Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Showcase > Topic: D e L i R u S : A Horror Map!
D e L i R u S : A Horror Map!
Aug 30 2014, 3:30 am
By: Zoan  

Aug 30 2014, 3:30 am Zoan Post #1

Math + Physics + StarCraft = Zoan

D e L i R u S

Are you prepared for the scariest SC experience of all time?

General:

Game Type: Horror, though it could also be considered a puzzle map
Number of Players: 4
Game Length: Approx. 1.5 Hours
Tile-Set: Ice World, 192x192

Description:

You awake in a dark cell. Find out where you are and why you are there as you progress through 6 different areas and solve numerous puzzles.

Features:
  • Vision manipulation via Hyper Fog of War. Click here for more info.
  • 6 Different areas, each with their own themes, puzzles, background music, and enemies.
  • 7 Different types of enemies, each with their own individual triggers.
  • A Dropship inventory system, with each item having its own description.
  • 3 Different difficulty settings.
  • A bonus arcade, if you can find it :D
  • 3 Different endings, one of which is available only on Hard Mode.
  • No weapons at all. Your only hope is to run.

Screenshots:

Links for images in case they aren't appearing:
Screenshot 1
Screenshot 2
Screenshot 3

Download it Here: D e L i R u S

Post has been edited 8 time(s), last time on Sep 28 2014, 8:08 pm by Zoan.

\:rip\:ooooo\:wob\:ooooo \:angel\: ooooo\:wob\:ooooo\:rip\:

Aug 30 2014, 4:14 am Jack Post #2

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

What's Hyper Fog of War?

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Aug 30 2014, 4:25 am BloodyZombie117 Post #3

I have no idea what to put here... So I guess I'll just put this here.

Hyper fog of war is when your fog is constantly updated... Starcraft usually lets your vision stay for a bit.

Also, play the game, it's amazing.

Aug 30 2014, 4:25 am Jack Post #4

Quote from BloodyZombie117
Hyper fog of war is when your fog is constantly updated... Starcraft usually lets your vision stay for a bit.

How do you go about doing that, with regards to triggers? I didn't realize such a thing was possible.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Aug 30 2014, 4:30 am BloodyZombie117 Post #5

I have no idea what to put here... So I guess I'll just put this here.

Quote from Jack

How do you go about doing that, with regards to triggers? I didn't realize such a thing was possible.
Info
Optical flare resets the fog of war everytime it is cast.
(Just realized I made a map with Hyper Fog of War without intentionally doing it)

Aug 30 2014, 4:33 am Jack Post #6

Quote from Jack

Info
Optical flare resets the fog of war everytime it is cast.
(Just realized I made a map with Hyper Fog of War without intentionally doing it)
Thanks! Nice to learn new mapping stuff even today. I played the map a little but I have to go, seemed potentially interesting but I only played for five minutes or so. Nearly died to kerri too :(

Red classic.

Aug 30 2014, 5:34 am Oh_Man Post #7

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

I've had problems with that hyper fog thing in some of my maps. Basically vision ticks every 100 frames or something, but everytime a medic casts blind it resets that vision tick. So if you spam blind enough you can get constant update... but wouldn't that cause hardcore flickering?

Aug 30 2014, 5:37 am Zoan Post #8

I edited the showcase with a link to this http://www.staredit.net/sc1db/file/2977/ if you want to know more about the hyper fog of war.

Aug 30 2014, 6:19 am payne Post #9

:payne:

If it's puzzly enough, feel free to "advertise" it out there: http://www.staredit.net/topic/5222/

Nov 2 2014, 8:26 pm Stranger Post #10

Seems nice =)

Is this playable enough with just 1 player ?

None.

Nov 2 2014, 8:54 pm Zoan Post #11

Yeah, I actually think it's a little better single player. Some of the scares only run once for whoever gets to them first, so if your doing it single player you get everything :D

It might be a little more challenging/take a little longer for the parts where you have to look for keys and stuff, but I don't think it's too bad at all.

Nov 3 2014, 7:00 pm Stranger Post #12

Alright.

Ok, I just started SC and tested out your map, it's great :D

Died in 17 minutes though (after I pushed the acid container down to the first floor), but it was fun. I will retry later.

Oh, and holy crap, I did get scared a couple of times, lol :lol:

Great job so far (I love the elevator =) )

Of course, I picked "hard", it's more like survival :)

None.

Nov 4 2014, 1:35 am Zoan Post #13

Haha, I'd recommend medium the first time through. Hard is really challenging, especially if you haven't beaten the game before :D

Dec 8 2014, 6:22 am Zerghunter666 Post #14

Umm how do you enter the doors at the beginning because it says move the shuttle and nothing happens. Plz help! :(

None.

Dec 8 2014, 4:02 pm Zoan Post #15

Stand by the door (the black-ish square tile on the wall) and order the shuttle to move, like just normally. You should be able to enter the door that way.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 8 2014, 4:12 pm by Zoan.

Jun 9 2015, 6:33 am Swampfox Post #16

Really glad to see this finished after testing all that time ago.

Went and did a normal difficulty playthrough, and boy was that great. I did the two endings and found the arcade (fantastic minigame btw). Really curious about that hard ending, but not too sure I'll have the patience to get through on that difficulty.

I think my only criticism is that lurker enemy. To be honest... it was pretty fucking annoying! :) The center views made it very hard to go the way you wanted and I kept getting stuck on the lurker. Perhaps this is how you intended this encounter, as it was very difficult, just a little too much for me I guess.

I spotted a few minor misspellings as well, can't for the life of me remember in which dialogues.

Overall, kudos to ya. Very much enjoyed it!

None.

Jun 19 2015, 1:54 am Zoan Post #17

Hey, thanks a bunch for playing (and testing, btw)! Glad you enjoyed it!

Yeah, the lurker wasn't supposed to be oh so difficult, but it was hard to strike a balance between keeping the tension up for all difficulty levels (since on easy you get armor upgrades for free) and not having it be so hard people rage quit. I think how it ended up was pretty fair after you figured which doors to run to to escape. It's weird, because I wasn't really satisfied with the lurker myself (scare-wise), but a lot of people said it was one of the scariest enemies in the game :S so I left it as is.

As for the typos, yea there are a couple.. two in the first note, I think, and probably more elsewhere. But as of right now I'm too lazy to do a version 0.17 just to correct them :P Thanks for letting me know though.

Jun 20 2015, 8:56 am Zoan Post #18

Alright, scratch what I said in my last comment. New version up, with proper grammar and a few minor bug fixes.

Jun 20 2015, 7:02 pm Zoan Post #19

Accidentally screwed up one of the texts in the last update last night. New (and most probably final) version is up now

Options
  Back to forum