PC vs Mac vs Linux
Apr 29 2008, 8:37 pm
By: Intranetusa
Pages: < 1 « 5 6 7 8 >

May 21 2008, 1:39 am CooL Post #121

I use Microsoft Windows. It's great system :D

None.

May 21 2008, 1:17 pm mikelat Post #122

You probably haven't used anything else.

None.

May 25 2008, 4:51 pm g1nce Post #123

I use Windows XP and Ubuntu.
I recommend Ubuntu to everyone here, because it's really good. AND FREE! If you want to install it, use VirtualBox.

Also Linux (all those versions) is good for programmers, because Linux is open source operating system and you can modify it anyway you like it.

I use Windows for games and for some progs, but I prefer Linux.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on May 25 2008, 5:01 pm by g1nce.

None.

May 29 2008, 4:37 am MasterJohnny Post #124

Youtube videos related to this topic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id_kGL3M5Cg&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4iyksLeo7w&feature=related

I am a Mathematician

Jun 2 2008, 1:40 am Twitch Post #125

Those are just lame jokes....
Here are some good related videos.
Linux
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZxfSwzhSn1c&fmt=18
Mac
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7ZwCBVZlLro&fmt=18
Windows
http://youtube.com/watch?v=u1_7JJUEc9c&fmt=18

This shows what the oses effects and some of the good sides.They show no bad sides.

None.

Jun 2 2008, 1:44 am Centreri Post #126

Relatively ancient and inactive

Which doesn't mean he's not right.

None.

Jun 2 2008, 1:49 am dumbducky Post #127

Quote from name:Yoshi
I have, and I agree with him.

tits

Jun 2 2008, 2:25 am MasterJohnny Post #128

Quote from Twitch
Those are just lame jokes....
Here are some good related videos.
Linux
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZxfSwzhSn1c&fmt=18
Mac
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7ZwCBVZlLro&fmt=18
Windows
http://youtube.com/watch?v=u1_7JJUEc9c&fmt=18

This shows what the oses effects and some of the good sides.They show no bad sides.

What does the Linux one prove...its about compiz...

I am a Mathematician

Jun 3 2008, 4:04 am Laser Dude Post #129

Quote from dumbducky
I have, and I agree with him.
Which distro, when, for how long, and what did you encounter?

MasterJohnny's videos are crap. They don't even say anything true nor amusing. At least Apple's "Mac vs. PC" commercials tickle the funny bone because they mention real issues with Windows. Twitch's videos don't say anything, they just show effects, which, obviously, Linux has lots of, Mac OSX has a bunch, and Windows has one or two. I think a good strong commercial that communicates the idea of Linux is this one. It's not funny, but I think it's good.

I find that when marketting usually the distributors for Linux distros will be honest about their distro in saying pros & cons, as well as who it would appeal to. Microsoft and Apple just seem to be trying to argue that their system is better. There are some reasons not to use Linux, but they get fewer and farther between every day, and I certainly don't think they're big enough to warrant sacrificing far more, and then paying 400$ for.

Also, there's versions. People complain about Windows Vista's versions, which are just cheaper things with some of the components disabled. People seem to associate, by this logic, that lots of versions of Linux is bad. What they usually forget is that when you're picking a version of Linux, it has to do with your personality, not your wallet. It's a fact of life that some people will like to be early adopters, some like a tried-and-true system. Some want to sit down and have it ready to use, and some want to assemble every last nut and bolt of their system, some want to run it on a supercomputer, some want to run it off a floppy disk (there is a distro that's built to run off a floppy). Nobody wants to have components restricted from them because they don't have a big enough wallet.

Quote from MasterJohnny
What does the Linux one prove...its about compiz...
It proves just as much as the Mac and Windows ones do.

Oh yeah, for all you Windows fans, Microsoft is no longer selling XP. And they're releasing Windows 7, which is subscription based. I'm serious. In Vista they incorporate the "feature" for Microsoft to activate a trojan at any point and terminate your system, and in Windows 7, it will be actively used to suck people's money from them.

None.

Jun 3 2008, 10:19 am MasterJohnny Post #130

Quote from Laser Dude
Twitch's videos don't say anything, they just show effects, which, obviously, Linux has lots of, Mac OSX has a bunch, and Windows has one or two. I think a good strong commercial that communicates the idea of Linux is this one. It's not funny, but I think it's good.

Linux ALOT OF EFFECTS!?!?! WHAT!? that was all compiz! are we like adding programs that certain os supports now? then i fight your compiz with cubedesktop
that youtube video of linux scared the crap out of me..it was like linux is A.I. and learning from us...

I am a Mathematician

Jun 3 2008, 5:29 pm dumbducky Post #131

I used Xubuntu 7.10 (originally 7.04) for a few months on an old Dell that ran rather slow with XP. Xubuntu sped it up a little, but not much. It was basically brought to it's knees whenever there were multiple applications open. It was a fine OS, but I'd rather take Vista than Ubuntu. I've been looking to try Fedora 9 with the KDE environment, but I can't find that DVD-RW.
Quote from Laser Dude
Oh yeah, for all you Windows fans, Microsoft is no longer selling XP. And they're releasing Windows 7, which is subscription based. I'm serious. In Vista they incorporate the "feature" for Microsoft to activate a trojan at any point and terminate your system, and in Windows 7, it will be actively used to suck people's money from them.
Microsoft has yet to confirm how they'll sell WIndows 7. It's all speculation. And what are you talking about with that trojan crap?

tits

Jun 3 2008, 8:33 pm Cole Post #132

And Linus is going to make the next version of Linux closed source, and plans to charge a licensing fee to anyone who wants to use it. See I can make up bullshit to.
Microsoft hasn't decided how they will be selling Windows 7. All we know is that it will be the most modular version of Windows yet. Also Vista doesn't have the "termination" feature anymore than XP does.

None.

Jun 3 2008, 9:40 pm Doodle77 Post #133

Quote from Intranetusa
Which operating system do you use?
Microsoft Windows, Mac OS, or Linux?
FreeBSD, obviously.

None.

Jun 4 2008, 2:44 am Twitch Post #134

Quote from Doodle77
Quote from Intranetusa
Which operating system do you use?
Microsoft Windows, Mac OS, or Linux?
FreeBSD, obviously.
Psshhh OpenSolaris FTW :P.

None.

Jun 5 2008, 3:54 am Laser Dude Post #135

Quote from MasterJohnny
Linux ALOT OF EFFECTS!?!?! WHAT!? that was all compiz! are we like adding programs that certain os supports now? then i fight your compiz with cubedesktop
that youtube video of linux scared the crap out of me..it was like linux is A.I. and learning from us...
Linux is a kernel. When people say "Linux" they usually mean "GNU/Linux", and compiz is a part of GNU/Linux. If you took the word "Linux" literally, then you'd basically have a brick of high tech, yet unusable, software. Alternately, when people say Mac OSX or Windows, you usually refer to the software that comes with the operating system as well.

Quote from dumbducky
I used Xubuntu 7.10 (originally 7.04) for a few months on an old Dell that ran rather slow with XP. Xubuntu sped it up a little, but not much. It was basically brought to it's knees whenever there were multiple applications open. It was a fine OS, but I'd rather take Vista than Ubuntu. I've been looking to try Fedora 9 with the KDE environment, but I can't find that DVD-RW.
Your results with multiple applications open would really depend on the amount of memory you have. Also, if you were testing Opera, which I expect you were, the Windows version is far more optimized. I find that Opera uses almost 150MB while idle. It's unfortunate that Firefox, which is some of the best-known free software out there, can't stand up to its proprietary opponent.

Quote from dumbducky
Microsoft has yet to confirm how they'll sell WIndows 7. It's all speculation.
I rechecked my sources, and I guess you're mostly right, although Microsoft has hinted at it, and they have been testing the subscription model in South Africa.

Quote from dumbducky
And what are you talking about with that trojan crap?
Microsoft calls it their "Software Protection Platform". It effectively prevents the user from using his computer if Microsoft feels like it. Although their explanation probably goes something like "it's to prevent users from using non genuine software". It turns out they turned it off in SP1, but with things like this hidden in their code, it's clear they've probably done lots of things like it, and will probably even recycle the code for a subscription-based system. The biggest reason it was critisized was for hundreds of cases of "false positives", where Microsoft tried to charge people who actually had legit systems.

Their validation is also noted as having false negatives, because it registers valid when run under Wine. :P

Quote from Cole
And Linus is going to make the next version of Linux closed source, and plans to charge a licensing fee to anyone who wants to use it.
That would not only be unlikely, but illegal as per the terms of the GNU GPL. Microsoft charging subscription fees fits their business style perfectly.

None.

Jun 5 2008, 5:44 am MasterJohnny Post #136

Quote from Laser Dude
Quote from MasterJohnny
Linux is a kernel. When people say "Linux" they usually mean "GNU/Linux", and compiz is a part of GNU/Linux. If you took the word "Linux" literally, then you'd basically have a brick of high tech, yet unusable, software. Alternately, when people say Mac OSX or Windows, you usually refer to the software that comes with the operating system as well.
yea..im pretty sure compiz is not part of linux because it does not come with all linux distributions..

I am a Mathematician

Jun 5 2008, 12:45 pm Doodle77 Post #137

Quote from MasterJohnny
yea..im pretty sure compiz is not part of linux because it does not come with all linux distributions..
The part of Linux that is actually Linux (the kernel) does not have an interface or anything (not even a terminal one) and can't do anything. Linux is all about choice, you can pick to run whatever applications you feel like.

None.

Jun 5 2008, 1:18 pm dumbducky Post #138

Quote from Laser Dude
Quote from dumbducky
Your results with multiple applications open would really depend on the amount of memory you have. Also, if you were testing Opera, which I expect you were, the Windows version is far more optimized. I find that Opera uses almost 150MB while idle. It's unfortunate that Firefox, which is some of the best-known free software out there, can't stand up to its proprietary opponent.

Quote from dumbducky
Microsoft calls it their "Software Protection Platform". It effectively prevents the user from using his computer if Microsoft feels like it. Although their explanation probably goes something like "it's to prevent users from using non genuine software". It turns out they turned it off in SP1, but with things like this hidden in their code, it's clear they've probably done lots of things like it, and will probably even recycle the code for a subscription-based system. The biggest reason it was critisized was for hundreds of cases of "false positives", where Microsoft tried to charge people who actually had legit systems.

Their validation is also noted as having false negatives, because it registers valid when run under Wine. :P
I was actually using Fx2 with 128MB of RAM and a P3 at 500Mhz. I've recently acquired a slightly a slightly less crappy 256MB Celeron @ 1.2Ghz. I'm gonna try to put Fedora 9 with KDE environment if I can get my hands on a blank DVD.

I've run into a WGA failure with release Vista, That's a bitch, but with Vista SP1 it actually downgrades to just a little annoying.

tits

Jun 5 2008, 1:55 pm Cole Post #139

That would not only be unlikely, but illegal as per the terms of the GNU GPL. Microsoft charging subscription fees fits their business style perfectly.
It could be perfectly legal. He could break the GNU GPL, however it doesn't he mean he has to.

The only subscription fee's i've seen Microsoft ever hand out are Live and a MSDN Subscriptions. I don't see how it fits there business style.

None.

Jun 5 2008, 6:25 pm Twitch Post #140

Quote from dumbducky
Quote from Laser Dude
Quote from dumbducky

Quote from dumbducky

I was actually using Fx2 with 128MB of RAM and a P3 at 500Mhz. I've recently acquired a slightly a slightly less crappy 256MB Celeron @ 1.2Ghz. I'm gonna try to put Fedora 9 with KDE environment if I can get my hands on a blank DVD.

I've run into a WGA failure with release Vista, That's a bitch, but with Vista SP1 it actually downgrades to just a little annoying.
I can already tell you fedora 9 will not work well with that.You need to use smaller distros like-
Puppy Linux,DSL,Debain Stable,and/or zenwalk.

Edit: nevermind I was thinking of the 64 bit version...

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 5 2008, 6:39 pm by Twitch.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 5 6 7 8 >
  Back to forum