Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Contests > Topic: SEN Rampage Contest 1-1
SEN Rampage Contest 1-1
Oct 2 2011, 2:02 am
By: Sacrieur
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4 5 68 >

Oct 11 2011, 2:33 am FoxWolf1 Post #61

My non-participation had nothing to do with any aspect of the contest, and everything to do with my not having any time last week.

A quick question, though: in the scoring rubric, under "function", one of the aspects is "their level of quality." How is that to be evaluated? Does it include compatibility? What about creation efficiency? I've always believed that there is no inherent "level of quality" to a properly functioning map system, only the efficiency with which it accomplishes its task, and that the whole notion that there are some ways that things simply ought to be done, in every case, is pure dogmatism. Hence my uncertainty as to how this aspect of the "function" criterion is to be scored...

None.

Oct 11 2011, 2:42 am Pr0nogo Post #62

I ended up skipping that in my judging and instead focused on efficiency and functionality. If it worked well, that was good. Otherwise - and based on how far away from 'working well' it was - points were deducted.

Oct 11 2011, 2:48 am FoxWolf1 Post #63

Alright, cool, that makes sense to me.

None.

Oct 11 2011, 3:03 am The Starport Post #64

'Aesthetics' is way too high of a scoring factor IMO.

None.

Oct 11 2011, 3:29 am Jack Post #65

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Myself, K_A, rummage, and kernelbob finally managed to beat my map. It's definitely got replay value :3 I actually highly enjoyed it for a map made in an hour and a half.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Oct 11 2011, 3:29 am ubermctastic Post #66

it could be longer, and have more stuff

None.

Oct 11 2011, 3:36 am Pr0nogo Post #67

I will be available for multiplayer judging tomorrow at 4:30-5:10 or Wednesday at 3-9.

Oct 11 2011, 4:10 am Sacrieur Post #68

Still Napping

Quote from FoxWolf1
My non-participation had nothing to do with any aspect of the contest, and everything to do with my not having any time last week.

A quick question, though: in the scoring rubric, under "function", one of the aspects is "their level of quality." How is that to be evaluated? Does it include compatibility? What about creation efficiency? I've always believed that there is no inherent "level of quality" to a properly functioning map system, only the efficiency with which it accomplishes its task, and that the whole notion that there are some ways that things simply ought to be done, in every case, is pure dogmatism. Hence my uncertainty as to how this aspect of the "function" criterion is to be scored...

Every judge has a different way of judging maps, and I'm not about to change that. Diversity is good in this business, and I can only share how I think the map should be judged. While the descriptions are nice, it is mostly for the contestants, and it is largely left up to judges to concretely define a category. This all in mind of the descriptions I did give the contestants, but I do like a laissez faire approach.

My answer is rather simple. A system's quality is how well it can perform the task its given, while efficiency is how easily it performs the task. Efficiency is all about minimizing the number of triggers or steps necessary.

To describe quality, I'll use an example. There exists two versions of hyper triggers, as I am sure you're aware. The NEO (next ending occurrence) of one is dependent on the number of triggers, the other does not have an NEO. The version without the NEO has fewer triggers than the one that does, and does not have an NEO; therefore, it is both of higher quality and efficiency.

This doesn't mean if you use the system with the NEO that one will be deducted points; in fact, the NEO can be extended to years with only a handful of triggers, and none of us will be any wiser by simply playing the map. Only detectable differences will be subject to deducted points.

---

The judging function will most likely take part on Wednesday, but I may be unable to attend this week due to scheduling conflicts. Confirmation on the exact date will be tomorrow at the latest.

EDIT

The function will take place on Thursday, 3-9 Eastern time. I will be attending.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Oct 11 2011, 4:40 am by Sacrieur.

None.

Oct 11 2011, 7:55 am Azrael Post #69

Quote from Sacrieur
Only detectable differences will be subject to deducted points.

Awesome ^^

Oct 11 2011, 9:03 am Jack Post #70

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Quote from name:Azrael.Wrath
Quote from Sacrieur
Only detectable differences will be subject to deducted points.

Awesome ^^
Aww, I had some sweet systems in place to make things more efficint. Mostly because I didn't have time to do stupid slow systems, although I probably had some of them in place too.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Oct 14 2011, 1:21 am ubermctastic Post #71

Any news?

None.

Oct 14 2011, 4:18 am Pr0nogo Post #72

Not sure when the multiplayer judging is taking place. I think Sacrieur planned something on Thursday but that was my birthday so I wasn't available.

Oct 14 2011, 5:08 am Sacrieur Post #73

Still Napping

That's fine, after all of the fubar I just went through with my computer it wouldn't have worked well anyway.

I swear though, I will get those scores out no later than a week from the contest's end.

None.

Oct 14 2011, 10:25 am Pr0nogo Post #74

How many players is required for Jack's map? If it's only two, Sac, you and I can test it ourselves.

/e

Unless it's more fun/works better when played with max players... In which case we should opt for the best option.

Oct 15 2011, 1:09 am Sacrieur Post #75

Still Napping

Well, it seems there is a huge scheduling conflict. I am working a lot this weekend, so we're going to have to do this weird. Terribly sorry, but you're going to have to figure out how to play it by yourself, possibly with Azrael, on your own time. Scheduling conflicts are just too obtrusive. I tried to make it work, but shit hit the fan.

But scores are due on Sunday at noon, Eastern time.

None.

Oct 15 2011, 2:58 am Azrael Post #76

I was ready at the previously scheduled time, so just let me know when you want to do it.

Oct 15 2011, 3:14 am Pr0nogo Post #77

Az, can you be on Battle.net Saturday at 8-11 EST? I have to work from 1-6 and then there's a birthday party for me from 7:30-11. No SC time unless it's in the morning and I'd be cutting it close if I tested it on Sunday.

Oct 15 2011, 3:52 am Azrael Post #78

I should be able to make that.

Oct 16 2011, 3:47 pm Pr0nogo Post #79

Judging is in, despite the lack of 8AM testing yesterday.

told you I'd find a way

Oct 17 2011, 4:17 am Sacrieur Post #80

Still Napping

Here are the results.

K_A's Tank Attack

- General Consensus
-
Demonstrating a clear focus and intent in design, the map seems to follow through with a well-thought out idea. Justifiably short, it relies on its intuitive game play with some clever controls and ingenuity to deliver a satisfying experience.

Aesthetics (30): 16.5
-
Design (20): 17
-
Function (30): 24.5
-
Theme (5): 4.5
-
Professionalism (15): 11
-
Total: 70.5

70.5%, γ-tier

Pr0nogo's Raw scores for Tank Attack by K_A

---

Jack[RCDF's Custom Hero Naruto DBZ Tank Defence

- General Consensus
-
The map seems to be based on a mediocre idea implemented in a haphazard way. It has no exemplary qualities and struggles to give even a modestly adequate experience.

Aesthetics (30): 7.5
-
Design (20): 10.5
-
Function (30): 12
-
Theme (5): 2.5
-
Professionalism (15): 4.5
-
Total: 37

37%, ε-tier

Pr0nogo's Raw Scores for Custom Hero Naruto DBZ Tank Defence by Jack

---

The clear winner, of course, is K_A. Congrats on making gamma tier.

Attachments:
customheronDBZtankdefence1.scx
Hits: 5 Size: 79.1kb
Tank Attack.scx
Hits: 6 Size: 65.65kb

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Oct 17 2011, 4:43 am by Sacrieur.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4 5 68 >
  Back to forum