Staredit Network > Forums > Staredit Network > Topic: Moderators need markings
Moderators need markings
Jun 28 2008, 4:22 am
By: Hercanic
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >

Jun 29 2008, 6:30 pm Corbo Post #21

ALL PRAISE YOUR SUPREME LORD CORBO

Then show some of that respect and don't disagree with me.

It would make waaaay too much elitism to those who do not deserve it that's why and Elitism is sooo sen v4

fuck you all

Jun 29 2008, 7:30 pm Hercanic Post #22

STF mod creator, Modcrafters.com admin, CampaignCreations.org staff

Moderator marking aside, if a moderator is elitist he should most likely not be a moderator either way.

Jun 30 2008, 8:05 am pneumatic Post #23

Quote from Hercanic
Moderator marking aside, if a moderator is elitist he should most likely not be a moderator either way.
You're, like, elitist too.

http://www.staredit.net/topic/3563/

http://www.staredit.net/topic/3496/

None.

Jun 30 2008, 8:25 am Fisty Post #24

How about the little mineral or vespene gas icon for displaying your resource count?

EDIT:
Mineral:

Gas:

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Jun 30 2008, 8:37 am by Deathman101.

None.

Jun 30 2008, 10:05 am Hercanic Post #25

Dear Razorsnail:
And those show elitism how?

Jul 17 2008, 7:51 pm Demented Shaman Post #26

Noobs, get to know who the mods are and then there's no problem. SEN isn't some place with a million cops who are a bunch of strangers. :-_-:

However it would be cool if you brought back the spinners

None.

Jul 17 2008, 8:02 pm Hercanic Post #27

Devilesk, how does getting to know who the mods are help when new ones are promoted or demoted? What about new users, or people who've come back from long absences? Markings are simple and effective, and desperately needed.

A tiny marine or wraith image prefix might be cool for moderators to go along with the globe icon administrators have. Or maybe an interceptor, or some map doodad. Or maybe the Lockdown spell effect from a Ghost (actually, that might be badass as a replacement for the locked icon on threads). Maybe the Defense Matrix or one of the blue stars in a Scanner Sweep might work. Or what about the Psi Disruptor/Emitter, Data Disc, or Uraj/Khalis/Khaydarin Crystal powerup? Plenty of possibilities.

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Jul 17 2008, 8:13 pm by Hercanic.

Jul 17 2008, 8:17 pm Demented Shaman Post #28

Quote from Hercanic
Devilesk, how does getting to know who the mods are help when new ones are promoted or demoted? What about new users, or people who've come back from long absences? Markings are simple and effective, and desperately needed.
They aren't desperately needed at all.

None.

Jul 17 2008, 8:42 pm Hercanic Post #29

In my decade of forum administration experience, I can tell you that yes, it is needed. There is no purpose in concealing who moderators are, and it only detracts from their effectiveness. When it is plain that someone is a moderator, people listen. If people misinterprete them as just another forum user, people see no obligation to heed their words. A lot of potential problems are avoided with a simple tag.

Quote from devilesk
You completely ignored my preceding reasons. When you consistently don't back up your assertions, always playing the "no-man" (disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing), you're essentially trolling.

Jul 17 2008, 8:48 pm Demented Shaman Post #30

Quote from Hercanic
In my decade of forum administration experience, I can tell you that yes, it is needed. There is no purpose in concealing who moderators are, and it only detracts from their effectiveness. When it is plain that someone is a moderator, people listen. If people misinterprete them as just another forum user, people see no obligation to heed their words. A lot of potential problems are avoided with a simple tag.

Quote from devilesk
You completely ignored my preceding reasons. When you consistently don't back up your assertions, always playing the "no-man" (disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing), you're essentially trolling.
Mountains out of molehills.

None.

Jul 17 2008, 8:57 pm 49281358723941702706 Post #31

Re-add the moderator markings plz. It is a pain to look at the category each time you want to see who the moderators are...

None.

Jul 17 2008, 9:20 pm Vi3t-X Post #32

Bolded names and/or Underlines may resolve this.

None.

Jul 17 2008, 9:29 pm Corbo Post #33

ALL PRAISE YOUR SUPREME LORD CORBO

Quote from Gamma
Re-add the moderator markings plz. It is a pain to look at the category each time you want to see who the moderators are...

Wait, so you mean it's easier for you to go through searching in every single forum/post and probably find a moderator that posted there rather then, if you wanted to, look at every single moderator in a just one click away page?

That's odd.

fuck you all

Jul 17 2008, 9:39 pm Moose Post #34

We live in a society.

http://www.staredit.net/?p=staff

Jul 17 2008, 9:48 pm WoAHorde Post #35

Remove name colour and set it apart for groups/staff/etc. Re add nameglow, etc.

None.

Jul 17 2008, 9:50 pm Hercanic Post #36

Dear Devilesk:
It is unreasonable to expect thousands of users, some of whom only casually visit this forum, to memorize and remember a list of moderators when a special tag that can be consistently found on any and every other forum suffices. That list has changed a number of times, too, such as Syphon being demoted or Esponeo being promoted and then demoted. Are these changes publicly announced as news on the main site? No, they often transpire in an obscure thread that the majority of the population are unlikely to read. It is a recipe for confusion, even the potential for abuse (an angry ex-moderator could still make demands or threats against people unaware of his now-unofficial nature).

I have cited real occurrences of problems the lack of mod tags has caused throughout this thread. I have backed up my statements with numerous reasons and can speak from personal experience as an administrator. You have not yet refuted any of those statements with your own explained reasons, nor provided a single strong reason why moderators should not have tags. All you have contributed is an unreasonable expectation, which compounded by your 'noobs' insult is nothing more than elitism. The spinners, though, are great. Kudos. Aside from that, you have regressed into single sentence, 4-6 word responses that are unsupported and disruptive in nature.

Until you bring more to the table, I can only interpret your actions as trolling. I will not feed that behavior. Support your assertions. I will not respond to any further messages here from you until you do that. I PMed you once about this before, now I am making it clear publicly.

Thank you, and good day.

Dear everyone:
I'm surprised no one has pointed to this or this (using the group dropdown for moderators). The memberlist sorting is flawed, though, as it only displays global moderators and not forum-specific moderators. The Staff list is also flawed, as it isn't updated. Voyager left, for instance.

Several times I've looked for exactly these sort of listings and always came up empty-handed. They are obscure to find, thus the average user is unlikely to stumble across them to learn who his moderators are. The fact that no dissenters of the tag idea have used these in their arguments indicates to me that they themselves were not aware of the lists, furthering my point about their obscurity.

EDIT: Lol, I see while I was writing, Moose posted the staff list. Still, my points stand (especially the flaws), as Moose is an admin and should know the entire workings of this forum, whereas normal members will not.

Jul 17 2008, 9:51 pm Atlos Post #37

I can say that it's frustrating to not know when someone posting is a moderator. Who is/isn't a moderator can change at anytime and I'd rather not have to look at the staff page every week or so to keep myself updated on who the current moderators are. Honestly, before this topic I never knew that KillerKow and Corbo were moderators... (sorry guys lol). It would be much easier to just have a symbol next to their name when posting like the admins already have. Also, bring the elitism back. :P For support communities such as this one, it's helpful to know who trusted/longtime members are. Back in v4, the gold/green names would allow newbies to know who's experienced and been at the site for a while.

Basically I'm in agreement with Hercanic.

None.

Jul 17 2008, 10:05 pm Demented Shaman Post #38

Quote from Hercanic
Dear Devilesk:
It is unreasonable to expect thousands of users, some of whom only casually visit this forum, to memorize and remember a list of moderators when a special tag that can be consistently found on any and every other forum suffices. That list has changed a number of times, too, such as Syphon being demoted or Esponeo being promoted and then demoted. Are these changes publicly announced as news on the main site? No, they often transpire in an obscure thread that the majority of the population are unlikely to read. It is a recipe for confusion, even the potential for abuse (an angry ex-moderator could still make demands or threats against people unaware of his now-unofficial nature).

I have cited real occurrences of problems the lack of mod tags has caused throughout this thread. I have backed up my statements with numerous reasons and can speak from personal experience as an administrator. You have not yet refuted any of those statements with your own explained reasons, nor provided a single strong reason why moderators should not have tags. All you have contributed is an unreasonable expectation, which compounded by your 'noobs' insult is nothing more than elitism. The spinners, though, are great. Kudos. Aside from that, you have regressed into single sentence, 4-6 word responses that are unsupported and disruptive in nature.

Until you bring more to the table, I can only interpret your actions as trolling. I will not feed that behavior. Support your assertions. I will not respond to any further messages here from you until you do that. I PMed you once about this before, now I am making it clear publicly.

Thank you, and good day.

Dear everyone:
I'm surprised no one has pointed to this or this (using the group dropdown for moderators). The memberlist sorting is flawed, though, as it only displays global moderators and not forum-specific moderators. The Staff list is also flawed, as it isn't updated. Voyager left, for instance.

Several times I've looked for exactly these sort of listings and always came up empty-handed. They are obscure to find, thus the average user is unlikely to stumble across them to learn who his moderators are. The fact that no dissenters of the tag idea have used these in their arguments indicates to me that they themselves were not aware of the lists, furthering my point about their obscurity.

EDIT: Lol, I see while I was writing, Moose posted the staff list. Still, my points stand (especially the flaws), as Moose is an admin and should know the entire workings of this forum, whereas normal members will not.
Casual members don't need to know who the mods are.

None.

Jul 17 2008, 10:06 pm Moose Post #39

We live in a society.

Quote from Hercanic
an angry ex-moderator could still make demands or threats against people unaware of his now-unofficial nature
Markings are irrelevant to this. Nobody should be getting away with making such threats regardless of whether or not they have credibility showing they can make good on them.

I do, however, agree that markings are necessary. Since IP is "active" again, I will discuss it with him.

Jul 17 2008, 10:44 pm Hercanic Post #40

Quote from Mini Moose
Markings are irrelevant to this. Nobody should be getting away with making such threats regardless of whether or not they have credibility showing they can make good on them.
You should have seen my PM box when Pyro-Fire was let go; wow was that kid psycho. I still have a screenshot of one of his messages. I took it because I intended to show that the curse filter didn't work on PM titles, just the message contents. Then SEN went down for like 6 months or however long that was. =oP

In any case, I mean threats like "do this or you'll be banned/fined", not "do this or I'll kill you". =o) Now, the reverse is also true. Getting a PM from a moderator when you don't know that they're a moderator. I've experienced this here, and it affected how I perceived their message.

Title: Dear Herc
Stop beginning posts with dear xxx, it's spam.
Seems kind of demanding if from a normal poster, doesn't it?

Quote from Hercanic
How?

It pads the space of your post, without adding anything to it.
Around this point I noticed some of my posts had been edited, the "Dear [Name]" removed, with the explanation saying that I'd been warned. It was only then that it was apparent that he was a moderator. I was having posts edited for a warning that I did not even realize was a real warning.

Quote from Hercanic
It's a single four-letter, one-syllable word used as an address of politeness. I use it wherever I go. Now, I understand there is a money/mineral system on this forum, and although I have no idea what it's based on, I'll simply wager it's by character count. Quite frankly, I couldn't give a damn about virtual money. As I said, I use that form of address anywhere I go, so my intentions on this forum are not to "pad out my posts".

I've defended this issue before on Maplantis, which I believe you were witness to. So, I will not repeat myself. Let me be perfectly clear. I will not drop the Dear. Period. I would sooner depart from this community. If I am truly breaking a rule of this forum by typing "Dear", I apologize, and I will take my time elsewhere.

My only problem, is that some other people may pick up on it, and other annoying habits like signing their posts. I'll let it go for now, but if I have to start cracking down on lots of members, or people start complaining, prepare to depart.

(And yes, it is char count.)

Quote from Hercanic
Eh, if that's the real issue just keep me in the negatives for minerals.

If you don't care about them you can disable them as well, and they won't be able to say anything. :P
That's when I learned I could turn off minerals, so that's exactly what I did.

Quote from Hercanic
Just a heads up, I edited back in the one count I noticed where you edited out my "Dear Dapperdan:", since we seem to have resolved this issue amicably. Without that line, it's not entirely clear to whom I'm speaking to if not viewed in proper context, as others had posted inbetween.

I must admit, however, that how you initially approached the situation rather ruffled my feathers. From simply demanding that I stop because it was "spam" without further explaination, followed by editing of a posts where for the reason written was "I told you to stop". All very short and demanding, without much supporting rational until I dug deeper with my questioning. Heck, until I saw your edit, I didn't even know you were a moderator. I just thought you were some weird kook irked somehow by a harmless word. That perspective made your PMs seem even more ludicrous.

Ya. All the mods are hidden on v5. For some reason.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >
  Back to forum