Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Contests > Topic: Week-Long Mapathon Contest Reboot #1
Week-Long Mapathon Contest Reboot #1
Jul 2 2011, 3:44 pm
By: lil-Inferno
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4 5 >

Jul 26 2011, 3:56 pm ubermctastic Post #61

I haven't heard any more of this.....

None.

Jul 27 2011, 1:32 am lil-Inferno Post #62

Just here for the pie

Quote from name:K_A
I'm sorry, I don't and won't have access to my computer for a while.

Jul 27 2011, 2:04 am ubermctastic Post #63

Quote from lil-Inferno
Quote from name:K_A
I'm sorry, I don't and won't have access to my computer for a while.
sigh...

None.

Jul 27 2011, 3:40 am Sacrieur Post #64

Still Napping

I'll judge in his place if that's agreeable to everyone.

None.

Jul 27 2011, 4:27 am The_UrChai Post #65

I'll toss in some minerals if needed. they just sit around collecting dust. I'm actually allergic to dust.

None.

Jul 27 2011, 5:29 am Azrael Post #66

The OP was never updated, but the list of judges is supposed to be:

• lil-Inferno
  • TiKels
  • LoveLess

I doubt anyone would mind if you took Inferno's place, Sac.

Jul 28 2011, 1:05 am lil-Inferno Post #67

Just here for the pie

Quote from Sacrieur
I'll judge in his place if that's agreeable to everyone.
Go ahead since it would be a while until I could get around to judging.

Jul 28 2011, 3:24 pm Echo Post #68

When is next contest? My summer class is ending in 2 weeks whether I fail or pass. I'm probably going to have only 1 week free and then 1 more early September. Going to Haiti again in August, so it would be nice if contest started after the week of 22nd.

I still have not installed scmdraft2 onto my laptop since getting it last year.

None.

Jul 28 2011, 4:41 pm Dem0n Post #69

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

It's whenever someone decides to host it. lil-Inferno doesn't have a computer with starcraft installed for the time being and he's not really the sole contest leader, so anyone could host it if they wanted to.

Jul 28 2011, 7:46 pm Echo Post #70

Okay, someone host a contest quick!

If not, I'm going to go back and try to get back onto my sc2 mapping which probably will get dropped again because I have almost no time at all.

None.

Jul 28 2011, 9:41 pm Sacrieur Post #71

Still Napping

I'll be hosting the next contest. Date is TBA.

I've finished judging the two maps. Now just to wait for the other judges.

None.

Jul 28 2011, 10:16 pm lil-Inferno Post #72

Just here for the pie

Quote from Sacrieur
I'll be hosting the next contest. Date is TBA.

I've finished judging the two maps. Now just to wait for the other judges.
Go ahead and host it, and please use a better theme. :P

And also keep the same format as the OP and update it with new information and stuff.

Jul 29 2011, 3:18 am Dem0n Post #73

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Get reliable judges that will judge maps on time as well. :P

Jul 29 2011, 5:06 am Sacrieur Post #74

Still Napping

Since other judges are laaaaaaaazy, here are the official ratings:

Destroy the Earth by K_A

Gameplay: 3
There wasn't much gameplay short of walking around and the one instince of attacking something. Whether or not the map is fun to play is irrelevant, since there isn't much playing going on.

Originality: 8
No complaints with this one. The story and dialogue was all unique, and fits into a unique genre not often seen.

Aesthetics: 4
While simplicity is good, the map seemed unpolished and bareboned. Only a few unnecessary knicknacks made it in, such as the water fountain and cat.

Theme: 1
The central plot circulates around destroying the Earth, but little domination is seen throughout the rest of the map.

Completion: 5
I would have liked to see more things like the water fountain, but the map did feature a briefing and description. No bugs could be found.

- Total: 21/40, 52.5%

----

Dominate Map by Cecil

Gameplay: 5
There wasn't much to everything than making units and throwing them at the enemy. The opponents were not the easiest to beat, so by either elegant planning or a stroke of luck the map balanced out. However, there's much to be wanted.

Originality: 3
Kills to cash and using StarCraft's basic unit settings. While StarCraft's default units do add an element of balance that's quite difficult to obtain, they detract from overall uniqueness.

Aesthetics: 6
The terrain was nicely put together, but elements were repetitive, and one could even see the templates used in the upper left of the screen near the vespene orb.

Theme: 3
Domination of the alien opponent with infinite spawns is definitely domination. But be careful not to confuse domination with annhilation.

Completeness: 3
This map is not complete, and there's much to be added.

- Total: 20/40, 50%

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jul 29 2011, 5:26 am by Sacrieur.

None.

Jul 30 2011, 5:35 am TiKels Post #75

Judging now, please wait for my scoring.

Cecil's Map

Gameplay: 7. The game balanced out surprisingly well, with only a few odds and ends (such as where you can slap an archon on the lingmedic spawn and get super easy cash cuz of stacked lings) with a level of difficulty that maintained a challenge that always felt out of reach. I almost lost about 3 times in a single game, getting down to very few units. Felt tense because I didn't want to lose. Despite this, the game is short and feels incomplete due to simple (but well thought out) encounters as well as lacking a solid ending.

Originality 5. The map featured terrain that was less than revolutionary (well right now haha) but the concept was fairly novel. The whole "mini" approach really appealed to me. Nothing in it was particularly astounding or particularly cliched.

Aesthetics 6. The map, as said, had terrain that wasn't new, but everything went together fluidly and carefully. It felt crisp and polished with every area having a distinct, and pleasing, feel. I was disappointed at the lack of display text, even at victory or initial. There was no briefing, be-it ingame or actual briefing. There was no audio.

Theme 3. It managed to contain a sparse amount of a characteristic "domination" where you were either the dominee or the dominator (teehee making up words) but it didn't shift too much out of or into the theme.

Completion 2. Wasn't completed, lacks a small degree of polish. Ideas were well thought out (such as pylon placement in the last area) but were not expanded upon. Desires more to be "truly" complete.

K_A's map

Gameplay 2. The gameplay was very shallow and consisted of near no interaction for what I would call a "adventure rpg". There were a few plot-holes and oddities as well. Also it's very annoying trying to find the right way to go. I literally went the wrong way every single time.

Originality 7. The shining aspect of the game. The concept was quite original. The "adventure rpg" style is something that I don't think I have ever seen in sc but for a few rarities. The design was really just isometric so there's nothing good to say there.

Aesthetics 2.5 because I can. Felt shoddy and unprofessional. The vision was overbearing and lacked immersion. The dialogue was poorly written. The concepts and humor were juvenile. The shop was nice though. Also, if I'm not mistaken, you could see the DT walls.

Theme 3. Maintains the theme of domination but it felt too... literal? Like the theme itself felt cliche in the way it was used.

Completion 3. Yep that's a map. It sure is.

Now the the math section...

Cecil scored 23/40 or 57.5%. Keep in mind that I scored with 50% being "average"

K_A scored 17.5/40 or 43.75%.

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Jul 30 2011, 7:14 am by TiKels.

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Aug 1 2011, 2:24 am Sacrieur Post #76

Still Napping

Awesome, now we just need Lovel to post.

None.

Aug 1 2011, 2:47 am ubermctastic Post #77

I am happy with these results, even If my map is cliche :D

None.

Aug 2 2011, 1:44 am Pr0nogo Post #78

I can judge if Loveless is taking too long or is MIA.

Post has been edited 4 time(s), last time on Aug 3 2011, 3:14 pm by Pr0nogo.

Aug 10 2011, 2:13 am Sacrieur Post #79

Still Napping

The winner is Cecil, with an average score of 53.7%, followed by K_A with an average score of 48.1%.

Congratulations and thank you for participating.

None.

Aug 10 2011, 2:16 am DevliN Post #80

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Minerals sent. Congrats, guys!

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4 5 >
  Back to forum