AI with no base
Aug 27 2015, 5:43 am
By: Chamomile  

Aug 27 2015, 5:43 am Chamomile Post #1

I have a survival-style scenario, the type where you have to fend off waves of enemy attacks without retaliating. The attacks in fact come from offscreen - the enemy has no base. Is there any AI setting that will cause them to throw their spawned troops at the nearest enemy? I tried the strategic suicide mission AI setting but it doesn't seem to have done anything. AI troops spawn and do nothing. Map is attached (and not balanced - if the enemy attacks properly as it is mission critical buildings are destroyed way before the player can get a base up and running, but that's another issue).

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 27 2015, 5:04 pm by Chamomile.

None.

Aug 27 2015, 9:42 am Excalibur Post #2

The sword and the faith

Map is not attached.

Do you spawn the units via triggers or are you looking for the AI to build them out of production structures?

Is there a reason an Order Patrol To Location wouldn't work?

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Aug 27 2015, 5:09 pm Chamomile Post #3

Hm. The map really doesn't want to attach for some reason. Keeps saying "move failed."

The units are spawning from triggers. Using Order triggers can work, but I've had trouble getting those triggers to effectively randomize targets in the past. Using set switch random and a set of triggers tied to the randomized switch to choose targets seems like it should work in theory, but for whatever reason in practice it led to one set of targets being chosen over the other 90% of the time. If there's not a way to get the AI working I'll use patrol Orders in a pattern to spread the attacks around, but that'll be pretty predictable and I'd prefer it were less.

None.

Aug 27 2015, 5:48 pm NudeRaider Post #4

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Make sure the computer is not defeated, has a start location, and the ai is not spammed.
Also make sure the player setting is not neutral.

Then I think there's a bug that can break a computer player, but I could be wrong. Still, if nothing else helps try using another player or save the map in another editor.

Aug 27 2015, 8:00 pm Moose Post #5

We live in a society.

For that particular AI script, you would have to run the AI script again each time you make units that you want to use it. It won't affect units created after the script is run.

Options
  Back to forum