Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: Why not Warcraft III?
Why not Warcraft III?
May 29 2008, 10:03 pm
By: fritfrat
Pages: < 1 2 3

May 31 2008, 9:09 pm Centreri Post #41

Relatively ancient and inactive

I can't wait until SC map makers (HAY, THATS U GUSY!) get to SCII. After an initial period of stagnation while everyone learns the ropes, we'll kick those WCIII mappers asses.

None.

May 31 2008, 9:20 pm chuiu Post #42

Immediately after I'm done with the campaign I'll start my first map, so that won't be long.

None.

May 31 2008, 9:34 pm Centreri Post #43

Relatively ancient and inactive

I'm trying to convince myself to make a SCII Phantom before even playing SCII. I'm not sure how well that'll work, though :P.

None.

May 31 2008, 10:08 pm dumbducky Post #44

It would work about as well as SC1 Phantom.

tits

Jun 1 2008, 12:40 pm JaFF Post #45

It may seem wierd, but I was first introduced to WC3, and only then to SC. I used to play WC3 and make maps for it, but something is just wrong with that game... on the outside, it may look good (hell, I even enjoyed the cartoonish unit models), but there is something that I don't like, which prevents me from doing back to WC3, even when I lose motivation to do anything SC-related.

None.

Jun 3 2008, 1:11 am New-Guy Post #46

I'm too lazy to make any money so I can get it.

None.

Jun 3 2008, 1:29 am MadZombie Post #47

CUZ STARKRAFT EZ EN SPAES!!! AND WURKRAFT ES NOT

None.

Jun 3 2008, 1:32 am LoveLess Post #48

Let me show you how to hump without making love.

Quote from name:fritfrat(U)
The world editor...
made it it less fun.

This.

None.

Jun 3 2008, 4:15 pm fritfrat Post #49

I actually found a rather interesting thread on accident when googling for something else... its on the website for the developer of Sins of a Solar Empire, so naturally there is a little starcraft hate and accusations of why they got so popular, but I think that there is a lot of really interesting analysis about starcraft/warcraft III/starcraft II when you get past both the Sins and SC fanboys :P I'd recommend replies 19, 32, 36, and 93 for starters. Any discussion?

http://forums.stardock.com/309098/page/1

None.

Jun 3 2008, 4:49 pm Riney Post #50

Thigh high affectionado

If anyone from WC3 tries to make Dota on SCII, we kill them

Riney#6948 on Discord.
Riney on Steam (Steam)
@RineyCat on Twitter

-- Updated as of December 2021 --

Jun 3 2008, 5:29 pm Fisty Post #51

I was thinking after reading the news post.. what is everyone's personal reason that they play and map for Starcraft instead of Warcraft III? For people who do both, why do you still play starcraft? The world editor is much more powerful than staredit.

My personal reason is that I didn't like the implementation of heroes and items into the game, which for me made it it less fun.. but I am really not quite sure about this, and I am curious to hear other people's reasons. I'd be especially interested for those that have played a lot of different RTS games or made maps for Warcraft III. I was extremely excited for the Warcraft III BETA and played it as it developed, but I am still not sure why I had no inclination to go back and play Warcraft III after 6 months or so, whereas I was for Starcraft.

WarCraft is too bright for me. I hate how cartoony it is.

None.

Jun 3 2008, 6:14 pm fritfrat Post #52

I think one of the biggest factors as to why DotA got so popular on Warcraft III was that their attempt at making almost a "role playing strategy" (with an emphasis on heroes, items, and leveling up) instead of a "real time strategy" game really failed in people having fun playing melee. DotA was made and its gameplay actually used the Warcraft III engine for what it centered around- heroes, items, and leveling up- and therefore became an extremely popular game. In that sense, even if DotA is made for starcraft II, it won't become as popular because that's not what starcraft II's gameplay will be like.

And come on, there will be cooler things to make for starcraft II than just starcraft II phantom :P

None.

Jun 3 2008, 6:23 pm Riney Post #53

Thigh high affectionado

Trigger based upgrades, and unit models with Dual pistols.

I smell Resident Evil RPG's amist

Riney#6948 on Discord.
Riney on Steam (Steam)
@RineyCat on Twitter

-- Updated as of December 2021 --

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3
  Back to forum