Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: We are the 1%!
We are the 1%!
Oct 30 2011, 11:32 pm
By: Fire_Kame  

Oct 31 2011, 3:51 am poison_us Post #21

Back* from the grave

Simply wondering, did it cross anyone's mind that the "99%" consists largely of people without jobs? I mean, let's face it: the economy is shit. That means anyone with a job will either make damn well sure they won't lose it, or will be able to get a better one if they do become unemployed. One very effective way to become unemployed is to not show up at work. I'm assuming that this movement isn't restricted to weekends only.

My point is this: what do the "99%" want? They are unemployed, and while they protest for...whatever they want, they are not looking for jobs. If I were part of the 1%, AKA the percent that have money, and one would expect a job, I would be even less inclined to part with my hard-earned cash to someone who is too shortsighted, unwilling, or whatever you wish to call it, simply to have them end up in the same situation.

I touched upon their apparent lack of consensus upon the subject of their protest. Can anyone provide me with one example of a protester really voicing what they want? They don't want jobs -- they're not searching while they protest, I'd imagine. They don't have jobs, else they could not protest on the weekdays. They want some higher figure to magically erase their monetary problems. The large majority are unemployed through a fault of their own, such as one woman who graduated with a degree in women's studies, yet has no idea what she wanted to do with it; she simply got the degree because she liked it. Granted, there are a portion of this "99%" that do not fit my broad profile, and my condemnation doesn't apply to them. However, the majority of the "99%" shows no motivation to solve their problems.

I must note I'm actually biased towards being part of the "99%". I am a college student, with loans that will be in the range of 60k when I graduate. The reason why I don't side with the "99%" is because I knew what I was getting in to. I don't want someone to pay me when they have no reason to do so. While I would love to have that debt erased, the large majority of it is owed to the government, and subsidized at that. For those of you who don't know, that means I can pay it off while in college, but it accrues no interest until some time after I'm out of college (IIRC 6 months). I have no expectation of the rich portion of America taking my self-imposed burdens upon themselves. That said, I support the 1%. They earned their money, there is no reason they should have to get rid of it due to my incompetence, lack of foresight, or simple laziness.

TL;DR: I am part of the "99%" that supports the 1%.

Oct 31 2011, 7:06 pm Fire_Kame Post #22

wth is starcraft

Quote from Raitaki
Quote from Sacrieur
Zombehs don't need your living monies.
Money can buy meat, brains, human insides and the like. CURRENCY EXCHANGE GIGGLE
trade =/= currency

Oct 31 2011, 9:43 pm Sand Wraith Post #23

she/her

Hey guys, I live in a mansion and I have cosplaying maids and butlers to serve me!

And I have friends!

mmmmmmmoney

Oct 31 2011, 10:55 pm ClansAreForGays Post #24

We got alot for doing everything.

You STILL get a little for doing NOTHING.

We are the %1

Oct 31 2011, 11:05 pm Mp)HellFire Post #25

My money was stolen from me.
-150 minerals
I believe this is injustice no new taxes!

None.

Oct 31 2011, 11:55 pm Apos Post #26

I order you to forgive yourself!

Quote from Mp)HellFire
My money was stolen from me.
-150 minerals
I believe this is injustice no new taxes!
No, this just proves that poison_us was right.

Nov 1 2011, 12:58 am TiKels Post #27

Doesn't the occupation also have to do with protesting immoral and repurcussive (although not to the ones doing it) actions by banks?

Like I was eating dinner and I brought up the discussion. I'm not economist, I'm not going to claim to be knowledgeable in something that I'm not. But the gist of it I got was that it had to do with banks putting mortgages on people that couldn't pay them and then selling securities to the mortgages. Or something.

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Nov 1 2011, 1:04 am Sacrieur Post #28

Still Napping

This wouldn't be a problem if people didn't apply this greedy sense of ownership to everything. Resources must be shared, not kept, hoarded, and owned.

None.

Nov 1 2011, 1:20 am Vrael Post #29

Quote from Sacrieur
This wouldn't be a problem if people didn't apply this greedy sense of ownership to everything. Resources must be shared, not kept, hoarded, and owned.
Screw that. You don't deserve the sweat of my brow just because you exist, I'll share my shit with the people I want to.

None.

Nov 1 2011, 1:37 am Sacrieur Post #30

Still Napping

Quote from Vrael
Quote from Sacrieur
Screw that. You don't deserve the sweat of my brow just because you exist, I'll share my shit with the people I want to.

That "shit" isn't yours to share. And as long as we think of it as such, humanity will never become type I. It is necessary for our evolution.

None.

Nov 1 2011, 1:42 am TiKels Post #31

People aren't greedy, they are ambitious. If you figured out how to get bags of money, you most guaranteedly would.

People are, and always will be self interested. Why? Because giving someone else your food doesn't feed you. You have needs that are placed upon you and that emphasizes the idea of ownership.

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Nov 1 2011, 1:45 am Sacrieur Post #32

Still Napping

Quote from TiKels
People aren't greedy, they are ambitious. If you figured out how to get bags of money, you most guaranteedly would.

People are, and always will be self interested. Why? Because giving someone else your food doesn't feed you. You have needs that are placed upon you and that emphasizes the idea of ownership.

Fundamental physiological needs are problems that must be solved through science and engineering, not through inane philosophical rhetoric.

None.

Nov 1 2011, 2:41 am Vrael Post #33

Quote from Sacrieur
Quote from Vrael
Quote from Sacrieur

That "shit" isn't yours to share. And as long as we think of it as such, humanity will never become type I. It is necessary for our evolution.
Yes that shit is mine to share, because I'm the one who made that shit possible. You did nothing to deserve my shit, therefore its my shit.

Stay away from my shit!

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Nov 1 2011, 2:47 am by Vrael.

None.

Nov 1 2011, 2:55 am Lanthanide Post #34

Quote from Vrael
Yes that shit is mine to share, because I'm the one who made that shit possible. You did nothing to deserve my shit, therefore its my shit.
Society as a whole enabled to "make" that shit in the first place.

Try starting a business somewhere that doesn't have roads, electricity or a police force that has been created by a government out of taxes, and see how difficult and how profitable your business is. Also those workers you employ? They were educated at schools run by the government.

Go be a hermit in a forest and live completely self-sufficiently and see how you like it. Otherwise, pay taxes to society and benefit from the collective prosperity that results.

None.

Nov 1 2011, 2:57 am Sacrieur Post #35

Still Napping

Well if you did create that shit then I guess it is your shit. But the world's resources aren't really your shit man, and people need to learn to share the shit they make. Shit, man.

None.

Nov 1 2011, 3:23 am Vrael Post #36

Quote from Lanthanide
Quote from Vrael
Society as a whole enabled to "make" that shit in the first place.

Try starting a business somewhere that doesn't have roads, electricity or a police force that has been created by a government out of taxes, and see how difficult and how profitable your business is. Also those workers you employ? They were educated at schools run by the government.

Go be a hermit in a forest and live completely self-sufficiently and see how you like it. Otherwise, pay taxes to society and benefit from the collective prosperity that results.
No, individuals agreed to keep their own shit using rules called society, so that not just anyone can take anyone elses shit without repercussions. Sure, my education allows me to make my shit, but thats why I'm paying some of my shit to get that shit. We have police because we all agreed to give some of our own shit to them to protect our shit. We have roads because we decided we'd all pitch in some shit to get that shit. If we didn't agree to this shit, then no one would have any shit because no shit would belong to anyone. Those workers I employ are being given some of my shit, because they paid some of their shit to get some shit that allows them to work, and that work is shit that I want. The government doesn't own my shit, I own my shit. As soon as you start to take my shit, society crumbles. All that shit society "enables" us to make stems from the fact that I own my shit. You can't have my shit.

Oh, and sax, it aint your shit either, which means its my shit :D

I agree that we should share our shit. Keyword being "WE", not "GOVERNMENT SAYING WE HAVE TO SHARE OUR SHIT".

None.

Options
  Back to forum