Staredit Network > Forums > Games > Topic: The Stanley Parable
The Stanley Parable
Oct 19 2013, 12:17 am
By: Zycorax  

Oct 19 2013, 12:17 am Zycorax Post #1

Grand Moderator of the Games Forum

So I randomly spotted this game on the front page of the Steam store. I skimmed through the description while waiting for a game of ARAM to start on LoL and clicked the 'download demo' button during the loading. A couple of hours later I remembered this and proceeded to launch the demo.

25 minutes later I had played through the demo. I wasn't sure what I had just played, but I wanted more, so I bought the full version. I have now played it for just over an hour. It is the most surreal game I've ever played.
You're playing as an office worker named Stanley. One day when he arrives at work, he notices that he hasn't received any tasks to do and that all of his coworkers have vanished. Now it's up to you to figure out what have happened and accompanied by a brilliantly written narrator who describes nearly all your actions, usually in a humorous way, you navigate through the huge office building in search of... something.

I would strongly recommend downloading the demo and try it out. It's a short story on its own, independent from the full game. It's available on Steam.

For a spoiler-free review, click here.

Oct 19 2013, 4:08 am Oh_Man Post #2

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

I'm guessing you just played the HD remake that came out literally last night. The Stanley Parable was a Source mod that has been out for a couple of years or so. It was free, and as far as I know was basically the same as the HD remake. It was like an expose on player choice and just a introspective into how game narrative works in general.

Not sure if you realised but you should be able to go and play the game again and make different choices and get different endings. The original had like close to 10 endings I think.

I played the HD demo, but I'm not really sure I want to pay $12 for the full game when I've basically already played it before. :S

Oct 19 2013, 1:32 pm Zycorax Post #3

Grand Moderator of the Games Forum

Yeah, I know it's a remake of a mod, though I'd never heard of it before. Supposedly they've added more content in this version. Going to look for more endings today if I got the time. Only found a few last night.

Options
  Back to forum