Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: SCMD2 "Something very bad has happened"
SCMD2 "Something very bad has happened"
Apr 26 2008, 8:42 am
By: fm47
Pages: < 1 2 3 >

Apr 30 2008, 5:05 am fm47 Post #21

I see. Either way, replies from this thread have been very helpful. Thank you all very much.

None.

Apr 30 2008, 11:05 pm Jozrael Post #22

fm47, I find that a great way of doing it too. All my locations have the first name related to function and then split from their. A la:

SpawnGatePurple
SpawnGateTeal
SpawnClaveBlue
SpawnClaveYellow

MasserRed
MasstoObsRed
ObsRed

Stuff like that :D.

Also, I like to do Tables of Contents with my triggers with section headings.

Like:

Player 1,2,3 / TABLE OF CONTENTS
INITIAL SETUP
HEAL TRIGGERS
SPAWN LOOPS
END OF TIMER ACTIONS
---------
INITIAL SETUP
---------
<triggers in initial setup, without comments>

I can categorize all my triggers with a grand total of like 40 strings, even with a thousand trigs.

None.

Apr 30 2008, 11:08 pm HavoK Post #23

Do you have the updated ScmDraft 2.0 (8.0.0)?

None.

May 1 2008, 5:18 am fm47 Post #24

Yeah, my locations are all named in groups.
i.e. For locations that constantly follow player 1-4's heroes.
pl1
pl2
pl3
pl4
for my "zone" locations, locations that indicate what area my characters are in. For towns, i use
lc_townname
for hostile areas i call them
ltc_area
Similar things are done with trigs. But I have not yet catagorized them all with just a few strings. That is something I am interested in looking into. First, I have to make all player 1-4 triggers in the correct order. Thanks for that suggestion. Perhaps I can progress without feeling I'm stepping on eggshells anymore.

Yes, I'm using the 2.0(8.0.0) beta

None.

May 2 2008, 6:34 am Jozrael Post #25

The downside to my strategy is that the triggers arent compressed into single line entities, i.e. slightly harder to scroll around.

The upsides are obvious. xD

Btw, I got the organization from Labyrinthos, but its just a standard table of contents with section headers.

None.

May 2 2008, 10:10 pm lolzzzzzzzz Post #26

Is there a way to fix this problem? I went over the string limit of 1024 but... I just don't want to delete every singly comment so that it will work again. I mean I still have to create new switches and locations which will create more strings...

Another problem is that I can't open my map in any other editor... so frustrating.

Oh btw, if I delete a string directly from String Editor, say a comment string (Hero Line), will it bug my map?

None.

May 2 2008, 10:21 pm Falkoner Post #27

Just use a text editor to go through your triggers to delete the comments, you can use the Find function to find them all more quickly.

None.

May 2 2008, 10:30 pm rockz Post #28

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Quote from lolzzzzzzzz
I just don't want to delete every singly comment so that it will work again
too bad, you're going to have to. As much as we want to have infinite strings, starcraft limits us severely, technically to a size limit, but usually to just 1024.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

May 2 2008, 10:33 pm lolzzzzzzzz Post #29

Gah, so I'm sure to make the map work again if I put the strings under the limit? It's just 1033 down to 1023 then?

Hmm, text editor? Like MW? Errr, I'm pretty much clueless here o.O

Oh, another thing. This occured to me earlier, when my string count was around 300-400... is this bug/problem related to anything? Like a SC map limit or editor error? I just want to know so I can avoid putting things in my map that will later crash the editor or the map in game.

None.

May 3 2008, 12:05 am Demented Shaman Post #30

Were you solely using SCMD2 or did you use SF on the map as well?

None.

May 3 2008, 2:17 am lolzzzzzzzz Post #31

The first few weeks I solely used SCMDraft and then this problem occured to me the first time. What I did to solve the problem was open up the file in X-tra Editor and save the game as a new file and copy-paste it over the original one that got bugged. It worked that time so I thought it would work again the second time it happened to me but it didn't and that's why I came here.

The first time the problem occured I had around 300-400 strings for sure. The second time it happened I had over 1024 strings.

I used the X-tra Editor only after the first problem occured and only to place buildings over non-placeable terrain such as water, temple, etc, which the SCMDraft doesn't allow me to, or so I think.

Also, is it common for wav files to really increase the save time by a lot on SCMDraft? I put a wav file on X-tra Editor and save and it's the standard 1-2 seconds save time but when I do it on SCMDraft, it's like 1 minute to 5 minutes sometimes. I had to really reduce the quality of my wav files to decrease the save time on SCMDraft but on X-tra Editor it was much faster.

None.

May 3 2008, 5:23 am fm47 Post #32

I don't know who devil is asking, but I once saved a couple times on SF then switched back and forth between xtra edit and scmd2, later xtra edit was no longer able to open the map so I stayed only on scmd2.

The error I originally encountered, the "Something very bad has happened" error following by a shutdown of SCMD2, happened again today. It sometimes happens immediately after I edit strings, sometimes it happens after I edit strings, then do things like move a location or select a unit... sometimes I've already saved before it realizes "something very bad has happened" and the map can no longer be opened by SCMD2 again... every attempt after so is greeted with the very bad message and SCMD2 shuts down. I got irritated at this because I saved the game, saved it on my backup after thinking it was safe, but it wasn't. both of my maps became unopenable (is that a word?) so I kind of panicked. I quickly went and downloaded SF and thankfully it opened the game up. I deleted the string I last edited and saved as a separate name, opened the map up in SCMD2 and it worked as it did before!

Hopefully that may help someone someday.

EDIT: WAIT O_O
If I make sure all my comments and locations are of different names, by name I mean exact quotes of strings, it should be OK?
If so, it would be OK if i have 2 comments, one as "This is this" while the other is "This is_this"?

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on May 3 2008, 6:23 am by fm47.

None.

May 3 2008, 2:12 pm rockz Post #33

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

When you put in a wav, it's generally a huge map, so it has to copy all that stuff when saving. If you have a slow computer, it takes a while to write a megabyte through a program. To put things on unplaceable terrain, just click the "place buildings anywhere" on the options blind.

@fm47
Using 2 editors can severely bug your map, especially starforge. To fix your problem you need to get rid of most of the strings. Have you used uberation yet?

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

May 4 2008, 6:39 am lolzzzzzzzz Post #34

Ohhh, never checked that tab lol thx man, would save so much time if I knew that before -_-

None.

May 4 2008, 7:27 am fm47 Post #35

I spent all last night renaming all the comments through text editor, everything seems much more stable. A very repetitive part I used uberation on, but instead of actually deleting the comment, it just makes it blank :(

None.

May 4 2008, 9:42 am NudeRaider Post #36

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Making the comment blank has the same effect on strings like removing the comment action.

May 4 2008, 10:19 am fm47 Post #37

oh! Guess I'll go get rid of some of 'em comments ^^

None.

May 5 2008, 5:04 am rockz Post #38

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Once you get rid of them, you can also search for all the comment triggers (now all the same) and just delete them all in trigedit/notepad. It's possible they still reference a string, and you'll have problems if you try to start commenting again (which I don't recommend).

May 5 2008, 7:03 am fm47 Post #39

Actually, just as an update, I haven't really had any problems ever since I renamed all the comments because some of them from separate players had same comment names. I also made sure none of the names were the same as location names. The only time the "terrible" message came up again is when I spammed a lot of locations.

Now, there's another problem, I don't know if it's doing this because I still have well over the limit of strings. I have an SCV walk to a location at the beginning of the game. There are two locations to choose from, one indicating skip intro and the other starting intro. The problem is at the start intro. Once the SCV gets to the location, everything still happens accordingly except for center location, center view, and display text. Everything on this trigger worked just fine until I edited some doodad and terrain. This has happened before, although not because of doodad and terrain editing, so I deleted the trigger and simply made another exactly the same and it worked fine. Now it's happening again and to the same trigger.

The basics of the trig is:
Player: Force 1 (human players)
C: Force 1 brings exactly 1 Terran SCV to 'plt1'.
C: Player 8 (CP) has suffered exactly 1 death of "Terran Flag Beacon".
A: Remove 1 Terran SCV for Force 1 at 'plt1'.
A: Centerview for current player at 'pl1'
A: Display text
A: Wait x seconds
A: (centerview, display text, wait seconds a couple more times)
Center location labled 'pl1' on "Zerg Drone" owned by 'Player 7'(cp) at 'Zone - Raas'
center locations pl2, pl3, pl4 on different units at 'Zone - Raas'
Set death of 'Terran Flag Beacon' to 2 for Player 8 (activates next trigger)

Now, everything happens except the display text, centerview, and center locations. As soon as the trigger is suppose to pass (get to the set terran flag beacon dc) the next trigger fires as it is suppose to. What's going on?

None.

May 5 2008, 10:25 am NudeRaider Post #40

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

This seems to be a wait block, since everything after the wait fails.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 >
  Back to forum