Staredit Network > Forums > Technology & Computers > Topic: New mouse with thumb wheel
New mouse with thumb wheel
Mar 3 2024, 7:31 pm
By: NudeRaider  

Mar 3 2024, 7:31 pm NudeRaider Post #1

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

I'm looking for a mouse similar to the Logitech MX Master 3S. I've had this mouse for 5 months and now one of the buttons doesn't work properly anymore. Very disappointing for a mouse in this price range but apparently not uncommon for this model. (Or even Logitech mice in general?) So it seems they're cheaping out on their switches.

I was very happy with it so this is extra annoying. I'm not sure if I just had bad luck and should buy the same mouse again, or if I should try my luck with another brand/model. Any advice or anecdote regarding this is appreciated.

Please do recommend alternatives. I only consider the thumb wheel and 5 buttons a must-have but extra points if it can satisfy as many of the points below as possible: (ascending order of importance)
  • good durability (at least 2+ years before something breaks)
  • wired OR with USB charging (no battery swap)
  • "Magspeed scrolling" (basically fast mouse wheel movement is MUCH faster and "sticks" means it keeps scrolling for a while, slow mouse wheel turning works normally)
  • laser diode for tracking on any surface
  • high clicking force (on cheaper mouse I often accidentally right-click when resting my hand on the mouse and don't pay attention)
  • even more than 5 buttons
  • high DPI
  • quiet clicks

P.S. Price is always a factor, but definitely not my main concern, so recommend anything that doesn't require ridiculous budget.

Mar 7 2024, 1:14 am Ultraviolet Post #2

I can't speak to that particular mouse, but I have been using a Logitech MX Ergo Plus for the last two years for all of my computer needs both at home and at work, and it's still holding up great. Might be a fluke that your previous one crapped out. I made sure to buy mine from Best Buy with an extended service warranty just in case something dumb broke, maybe you could do something similar with whatever big box electronics store you have over there? I'd also add, it took me a while to get used to using the trackball (hadn't used one since I was a kid before this mouse), but I've adapted pretty well to it, and I like the ergonomic hand positioning. It helps a lot considering how much I'm using a computer between work and personal life combined. I also have their keyboard from the same series and my wrists feel a lot better than they did before. Dunno if that's a track you'd consider, but I'd recommend it. My only complaint with the mouse is the scroll wheel, it doesn't do the magpspeed scrolling that you described.

Mar 8 2024, 12:56 pm NudeRaider Post #3

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Thanks for your input. Some others also seemed to have more luck with Logitech mice, so I'll probably just get the same one again because I loved it until it broke. And yeah, I'm getting my money back - in Germany they have to give warranty for 2 years by law.

Trackball seems interesting, but I'm using my thumb for the 2nd wheel and additional buttons already.

Options
  Back to forum