Staredit Network > Forums > Portal News > Topic: Starcraft 2 - Season 7 has begun
Starcraft 2 - Season 7 has begun
Apr 10 2012, 3:26 pm
By: Ahli  

Apr 10 2012, 3:26 pm Ahli Post #1

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

STARCRAFT II - Season 7 Has Begun
--- New Melee League Season started ---

Quote from Blizzard Entertainment
The seventh StarCraft II League season has arrived! At this time, Season 6 milestones have been awarded and bonus pools and standings have been reset. Hidden skill ratings used for matchmaking and league placement have carried over from the previous season, so players who have completed placement matches in a previous season will only need to play one new placement match to kick off the new season.

Don't forget to review the changes to the official ladder map pool for Season 7 and keep in mind that Grandmaster League will start next week.

Good luck, have fun!
Source.

The map pool now uses 6 user created maps and only 4 Blizzard made maps:

^ Image taken from Teamliquid

Also, there have been applied changes for the matchmaking:

Quote from Blizzard Entertainment
We've been closely monitoring the quality of our matchmaking since StarCraft II was released to make sure that the ladder offers the most exciting and finely tuned competitive experience possible. It's been a great success, and because of the small skill gap between competing players, most games are tightly contested. While it's awesome that most games are very close, this also means that both players need to constantly be at the top of their games, because the slightest mistake usually means defeat. While we think this is a fun way to play, we're not sure if it's fun for every match to be this way.

As a one-season experiment, we will be slightly relaxing the matchmaking settings in Season 7 to introduce more variety into the ladder. In practical terms, this means you won't always be evenly matched with your opponent. You'll regularly compete with players at slightly higher or lower skill levels, resulting in what should be a more well-rounded experience. These adjustments to the matchmaking system could also result in some players earning faster league promotions for stringing together wins against higher-ranked opponents.

As always, we will be monitoring the effects of these changes and tweaking the settings to improve the matchmaking system going forward. We're excited to hear about your experiences and we're looking forward to your feedback about these changes once Season 7 begins.

See you on the ladder!

Source

Apr 10 2012, 5:57 pm UnholyUrine Post #2

the Only interesting part is that there're more User created maps than Blizzard maps.
It's too bad that it's only melee maps that're getting recognition from blizzard.

None.

Apr 10 2012, 6:53 pm DevliN Post #3

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

You mean aside from the custom map spotlights they do that promote user created custom maps? I'm not sure what else they could do to recognize non-melee maps. :/

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Apr 10 2012, 8:01 pm UnholyUrine Post #4

You may have a point, but it is very clear that Blizzard neglected custom content, and has continued doing so due to their relative inaction in that area.
Not saying that they haven't done anything at all, but nothing substantial has been done. Another way to put it is that they have done nothing that can prove that Blizzard, without a doubt, has interest in rekindling the custom map branch of this franchise that has made its original series so very loved.

Devlin, I'm not ignoring the facts here, I know they have been doing a lot of things to try to fix and make amends to the massive slap-to-the-face they gave us in the first place. They've continuously fixed the galaxy editor, made their own custom maps (with arguable success), and tried to make the custom map area of b.net 2 more accessible without doing a complete overhaul of it (with zero success). But I think one shouldn't deny that nothing truly remarkable has happened, and that the death of the Starcraft custom map era is largely due to Blizzard/Activision's negligence.

To put it into context, if Blizzard truly wants to give custom maps recognition, we should be seeing news of custom map tournaments, where competition is held at the same respect and seriousness of ladder tournaments. We should also be seeing more custom map spotlights, or at least consistent map spotlights, not whenever they want to or when Blizzard has made a custom map of their own and tries to compare it. Also, custom maps that have achieved their own niche, such as Smashcraft and Strikers, should be officially celebrated (where? I don't know, a tournament, where 3/5 maps are not made by Blizzard).

All the things that they have done so far has, arguably, only disguised the fact that they do not really care.

But, I may have spoken too soon, as HotS is coming out. Things may actually change drastically.

None.

Apr 10 2012, 9:52 pm TiKels Post #5

Haven't they tried re-doing the custom map system at least two or three times now?

without a doubt, has interest in rekindling the custom map branch of this franchise that has made its original series so very loved.
False. Melee is what made sc1 "loved." We are the minority.

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Apr 10 2012, 11:30 pm IskatuMesk Post #6

Lord of the Locker Room

Custom map tournaments? Wait. Before we get into all of this random junk, let's start fixing things at the very foundations first, aye? All of that junk is irrelevant in the grand scheme, much bigger and more fundamental things need to be done before we start worrying about "spotlights" and such.

On the melee front, it's good to see Blizzard slowly letting go of their iron grip over the map pool.

Show them your butt, and when you do, slap it so it creates a sound akin to a chorus of screaming spider monkeys flogging a chime with cacti. Only then can you find your destiny at the tip of the shaft.

Options
  Back to forum