Welcome to Mafia. The town is corrupted, and people are dying. You know what you must do. Kill, or be killed.
HOW IT WORKS
- Players get roles right before game starts.
- Roles will be assigned randomly via random.org
- Mafia know mafia. Townspeople know nothing.
- The game revolves between day and night (game time, not real time). The introduction is a general overview of what has happened thus far. The actual game begins that night. I will control the day and night cycles.
- Players can talk to each other, formulate strategies, conspire against others, and many other things.
- Dead players and people who aren't playing can post in the thread, but they cannot post clues against people who are still playing. Obviously I cannot control this, but I'm trusting you guys to be good sports.
- Players cannot post PMs, screen shots, or anything that blatantly exposes another player's role. Again, I cannot control this, especially if it is done via PM, but I hope you guys will abide by the rules.
- Most abilities are used at night, some are used during the day. To use an ability, PM me telling me what you want to do. They must be by PM; don't send me something via MSN or Skype to try to fool everyone else of your "last online" status.
- All players meet during the day and participate in a town meeting. The players accuse others or plead their innocence.
- All players must vote in order for a lynch to occur. If one player remains afk, I will set a deadline for the votes.
- Players can choose to not vote. To do this, say that you abstain. You cannot vote for a no lynch.
- All votes/abstains must be in the thread. Any votes/abstains that occur via PM will not be accounted for. To make it easy, please post your vote in this form: "I vote [name]", preferably in a large/noticeable font.
- If there is a tie, no one will be lynched.
- You can change your vote as many times as you want until the day is over.
- Players use their abilities during the night (if applicable). Powers include stalking, subduing, and even killing.
Actions will be accounted for in the following order:
- Mafia abilities
- Protection abilities
- Night hits (mafia)
- Night hits (townspeople)
HOW TO WIN
- If all Mafia and Cult Leader die, the town wins.
- If all townspeople and Cult Leader die, the Mafia wins.
- If all townspeople and Mafia die, the Cult wins.
- If the Mafia's votes outweigh the town's maximum votes, and the Cult leader is dead, the Mafia wins.
- If there is one townsperson and one Mafia, and the Rogue Engineer and Cult Leader are dead, the Mafia wins.
- Post a reply in this topic saying that you want to play.
- Do not play if you will be busy or have plans over the next couple of days.
- Please don't sign up if all you intend to do is ruin the game for others.
- By signing up, you agree that you have read the rules and understand how to play.
- Currently, there is no limit on how many players can play. I'll keep the goal at 15, but more are welcome to play. If we cannot get 15 players, I will lower the number in order to start the game quicker.
12. Sand Wraith
Mad Scientist - It's always a sad scene when a brilliant mind fails out of med school. The Mad Scientist was the town's most brightest medical students, but his insane ideas got him kicked out of the university. Now, he operates in back alleys, serving anyone who wouldn't dare show their face in a hospital. Although he mostly patches up gunshot wounds for gangsters and thugs, he longs to use his medical skills for something more revolutionary.
Resurrect - The Mad Scientist drags a body off the street and brings the person back to 'life'. This person becomes a hollow vessel, not being able to think for himself and serving the Mad Scientist without question. He is controlled by the Mad Scientist now, and only he can choose what the person does. The Mad Scientist can only control one person at once, and if he changes patients, the first one will die forever and cannot be brought back to life again. Additionally, this ability can only be used on townspeople. If used on a Mafia member, it will fail.
Command - The Mad Scientist sets his slave into action, telling him to use whatever ability he has available, as chosen by the Mad Scientist. Can be used once per day or night.
Doctor - The Doctor has always had a knack for helping people. Whether it was saving a man from drowning as a teenager, or performing open-heart surgery as a renowned surgeon, he has always done nothing but try to save others.
Save - Saves a person from a being killed at night. Can be used once per night.
Rogue Engineer - Being locked up messes with your head, especially when you're an award-winning chemist and basically a genius. It's quite a shame, however, that threatening to kill people via chemicals if they don't listen to you is highly frowned upon in the public eye. The Rogue Engineer has spent years in prison, and now that he's out, he wants nothing more than to continue his evil deeds.
Constrain - If the target is not visited by another player, the Rogue Engineer fits the target with a lethal remote-controlled device. This device is connected to the person's brainstem, and has a vial of chemicals just waiting to be shot straight into it. The target will die if the Rogue Engineer dies. Can be used one per night.
Activate - Triggers the device of any previously constrained player, killing them. Can be used at any time.
Transmit - Submits a message to be sent anonymously to any previously constrained player. Can be used once each day and night for each target. All previously constrained players gain this ability as well, and their messages are sent without anonymity to the Rogue Engineer.
Detective - With all the corruption in this town, it's no surprise there weren't many applications for the open detective position. Almost nobody in the force is brave enough to fight all that crime, especially with half the department being directly involved in it. Luckily, there's one man who's brave enough to stand up to all of it and isn't afraid to get his hands dirty in the name of justice.
Investigate - The Detective chooses a person to follow for the night. The Detective will see who they visit and what roles visit them. Additionally, the Detective may find a note left behind by the Mafia. The message is encoded in a way that only Mafia members understand, and must be deciphered by the Analyst to be of any use to the town. Each note is labeled with an ID, generally printed as a 7-character mixture of letters and numbers.
Analyst - An ex-member of the CIA, the Analyst is a master of interpretation. He can take any message and reveal its meaning and roots with ease. With the Mafia being as tricky as they are, the town's chance of success may rest on the Analyst's ability to uncover clues left by them.
Decipher - The Analyst looks at a message left by the Mafia and uncovers its meaning. The player must specify which message they want to decipher by including the ID in their PM. Can be used once per night.
Mayor - The recent death of the Mayor has left the town in quite a frenzy, but politics never seem to shake their deceitful habits. The powerful people of the town view this as an opportunity to put themselves in a position of power and implement everything they want, regardless of how beneficial, or damaging, it is to the town. The election is scheduled to occur in a few days, and there's long list of possible candidates.
Political Influence (Passive) - The Mayor's high political status allows him to cast one vote plus 10% of the total votes.
Protection (Passive) - The Mayor has bodyguards that protect him 24/7. Unless they are dead or constrained, the Mayor cannot be targetted at night. He can only be killed through a day lynch.
Executive Decision - The Mayor can choose, at any time during the day, to change the lynch to either a double lynch or a triple lynch. He can change it to a double lynch twice, or once for a triple lynch.
Execute - The Mayor picks one person to be publicly executed on the first day. Can only be used on the first day.
Bodyguard - The Bodyguards have one simple job: protect the Mayor, no matter what. They are the only thing between the Mayor and the many people that are out to get him. After the Mayor is elected, he will anonymously pick his Bodyguards. They Bodyguards will retain their original abilities, and they will not know who the other Bodyguards are.
Devoted (Passive) - The Bodyguard is loyal to the Mayor like no other. Under his free will, he will never let anyone get near the Mayor at night.
Bulletproof - You can never have enough protection. The Bulletproof is the epitome of a paranoiac, always suiting up with protective gear no matter where he goes. However, this town is on a steady decline, and with the crime rates skyrocketing through the roof, who knows? A little extra protection may be necessary. The Bulletproof takes two hits to be killed.
Dodge - The Bulletproof escapes any sort of confrontation, keeping himself out of harm's way. This ability negates any negative actions used on the Bulletproof that night. Can be used once per game.
Bell Ringer - Looking for an easy job? Be a Bell Ringer. They get paid a lot to do very little. Working in City Hall, they get to act like they know the Mayor, but in reality, all they do is keep track of the town votes. The Bell Ringer, however, gets bored of his job easily, and on occassion, decides to have a little fun.
Ring Bell - The Bell Ringer rings the City Hall bell, letting everyone know that the voting has ended. If the bell is rung, voting will end and the votes will tallied. A person must be voted for at least three times in order to be lynched after the bell has rung. If nobody is voted for more than twice, there is no lynch that day. Can be used anytime during the day before the voting deadline and twice per game.
Hitman - What's a town without a little corruption? The Mafia runs deep in this city, and the Hitmen are the men who see to it that any enemies get put down quickly. They kill, and that's all they do. It's all they know how to do. With them alive, no night is ever safe.
Hit - The Hitman visits a player at night. If the target is not being visited by anyone else, the Hitman will kill him. Can be used once per night.
Saboteur - The Saboteur is as dastardly a person you'll find in the town. He loves forging notes, ruining relationships, and completely messing with peoples' minds.
Sabotage - The Saboteur follows a person to the voting booth and changes that person's vote. Can be used each night, and will be activated the following day.
Forge Note - The Saboteur forges a note and slips it into a target's mailbox. The note can say anything the Saboteur wants it to say, up to a character limit of 25. Can be used each night, given that Sabotage has not been used that same night.
Beguiler - The Beguiler is the master of deceit. He does everything, yet does nothing. He's the heart and soul of the Mafia, yet he is also an invisible shadow. He is, without a doubt, the most diabolical man in the entire town. He must be stopped, no matter the cost.
Cult Leader - The Cult Leader is a freak, a radical man of religion obsessed with maintaining of the days of old and the secret societies that spread fear into the hearts of everyone. Right now, he is one man, but he longs for companions. He will put his plan into action soon enough, and when he does, friendships will be broken. Alliances will be shattered. Nobody will be safe.
Recruit - The Cultist anonymously invites a player to join his Cult. The player will not know who sent the invitation, and they can choose to accept or decline with no consequence. If the Cult Leader tries to invite a Mafia member, the invitation will automatically be declined. Can be used once per night.
Cultist - The Cultist is a pawn of the Cult Leader. After accepting his invitation to the Cult, he serves the Cult Leader to destroy the town. Any abilities he had prior to joining the Cult will stay with him. If the Cult Leader dies, all Cultists revert back to their original roles.
No special abilities; only what they started with.
Creidts: Dimma Davidoff at the Psychological Department of Moscow State University, for creating the game in the spring of 1986.
ToA, for bringing Mafia to SEN and Maplantis.
Mini Moose 2707, for hosting a lot of Mafia games at SEN and being a major contributor to the development of the Mafia game tradition here and at Maplantis.
DTBK, for the base of DevliN's template, which was the base of Azrael's template, which was the base of this template.
All prior hosts of Mafia games at SEN and Maplantis, especially Roy for his "mods."
www.random.org for role randomization.