There's also this new drug called: Natural High, it's when you think positive and enjoy a long night with pals chatting round a barbeque or even just watching TV together. It has no side effects except wanting a sleepin the next morning, and it's not illegal!

Wow, nerd alert? Honestly, you can't expect everyone to enjoy what you enjoy. Most people, myself included, laugh at your suggestion of a LAN party. However fun that may be for some people, it is not for all, and you can't expect others to find enjoyment there. Just as I can't be expected to enjoy watching a game of football.

And just because something isn't addictive doesn't mean you have to quit. I've been told the computer is addictive. So, why don't I quit? Because it's fucking fun, not because I'm addicted. The same goes for drug users. While I won't argue that all of them aren't addicted, I'd say that a few who make the argument actually are not addicted.

The previous argument about a LAN party applies to the Natural High. If I was sitting around at a barbeque all night I wouldn't get a "natural high", I'd get bored out of my mind. Watching TV does the same thing to me. You expect people to enjoy the same activities as you, and chances are that most have different interests (not necessarily completely different).

Jul 1 2008, 6:09 am Kaias Post #42

Personally, I chose not to use anything that impairs my judgment or abilities. I also find it weak to give in to such indulgences. I can't speak for anyone else, but I like a good challenge or opposition in what I do, and abstaining from such substances is a personal victory. Also, I enjoy maintaining an advantage over those under the influence.

As for whether it should be legal or not, you can theorize all you want as to how it would affect the country, but unless it happens you can never know. I'm content with it staying illegal.

None.

Jul 1 2008, 6:16 am Kaias Post #43

You expect people to enjoy the same activities as you, and chances are that most have different interests (not necessarily completely different).
He was generalizing, of course he never meant this specific occasion for everyone, but rather what we are meant to draw from his connotation applied to respective interests. He never said it but you know it, as was intended, and thats all that really matters.

People are in each others butts over the least of semantics over the internet. Can't people deal with implications?

None.

Jul 1 2008, 7:01 am Ultraviolet Post #44

Quote from Kaias
You expect people to enjoy the same activities as you, and chances are that most have different interests (not necessarily completely different).
He was generalizing, of course he never meant this specific occasion for everyone, but rather what we are meant to draw from his connotation applied to respective interests. He never said it but you know it, as was intended, and thats all that really matters.

People are in each others butts over the least of semantics over the internet. Can't people deal with implications?

My point was that perhaps drug users can only truly enjoy themselves when they are on that drug. Or maybe they are happiest when on the drug. Regardless, I don't think it's fair for us to take that away from them. I can be happy at a party or something, but I'm happiest when I'm playing some computer game (lame I know, whatev :P).

Jul 1 2008, 7:13 am candle12345 Post #45

Quote from name:NerdyTerdy
Blue Words
Replace LAN with social event of your choice, sport, parties, women.

EDIT: Woops, quote fixed.

None.

Jul 1 2008, 8:29 am EzDay281 Post #46

Personally, I chose not to use anything that impairs my judgment or abilities. I also find it weak to give in to such indulgences.
Personally, I chose not to use anything to help keep me amused. I also find it weak to give in to such indulgences. Real, strong men stay happy by sheer willpower alone. ...
Some people may have different values than you. A thing is only to be "weak" if a person does it despite a desire not to.
I should think it implied by Nerdy's post that his point was... different people have different pleasures. Marijuana is simply another among many.
Furthermore, while I'm not particularily familiar with the health affects of marijuana, I'm doubting that, compared to other, legally available drugs, they're extreme enough to counterweigh whatever unique experience is provided. Personally, I enjoy thinking about psychology, and my own mind is the most readily available studysource...
As for the, "smoking marijuana is a waste of time..." unless you people lift weights and read encyclopaedias while playing StarCraft, please don't give me that. ;P
More...
As much as you guys who are on it think it's all great, it has torn apart more families than it has helped, you may argue otherwise, but you're using it, so obviously you think it's a good thing. I know a friend of mine who can no longer live with mom because she got into an accident while under the influence of marijuana while him and his brother were in the car. Anything that tears apart families like that should not be legalized.
Firstly... seems to me that only a minority of the people defending it here actualy smoke the stuff. Personally, I avoid it, and am rather confident in that illegal drugs are something that'll never be directly a part of my life. So there's hardly any bias there.
Secondly, how would you even know how many "families ... it has helped?"
Thirdly, since when is that a point anyways? And lots of things can cause accidents. OHNO that large dog surprised the kid while he was cutting some packaging and he stabbed his eye out, DOGS SHOULD BE ILLEGAL!
Lastly... the "driving while high" thing rather well constitutes "abuse" of the drug. Just like with alcohol. I abhor the prospect of people downing a dozen beers and then hopping to their car's steering wheels, but that doesn't mean I carry a similar detest for people having a single glass of wine, once a month, with their suppers.

... ugh, I'm tired. I'm probably going to be going "... what the fck?" when I wake up and read over this post again, in the morning.

None.

Jul 1 2008, 10:19 am Ultraviolet Post #47

EzDay explained my point well.

Jul 1 2008, 5:32 pm Falkoner Post #48

For all you people who say its illegal because impairs your judgment, WHY IS ALCOHOL LEGAL THEN!?! I've done way more fucked up things drunk like getting into fights, burning shit, hooking up with only slightly attractive chicks :><: , the list of wrong doing under the influence of alcohol is incredible. When I'm high, I'm just completely relaxed and in a state of zen. I'd say the effects of alcohol are MUCH worse than marijuana...

I guess I forgot to add alcohol to the list of things I think shouldn't be legal, I believe that all these drugs, alcohol, marijuana, and such, should be used for medical purposes only, there is no reason to be taking them if you do not need them.

Are you aware that slave owners also thought they were doing the negroes a favor as well? Their opinion was that their slaves weren't smart enough to live for themselves, so by making them work and giving them food and shelter they were saving them. The fact is, if someone is doing something to harm themselves, they're doing it for a reason. It's not your place to stop someone from doing something because in your view it will harm them. From their view the positive outweighs the negative.

Similar events, not the same however, marijuana has been known to hurt people, whether or not it is known to help some, slavery was never truly tested either way. There is no NEED for marijuana, so whether or not some people see the high as a positive, it's not worth it for the few negatives that come out of it, there are other ways to be happy.

None.

Jul 1 2008, 5:36 pm Jello-Jigglers Post #49

Lastly... the "driving while high" thing rather well constitutes "abuse" of the drug. Just like with alcohol. I abhor the prospect of people downing a dozen beers and then hopping to their car's steering wheels, but that doesn't mean I carry a similar detest for people having a single glass of wine, once a month, with their suppers.
Your point seems to state that mj isn't bad until people abuse it. But the problem is, people are always going to abuse something given the chance. Like alcohol, some people are casual drinkers with the once a month wine glass like you said, but there are also the people that waste away their life, their money, their friends and family by drinking. People can even waste away other peoples lives by driving drunk. This is NOT fair to the families of the people killed by drunk/high drivers. You cannot repay them. I wish that being illegal made it deter more people than it does, so as to avoid drunk/high homicide. So i think if the US is gonna make something illegal, they need to back it up with higher punishment for it. I DON'T CARE if it's a higher punishment for mj than it is for coke. If it's illegal, it's illegal, meaning you WILL get punished, and that punishment should be enough that you don't ever consider breaking the laws ever again.

None.

Jul 1 2008, 5:38 pm Jello-Jigglers Post #50

Quote from falk
Quote from someone ignorant enough to say this

Similar events, not the same however, marijuana has been known to hurt people, whether or not it is known to help some, slavery was never truly tested either way. There is no NEED for marijuana, so whether or not some people see the high as a positive, it's not worth it for the few negatives that come out of it, there are other ways to be happy.

Ya you can't even get close to comparing these to events, NerdyTerdy. That is the weakest argument I've heard in my life... tisk tisk.

None.

Jul 1 2008, 5:57 pm Ultraviolet Post #51

Quote from Falkoner

I guess I forgot to add alcohol to the list of things I think shouldn't be legal, I believe that all these drugs, alcohol, marijuana, and such, should be used for medical purposes only, there is no reason to be taking them if you do not need them.

There is no NEED for StarCraft. Stop playing. There is no NEED for SEN. Stop posting.

Quote from Jello-Jigglers
Your point seems to state that mj isn't bad until people abuse it. But the problem is, people are always going to abuse something given the chance. Like alcohol, some people are casual drinkers with the once a month wine glass like you said, but there are also the people that waste away their life, their money, their friends and family by drinking. People can even waste away other peoples lives by driving drunk. This is NOT fair to the families of the people killed by drunk/high drivers. You cannot repay them. I wish that being illegal made it deter more people than it does, so as to avoid drunk/high homicide. So i think if the US is gonna make something illegal, they need to back it up with higher punishment for it. I DON'T CARE if it's a higher punishment for mj than it is for coke. If it's illegal, it's illegal, meaning you WILL get punished, and that punishment should be enough that you don't ever consider breaking the laws ever again.

Anything can be abused, that doesn't mean it should be illegal because SOMEONE will abuse it. These drugs, for the most part, are used safely. Those who do abuse them face pretty serious repercussions.

Quote from stupid fag who thinks he knows something
Quote from falk
Quote from someone ignorant enough to say this

Ya you can't even get close to comparing these to events, NerdyTerdy. That is the weakest argument I've heard in my life... tisk tisk.

Actually it's quite easy. And I did make the comparison. Defend against my point or stfu/gtfo.

Jul 1 2008, 6:10 pm EzDay281 Post #52

Similar events, not the same however, marijuana has been known to hurt people, whether or not it is known to help some, slavery was never truly tested either way.
... rofl?
And for all you know, everything bad that you claim to be a result of marijuana use could, by some amazing chance, be completely unrelated.
There is no NEED for marijuana, so whether or not some people see the high as a positive, it's not worth it for the few negatives that come out of it, there are other ways to be happy.
There is no NEED for StarCraft, so whether or not some people see the entertainment value as a positive, it's not worth it for the few negatives that come out of it, there are other ways to be happy.
... answer our arguments on that exact topic before you try saying, "This is true, that's it."
Your point seems to state that mj isn't bad until people abuse it. But the problem is, people are always going to abuse something given the chance. Like alcohol, some people are casual drinkers with the once a month wine glass like you said, but there are also the people that waste away their life, their money, their friends and family by drinking.
Just like with gambling, cars, computers, pets, and random everyday objects that can be used in armed assault.
See also: prohibition.
I wish that being illegal made it deter more people than it does, so as to avoid drunk/high homicide.
Unfortunately, it obviously doesn't "deter more people than it does," eh?
On the other hand, when legalized, it is far easier to regulate and educate people. More users will be the relatively sane people that don't do stupid things with the drug, and would be able to help keep less-controlled friends in line.
See also: prohibition. It's been brought up in the topic before, anyways.
I DON'T CARE if it's a higher punishment for mj than it is for coke. If it's illegal, it's illegal, meaning you WILL get punished,
Tell that to the many people who aren't caught.
And
no ur wrong[/conspicuous lack of any kind of reasonable argument]

None.

Jul 1 2008, 6:23 pm Lt.Church Post #53

There are a few points i'd like to make about various things going on in the post although far too many to qoute so let me try to address a few.

Marijuana doesn't cause physical harm, FALSE there has been scientific proof that heavy use of marijuana shrinks certain braincells and prolonged use(heavy or not) lowers oxygen in the bloodflow to the brain which result in it making you "stupid".

The only people marijuana helps are people who use it for medical benefits not SELFmedication but for things such as glaucoma,AIDs,bone concer,etc etc. Anyone who was "helped" by it and didnt use it to assist disease or serious disorder could of easily been helped by other means.

As those lame infomercials say its a gateway drug sadly i know first hand it is as ive seen more than 1friend move up into more damaging substances...

None.

Jul 1 2008, 6:31 pm Ultraviolet Post #54

Quote from Lt.Church
There are a few points i'd like to make about various things going on in the post although far too many to qoute so let me try to address a few.

Marijuana doesn't cause physical harm, FALSE there has been scientific proof that heavy use of marijuana shrinks certain braincells and prolonged use(heavy or not) lowers oxygen in the bloodflow to the brain which result in it making you "stupid".

The only people marijuana helps are people who use it for medical benefits not SELFmedication but for things such as glaucoma,AIDs,bone concer,etc etc. Anyone who was "helped" by it and didnt use it to assist disease or serious disorder could of easily been helped by other means.

As those lame infomercials say its a gateway drug sadly i know first hand it is as ive seen more than 1friend move up into more damaging substances...

It's not your job to worry about other people's well being. It's certainly not your job to physically stop them from hurting themselves. It's their body, let them do with it as they please, so long as they don't harm others.

The only argument I can possibly see against it as that while on the drug people have an increased potential to harm others if doing activities like driving. The solution? Don't drive. If alcohol is legal, marijuana sure as hell should be.

Jul 1 2008, 8:18 pm Twitch Post #55

Quote from Lt.Church

So I guess so smoking cigarettes doesn't do this huh tats fucking odd.Cigs do however cause cancer of all sorts and even second hand smoke cancer.
Beer can make you so unstable you can harm someone or yourself.

Really the only thing pot has ever done to me is calm me down and make me laugh.I am also still making a's and b's mind you.

None.

Jul 1 2008, 10:15 pm Atlos Post #56

Ok. First of all, how are you weak for smoking marijuana? You guys realize people do it because it's fun, right? It's not like those videos you watched in health class where some big bad playground bully and his friends force you to smoke a joint. Most people I know smoke at parties because it's fun to get fucked up with your friends. Marijuana should be legalized so that the responsible people can have a good time. The people who aren't responsible (smoke and then drive) will get caught and locked up.

None.

Jul 1 2008, 10:53 pm Lt.Church Post #57

everyone who is criticizing my opinion did i once say that i think currently legal drugs are good no? i personally think all cars should include breathalizers and cigarettes and cigars become illegal, theyre extremely dangerous and using drugs for non medical purposes is just stupid and selfdestructive, just because its fun doesnt mean people should be able to do it; im sure Albert Fish thought pedophilia,murder,rape,and cannibalizism was fun, why else would he do it; was it a good thing, no.

None.

Jul 2 2008, 12:13 am Atlos Post #58

Quote from Lt.Church
everyone who is criticizing my opinion did i once say that i think currently legal drugs are good no? i personally think all cars should include breathalizers and cigarettes and cigars become illegal, theyre extremely dangerous and using drugs for non medical purposes is just stupid and selfdestructive, just because its fun doesnt mean people should be able to do it; im sure Albert Fish thought pedophilia,murder,rape,and cannibalizism was fun, why else would he do it; was it a good thing, no.
His "fun" was harming people and infringing upon others rights; doing drugs for recreational use does not.

None.

Jul 2 2008, 4:23 am Zell. Post #59

I think everyone should do what they want to a have sex with fat girls. We already tried to end people from drinking, prohibition anyone? Although because of our government and the systems in place we shouldn't. Us americans have higher standards of morals! I think how it overall affects people, the economy, and every little thing is more negative than positive.

None.

Jul 2 2008, 6:30 am JaBoK Post #60

Okay, personal opinion, so of course this is debatable.

It should be illegal to do drugs, because they are damaging to a person, and although they have positive effects, they are only superficial and do not outweigh the negative effects. This choice should not be in the hands of the individual, because people tend to make bad decisions with temporary immediate gratification. Basically, people are too focused on personal enjoyment to think about long term effects, and as such it is unethical to allow them to do harm to themselves, whether or not they want to do it. If you want proof that people make bad decisions, take a look at juvenile delinquents, crack addicts, etc. I've heard quite a few stories of people who start at weed and move on to harder drugs. It's better for society if drugs aren't available, and nipping it in the bud is the best way to go about it, since marijuana is the most common drug among teenagers and other young people.

There's an argument, probably a bit right wing. Basically, in my opinion, people are too dumb to look after themselves, and need help in doing so. Illegalizing drugs is a great way of helping people avoid the negative effects of them.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 58 >
  Back to forum