Staredit Network > Forums > Technology & Computers > Topic: Video-Game Programmer
Video-Game Programmer
Dec 21 2010, 8:26 am
By: payne  

Dec 22 2010, 9:50 am DevliN Post #21

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from Lanthanide
Similarly I expect the people in QA who go through to development jobs have other factors in their background too, such as university degrees or side-projects and portfolios (for artists and such). I very much doubt that someone without a degree or other experience could get a QA job and expect to be hired as a developer.
You'd be surprised. I know of a lot of people who don't have degrees who are doing the jobs you describe. :)

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Dec 22 2010, 10:36 pm payne Post #22

:payne:

't'looks like I might change my mind. :S
Any ideas that stay in the field of Informatics (and possibly Sciences)?

None.

Dec 25 2010, 5:25 pm Apos Post #23

I order you to forgive yourself!

5 Ways to Make Money with Blender (Joke? or not?)

Not sure if it's really good for this topic but... Here is a pretty cool portfolio (Kinda) : http://dennylindberg.com/

Dec 25 2010, 7:14 pm CecilSunkure Post #24

Quote from Centreri
Stop plugging Digipen everywhere. Payne is Canadian, it doesn't apply.
Uhh anyone can go to the school. It used to be based in Canada.

What's wrong with plugging it? It's a great school and in my opinion the best way to get into the industry with the job you want.

None.

Jan 11 2011, 12:22 am ClansAreForGays Post #25

Quote from CecilSunkure
Quote from Centreri

What's wrong with plugging it? It's a great school and in my opinion the best way to get into the industry with the job you want.
Do you have a statistic of how many digipen graduates get game design/programming jobs? I bet it's less than half.

Jan 11 2011, 12:45 am MadZombie Post #26

It's like 9/10 or something but they say "into the industry" and I remember reading somewhere that colleges say that but in reality it means they get a job and not into the specific industry your degree is for. So I hear. ^^

None.

Jan 11 2011, 2:06 am CecilSunkure Post #27

Quote from ClansAreForGays
Quote from CecilSunkure
Quote from Centreri

Do you have a statistic of how many digipen graduates get game design/programming jobs? I bet it's less than half.
Yeah, in my degree 95% of all graduates are in the job they wanted straight from school. The other degrees are probably a bit different by a couple percentage points.

None.

Jan 11 2011, 2:44 am lil-Inferno Post #28

Just here for the pie

I'm no authority in this but, based on no experience, I'd suggest making a game or two using Flash and submitting them to popular sites like Newgrounds where they're sure to be recognized. If they get good feedback, good for you, if they don't then disregard the unconstructive criticism and use constructive criticism (hard to come by) to further improve your games. Also, only make something you know you'll be interested in and don't get too ambitious - if you go against these tips I'm fairly sure you won't ever finish a project.

Once you think you're ready, start learning how to do some big-time stuff. If it's not too late, go to school for game programming (Cecil already recommended DigiPen).

Jan 13 2011, 1:06 am ClansAreForGays Post #29

Quote from CecilSunkure
Quote from ClansAreForGays
Quote from CecilSunkure
Quote from Centreri

Yeah, in my degree 95% of all graduates are in the job they wanted straight from school. The other degrees are probably a bit different by a couple percentage points.
source. I'm calling BS. Also "My counselor told me" doesn't count, he just sold you.

Options
  Back to forum