Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Terrain > Topic: Terrain Hall of Fame
Terrain Hall of Fame
Jun 4 2008, 10:31 pm
By: Falkoner
Pages: < 1 « 16 17 18 19 2033 >

Aug 31 2008, 9:59 pm Excalibur Post #341

The sword and the faith

Quote from Falkoner
Yeah, but when I had it as a ladder everyone started complaining..
No, like two people who weren't doing well were complaining. And fuck that. If people (Like myself) aren't going to participate in it just for the sake of doing it rather than competition, I think that overall activity > opinions of a few people. Notice the decline since it went from ladder to hall? I do.

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Aug 31 2008, 10:12 pm The Great Yam Post #342

It's just ridiculous to have two ladders.

Why not just have 1 ladder, so people like you can "do well", and a hall of fame where NOTABLE pieces go?

You notice how nicely I'm ranked with my mighty postings of 6 pictures? I'm not concerned with the recognition of this forum. I've made a large library of blends in my time, I don't have anything to prove to you. Part of the thing that interferes with the suggest of the hall of fame is the 17+ PAGES OF DISCUSSION.

Also that people think this is just the topic to post your terrain in. It should've never been allowed to get this way, even if it means people like you are "losing motivation". How gives two shits about your terrain that you post SOLELY to show off? Not to share, or that you're going to use. Just to earn some points on the recognition board.

Great work.

None.

Aug 31 2008, 10:31 pm Falkoner Post #343

A: This is really a replacement for the ladder, I gave it a different name, 'cuz I felt like it, and what's wront with 17 pages of discussion? Everything it contained in the front, it's fine. We really don't have two ladders, we only have one, if we make this a ladder.

None.

Aug 31 2008, 10:39 pm The Great Yam Post #344

Why do you need to replace the ladder with another ladder? Why even have two ladders? And why should a "Hall of Fame" be a terrain ladder?

It just means people are going to post alot of crap or mediocre terrain to get a "high score". Leave that to the ladder.

The hall of Fame should be gathering terrain from THREADS which people are no longer POSTING because everyone just wants a spot on the HIGH SCORE BOARD.

The proper mandate must be set: You should be peering through terrain threads and posts, maps, etc. Find pieces that are really extraordinary, IE, featuring new/interesting blends, that are creative, and actually look good, and put them in the Hall of Fame because they rise above the rest.

I mean, it's not like the Baseball Hall of Fame is a ladder, with maximum home runs putting their name at the top, it's a compendium of great players. It's like you don't even know what the phrase means.

None.

Aug 31 2008, 10:43 pm Falkoner Post #345

Okay, I could change the name, nonetheless, I would rather have many mediocre pieces of terrain than nothing. One good piece is equal to many many crappier ones, so if you want to make some seriously good terrain, it will get you up in the ladder, as I said, quantity and quality matter in it, I believe I will be converting it back to a ladder in the near future.

None.

Sep 1 2008, 1:00 am lil-Inferno Post #346

Just here for the pie

Quote from Falkoner
Okay, I could change the name, nonetheless, I would rather have many mediocre pieces of terrain than nothing. One good piece is equal to many many crappier ones, so if you want to make some seriously good terrain, it will get you up in the ladder, as I said, quantity and quality matter in it, I believe I will be converting it back to a ladder in the near future.
Yeah, but if a good piece features something new and the crappy pieces just show known and overused blends, I think the new piece should be ranked higher. It's like, say, you pay about $60 for most video games nowadays, right? Would you rather have 10 crappy games for $600 or a great game for $60? I assume the great game because otherwise you'd be wasting money. There wasn't really a similarity there, but whatever :P.

Sep 1 2008, 1:01 am Jello-Jigglers Post #347

Maybe we should pm you the terrain, like the old ladder, and then people can discuss here?

[edit]
(Falk I tried to pm you but your inbox is full... I have a submission for ya... Pm me when you're not full)

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Sep 1 2008, 5:05 am by Jello-Jigglers.

None.

Sep 1 2008, 5:11 pm Falkoner Post #348

It's not... I guess I have to do the PM reset thing, also I don't care if you post here, it's all good.

Yeah, but if a good piece features something new and the crappy pieces just show known and overused blends, I think the new piece should be ranked higher. It's like, say, you pay about $60 for most video games nowadays, right? Would you rather have 10 crappy games for $600 or a great game for $60? I assume the great game because otherwise you'd be wasting money. There wasn't really a similarity there, but whatever :P .

As I said, it's quantity and quality, using your same example, the way it's currently set up, I turn in one brand new videogame for $50, and I turn in 10 old crappy ones for 5$ a piece, I get the same value.

None.

Sep 1 2008, 9:16 pm Jello-Jigglers Post #349

Ok well i posted it in terrain competition thread. it's the lab :) And I changed the subway. It's also in there.

None.

Oct 6 2008, 8:08 am KrayZee Post #350

Frozen Dock

None.

Oct 6 2008, 11:25 pm Falkoner Post #351

Ooooh! I love it, awesome job!

None.

Oct 7 2008, 3:49 am stickynote Post #352

Good Job! It's about time this topic had some reviving as well.

None.

Oct 7 2008, 3:59 am Jello-Jigglers Post #353

Well I thought falk quit updating? Falk you should add my stuff from the terrain competition.

None.

Oct 8 2008, 1:06 am Falkoner Post #354

Sorry, sorry, I've been incredibly busy lately, and I have like 3 projects due tomorrow, when I get some spare time I'll update it all. I should have it at least during next week, as I have the whole week of school off :)

None.

Nov 16 2008, 8:13 pm payne Post #355

:payne:

I'd like to submit this: http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee21/Jello-Jigglers/Waterfalls/Swift_ninjasWaterfall.gif
From Swift_ninja's :D

None.

Nov 18 2008, 1:41 pm payne Post #356

Oh! And add these too: http://doodle77.dyndns.org/staticsen.php?st=25566 ;P

None.

Nov 18 2008, 11:36 pm stickynote Post #357

I thought this topic was dead....
I like the cave in the waterfall, though.

None.

Nov 19 2008, 12:52 am Falkoner Post #358

Payne, I'd love to add it, but I'm not allowing submissions for other people, not to mention half those people aren't active anymore, I want to kinda keep this as a more personal thing, I admit that if I was really doing a Hall of Fame, I would do that, but this is really just a wall of fame for current SeN.

And no, this is not dead, if people would submit terrain, I would add it.

None.

Nov 19 2008, 2:36 pm JaFF Post #359

Quote from Falkoner
Payne, I'd love to add it, but I'm not allowing submissions for other people, not to mention half those people aren't active anymore, I want to kinda keep this as a more personal thing, I admit that if I was really doing a Hall of Fame, I would do that, but this is really just a wall of fame for current SeN.

And no, this is not dead, if people would submit terrain, I would add it.
Wait. This topic should be for all great terrain. Without exeptions. The fact that those people aren't around anymore is irrelevant - their work is still good material for mappers to learn from and be inspired by.

None.

Nov 19 2008, 2:59 pm payne Post #360

Yep!
Have WoodenFire been active those days? I don't think so (too lazy to check his profile :P) ;-)

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 16 17 18 19 2033 >
  Back to forum