Staredit Network > Forums > Technology & Computers > Topic: PC vs Mac vs Linux
PC vs Mac vs Linux
Apr 29 2008, 8:37 pm
By: Intranetusa
Pages: < 1 « 3 4 5 6 78 >

May 4 2008, 9:55 pm dumbducky Post #81

Quote from name:Yoshi
- When I had vista on my laptop it went EXTREMELY hot while idle. XP nor Ubuntu did this.
- The permission escelation is annoying, for the regular user they may not see it that often, but for me I saw it really often.
- The requirements are really high, I keep xp on the older machines in my house so they can still run the games they used to.
- I don't like the tactics that MS is using in regards to gaming with Vista. They make certain games "vista exclusive" although they don't need to be and the windows live service is just an exuse to bring a xbox money hording model to PC gamers.
- I don't know why Direct X 10 needed to be Vista exclusive. I've heard some people say something about a new driver model but that sounds like only 1 vista sepcific feature that shouldn't keep the entire Direct X from going to Xp.
- The jump from Windows 3.1 to 98 was huge (gui completely changed), and the jump from 98 to XP was huge (more stable). The jump from XP to Vista however is not so great.
- A lot of originally promised features in vista didn't actually make it in there, plus with all the problems it makes you wonder if its worth paying all that money for a unfinished product.

Thats all I can think of so far.
1. That's weird
2. It's not annoying as far as I've used it. It only pops up when I mess with system settings or install things, which is the same as Ubuntu or just about any other OS.
3. Valid complaint.
4. Halo 2 is the only Vista exlusive I can think of, and I'm pretty sure that was cracked to run on XP. Windows Live is free as far as I can think of, it's just a bunch of online services.
5. DX10 does use the new driver model, which means that your hardware can either run DX10 or not. It wouldn't make sense to have portions of DX10 work on XP and some parts not.
6. Your analogy skips an OS except for Vista. It should be 3.1:98::2000:Vista. Vista is vastly better than Windows 2000.
7. A semi-valid complaint. WinFS and other features were scrapped early in development, long before RC1.

tits

May 4 2008, 11:39 pm mikelat Post #82

2. They were more frequent in windows than ubuntu. Simple things required permission escalation, this is probably because MS took so long to include such a feature.
4. Its free if you want to join games. If you want to host them then you pay a monthly fee. Additionally its a step back into more of a interface and features tailored for a console instead of a PC. I know its been cracked but the fact remains why did they make it exclusive in the first place?
5. Two versions of the DirectX would work fine. The problem is it'd be discouraging migration to their new operating system.
6. 2000 wasn't popular though. There was Windows ME and Windows 95, however those were not nearly as popular either, like they weren't revolutionary that people went out of their way to get them, people just got them with their computers.

None.

May 5 2008, 1:01 am Syphon Post #83

2000 was pretty popular... And so was 95...

None.

May 5 2008, 1:12 am mikelat Post #84

More than ME, granted, but 98 and XP and 3.1 were way more popular as far as I know.

None.

May 5 2008, 3:28 am Laser Dude Post #85

Quote from Syphon
The best feature that Vista adds over XP is the redesigned Windows Explorer. And it can run at full settings on older systems... My computer is almost 4 years old, and it runs Vista fine.

They redesigned it to look like a glassy-skinned version of Nautilis. I'm serious.

Vista isn't neccessarily too slow, but it is bloated, and things are very hard to find in their filesystem (Well, it's not that, it's that you actually have reason to go looking for them...), for example, in order to add an entry to the menu, you need to go to OS/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/Start Menu/Programs. Who would look there?

I agree with Yoshi on gaming and permissions.

Vista also still lacks any security, although I'm sure they have a pretty big deal with the AV and Firewall companies to keep it that way. If Windows were as secure as Linux, AV and Firewall companies would be bankrupt.

When people are insulting Vista, I don't usually mind unless they're just people who hop on the bandwagon, in which case I can't stand them.

Windows Vista has a bug which I never figured out a solution to that every few minutes it roars the CPU into action while idle. This is especially annoying in "sleep" mode, because when I can't even be next to my idle computer for ten minutes without it roaring the fan at top volume, there's a problem. It's not just me, all the people I know who have Vista have had this problem.\

------

Some things people make for Linux are far too entertaining to ever be usable in a real desktop. I mean, I've burned several hours already on akamaru. :P

None.

May 5 2008, 7:13 am mikelat Post #86

Windows Vista has a bug which I never figured out a solution to that every few minutes it roars the CPU into action while idle. This is especially annoying in "sleep" mode, because when I can't even be next to my idle computer for ten minutes without it roaring the fan at top volume, there's a problem. It's not just me, all the people I know who have Vista have had this problem.
What your describing could be what was causing my laptop to go hot. I disabled a bunch of things like antivirus and indexing but it still did it. Its really weird.

None.

May 5 2008, 2:27 pm ShadowFlare Post #87

- When I had vista on my laptop it went EXTREMELY hot while idle. XP nor Ubuntu did this.
Was that a fresh install or a pre-installed copy? If it was pre-installed, there may have been some program that was occasionally resetting Vista's cpu power saving settings to 100% minimum/maximum speed (I've seen this on my own laptop and haven't yet figured out what is doing it). Usually what makes me notice is either the battery life estimate being lower than usual or the laptop being hotter than usual. Normally Vista adjusts the cpu speed on a laptop based on how much the cpu is being used, saving power and generating less heat when it is relatively idle.

Quote from Laser Dude
Vista isn't neccessarily too slow, but it is bloated, and things are very hard to find in their filesystem (Well, it's not that, it's that you actually have reason to go looking for them...), for example, in order to add an entry to the menu, you need to go to OS/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/Start Menu/Programs. Who would look there?
Who does it that way when you can just right-click on the Start button and click either Explore or Explore All Users to get to it? :rolleyes:

None.

May 5 2008, 5:05 pm mikelat Post #88

Was that a fresh install or a pre-installed copy? If it was pre-installed, there may have been some program that was occasionally resetting Vista's cpu power saving settings to 100% minimum/maximum speed (I've seen this on my own laptop and haven't yet figured out what is doing it). Usually what makes me notice is either the battery life estimate being lower than usual or the laptop being hotter than usual. Normally Vista adjusts the cpu speed on a laptop based on how much the cpu is being used, saving power and generating less heat when it is relatively idle.
Fresh. It was the very last release candidate I installed, and from what I know it still happens.

I tried setting a bunch of options. I don't remember what I did because it was a while ago but I had real trouble nailing down the problem because I tried changing a lot of options and disabling a lot of services with no effect.

None.

May 5 2008, 6:17 pm AntiSleep Post #89

Gaming, legacy, and custom software: WinXP
Embedded applications, servers, old hardware: *nix of choice
Content creation: MacOS
New computer users: MacOS or Ubuntu
Experienced computer users: any/all of the above.

I use MacOS, Win2k, and a couple linux variants on a regular basis.

None.

May 5 2008, 8:15 pm Intranetusa Post #90

I'm sorry, but I've already lost count. :><:

Yeh, Vista requires significantly more RAM & hardware capabilities to run than XP...so that's probably why your PC temperature was higher.

None.

May 5 2008, 8:47 pm mikelat Post #91

Quote from Intranetusa
Yeh, Vista requires significantly more RAM & hardware capabilities to run than XP...so that's probably why your PC temperature was higher.
My question is, the operating systems both function virtually the same, so what on earth does it need to be doing while I'm idle?

XP has indexing as well but doesnt heat up my computer while its idle. My laptop runs cooler while im using it then when its idle with vista, that makes no sense.

None.

May 5 2008, 10:34 pm Praetor Post #92

layin' in the cut

Quote from Praetor
With, if I remember correctly, a 10 GB paging file?
You have no idea how it works so don't pretend to know.
Yes, I do, so don't assume I don't.

As my memory serves, Syphon has 512 MB of RAM. Vista recommended RAM for Home Basic is 512, all others is 1 GB.

this too shall pass

May 5 2008, 11:01 pm Syphon Post #93

Quote from Laser Dude
Quote from Syphon
The best feature that Vista adds over XP is the redesigned Windows Explorer. And it can run at full settings on older systems... My computer is almost 4 years old, and it runs Vista fine.

They redesigned it to look like a glassy-skinned version of Nautilis. I'm serious.

I know, eh? All the goodness of Nautilus, a little better searching, and you get to run Windows exclusive programs without emulation.

Quote from Praetor
Quote from Praetor

As my memory serves, Syphon has 512 MB of RAM. Vista recommended RAM for Home Basic is 512, all others is 1 GB.

Okay? And what? I can run the system (Ultimate, FYI) on 512MB of RAM. The only reason I have the paging is for playing the Sims 2. Seriously. All 16 or so expansions gets testy on the computer.

None.

May 5 2008, 11:44 pm Laser Dude Post #94

Quote from Syphon
I know, eh? All the goodness of Nautilus, a little better searching, and you get to run Windows exclusive programs without emulation.
Except you can't go back down to levels you were at before. It doesn't let you go very far back up, you can't change the links at the side, nor preview music and video, nor easily set and use bookmarks, nor use the best drag and drop support in the business, easily edit appearance of folders, set icons of individual files, or easily, and in an integrated manner use FTP or links.

Also, I disagree with you on Vista's searching. For me, running a simple search for one word takes over a minute and a half. Tracker's searches seem to be instant.

I get to run POSIX, and X, and Linux, and Windows(Wine) exclusive programs without emulation. ;) Take that Windows.

None.

May 6 2008, 12:30 am Cole Post #95

Linux is fine. However I tried out the latest version of Ubuntu. It's fine for the average tech savvy user.
Horrible for the average computer user.

None.

May 6 2008, 1:07 am Money Post #96

Quote from Cole
Linux is fine. However I tried out the latest version of Ubuntu. It's fine for the average tech savvy user.

What is the "average computer user" doing that requires Linux anyway? If you are just checking email or reading blogs does it really matter what operation system that you are using? Of course some people will say "Everyone should use Linux because it's better than Windows" (or the other way around), but what does that superiority get you if you are just checking your email? Everyone should use the operating system that suits them best and that they like the most.

None.

May 6 2008, 1:23 am Laser Dude Post #97

Quote from Cole
The problem is, there are people like you that randomly suggest that Linux requires someone to be tech-savvy without reason. Ubuntu has passed the Ubuntu-girlfriend experiment. I don't see what the problem is.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on May 6 2008, 1:29 am by Laser Dude.

None.

May 6 2008, 1:26 am Praetor Post #98

layin' in the cut

Quote from Praetor
Quote from Praetor

Okay? And what? I can run the system (Ultimate, FYI) on 512MB of RAM. The only reason I have the paging is for playing the Sims 2. Seriously. All 16 or so expansions gets testy on the computer.

They were separate thoughts.

this too shall pass

May 6 2008, 1:46 am Syphon Post #99

Quote from Laser Dude
Quote from Syphon
Except you can't go back down to levels you were at before. It doesn't let you go very far back up, you can't change the links at the side, nor preview music and video, nor easily set and use bookmarks, nor use the best drag and drop support in the business, easily edit appearance of folders, set icons of individual files, or easily, and in an integrated manner use FTP or links.

Also, I disagree with you on Vista's searching. For me, running a simple search for one word takes over a minute and a half. Tracker's searches seem to be instant.

I get to run POSIX, and X, and Linux, and Windows(Wine) exclusive programs without emulation. ;) Take that Windows.

You can do all of those things except preview music and video... Searching never takes more than 30 seconds. Wine is a virtualisation layer, which is, for all intents and purposes, emulation.

None.

May 6 2008, 2:10 am Cole Post #100

Quote from Laser Dude
Quote from Cole
Simplicity and terminology. There needs to be more "Step by Step" procedures that get rid of all geek/tech savvy terminology for the average user for everything. Wubi for installing Ubuntu in Windows is a great example of this and gets rid of a lot of terminology for the average user. It's as simple as "Install". To remove, just go to add/remove applications and remove it.

Want to set up a wireless network? there should be a nice step by step procedure that takes all the geek terminology out.

While Ubuntu does represent a great leap forward in drivers, there's still problems. There's a bug in Ubuntu that refused to let my wireless driver install. Ubuntu detected my sound card but it wouldn't play any sound and didn't give me any other options to update my driver or give me any insight on what was wrong. There should be a thing I can click on that will diagnose why I can't hear any sound.

[quote]What is the "average computer user" doing that requires Linux anyway? If you are just checking email or reading blogs does it really matter what operation system that you are using? Of course some people will say "Everyone should use Linux because it's better than Windows" (or the other way around), but what does that superiority get you if you are just checking your email? Everyone should use the operating system that suits them best and that they like the most.
Of course things are open to opinion. However an important goal that some Linux Distributions are trying to achieve (such as Ubuntu) is to meet the needs of the average user. Things are getting closer, but one thing that Windows did great to achieve popularity was by making things simpler for the average user.
One of the reasons Mac is now gaining more and more popularity is because Apple has been making things simple and easy to use for the average user.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on May 6 2008, 2:20 am by Cole.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 3 4 5 6 78 >
  Back to forum