Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Custom Maps > Topic: Temple Siege 2
Temple Siege 2
Sep 21 2010, 12:59 am
By: UnholyUrine
Pages: < 1 « 13 14 15 16 1722 >

Mar 26 2011, 7:06 pm UnholyUrine Post #281

@Moose
Yea, there were imbalances.. but I'm not sure if the terrain'd need to be completely done over

I think the important things to look for are choke areas, areas where people trade blows most of the time... areas of strategy maybe... running distance..
I don't know.. a lot of things to look out for...

You should leech someone's account like I'm doing :teach:

None.

Mar 26 2011, 7:09 pm DevliN Post #282

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

I realize that the idea of making the map completely symmetrical may make it feel like it isn't organic, but if you want to keep the diagonal playing field, that may be your best bet. At least then all the various issues I outlined when I posted the map image wouldn't exist, or they would be issues for both teams rather than just 1.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Mar 26 2011, 7:34 pm Jack Post #283

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Quote from name:Vortex-
What's the reasoning for having the "Building Area" on the right??

Yea, just rotate the cliff's like 90degrees in middle so it looks more like m3.4, won't be as linear.
Fix chokes on bottom lane, especially near entrances to bases, too easy to gank, escape routes are way more spread than need be.
Looks like a mimic of ts7 more than v1, roughly..
The plain terrain on the right was just imago mucking around. It shouldn't be there in the final map.
Quote from Mini Moose 2707
The terrain setup was a slight problem with TS. If we're using SC2 as an excuse to remake it, or at least make some changes, I would do the terrain over. There were imbalances in TS because it was corner to corner and would have been better if it were left to right. I don't actually have SC2, so perhaps things are different now, but just mentioning it in case they aren't.
I've always hated AoSs with horizontal terrain. Also, if we make the map mirrored along the bottomleft-to-topright line, then due to Sc2 being 3d there'd be near perfect balance. However, I'd say the three lanes should remain unique from each other.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Mar 26 2011, 9:00 pm l shade l Post #284

Quote from Jack
I've always hated AoSs with horizontal terrain. Also, if we make the map mirrored along the bottomleft-to-topright line, then due to Sc2 being 3d there'd be near perfect balance. However, I'd say the three lanes should remain unique from each other.

I agree, I think the lanes should be unique from each other. Just seeing standardized mirrored shit, is just a big old snooze fest to me if your looking and examining a map while your playing the game.

None.

Mar 26 2011, 9:09 pm DevliN Post #285

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

When I suggested keeping it symmetrical, I wasn't at all implying that all the lanes should look identical. Just wanted to clarify. :D

My Overwatch addiction.

Mar 27 2011, 3:35 am ImagoDeo Post #286

A couple quick notes on the terrain:
  • That stuff on the side was intended to be scenery, mostly. I hadn't gotten around to texturing and doodading that area yet.

• I expected to run into tons of issues, and people have already pointed out problems. So don't worry, this is being looked at and will be fixed. All still very much a WIP.

• As far as texturing/doodads/prettiness goes: any suggestions are welcome. This was somewhat of an experiment in texture blending. If someone has a better alternative, I'd love to see it. The pic that you see doesn't really give the full effect, since the player will be at a much lower altitude and there are atmospheric effects as well; I recommend people download the current version (as it is in that pic) and check it out for themselves. I'll attach it to this post.

• I can't really have any kind of finality on the terrain at all until I know, and the others making this know, what the heroes will be, what important locations will need to look like (item spawns, capturable spawners, central sections), what abilities will be in-game and how they'll react with the environs, etc. There's too many unknowns, but they needed a terrain set to help the unknowns become known. I am in fact half planning on changing several things, including
    • The entire island area - I'm going to look at the SC1 version for more general layout things
    • The whole central area. Zany was the one who ordered those cliffs to make it tighter and such. I don't know if there was a miscommunication, or what, but that's how it turned out from my interpretation of his comments. It can and will be redone.
    • A lot of the doodads, according to what the overall feel really should be. On this version, doodads mostly consist of a few scattered trees, some temple pieces, and lots of dry bones and dust storms for the more dusty areas. I think perhaps too many people still have TS1 firmly fixed in their minds when they think of the atmosphere, and it's going to have to change for SC2 - the world is no longer static.

So yeah, that's a basic overview on terrain. Any questions?

Edit: Oh yes, one final note: It is vastly more difficult to do diagonal symmetry in SC2 than you may think. So much so that I may even term it impossible. So unless demand for it skyrockets (as in blows the roof off of this entire discussion), I'm not doing it. It would take too much effort and time.

None.

Mar 27 2011, 4:36 am DevliN Post #287

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

I actually don't think it is as difficult. I realize you can't copy and paste like you would if it was vertical or horizontal, but it isn't that bad. And I'd say it would be worth it in the long run since you guys should be aiming to make this as popular as TS1. :D

As for doodad placement, I'd have to see the actual map for recommendations, but you're absolutely right that SC2 is a different beast.

My Overwatch addiction.

Mar 27 2011, 8:13 pm Jack Post #288

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/791269314
Sounds like someone released something? I don't have sc2 access at the moment, can someone check it out please?

EDIT
Looks like it exists, http://www.sc2ranks.com/map/47190/temple-siege
No problem, we'll just call ours Temple Siege 2 or Temple Siege II or something.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Mar 27 2011, 8:41 pm DevliN Post #289

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

The only Temple Siege I found was:

Author: Garrett Leaver

I doubt that's supposed to be the same thing.

My Overwatch addiction.

Mar 27 2011, 11:47 pm UnholyUrine Post #290

Okay....

Title Screen. Who is Luzzotica. I am unable to find a way to contact him.

Warrior's L3... it insta-kills a building

Engineer. Those turrets are L4's, while thors and bunkers are built by the SCV, which is L3

These make me believe he is not a data editor. As it is exactly like TS1, I have to build a zealot for L1, DT for L2, HT for L3, and Stalker for L4

Some new hero called Dark something... Has some interesting spells but its niche can easily be filled by other heroes.

Mutant's L3. His spells are almost exactly the same as TS1. They create units and kill them after a period of attacking.

He has also used the upgrade dilemma that I've used.. spells may or may not have different upgrade patterns.

I've shown all the heroes that are playable as of now (+Light mage. He changed reavers into collossi).
Night Day cycles
Haven't played long enough to see if Spawns level up.
Capturing outposts work
No probe buying (and thus no vespene and no spawn buildings)

We need to find out who this guy is.

None.

Mar 28 2011, 12:06 am Ahli Post #291

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

omg!!! That looks like a 100% SCBW mapper map...
I would bet that these explosions were made with kill & destroy units...

Actually that's how you could have made that map without much sc2 editor knowledge because you basically ignore the data editor as much as you can. ;D

sc2ranks finds him...
Here. He has temple siege in match histroy.

Mar 28 2011, 12:08 am UnholyUrine Post #292

With no way of contacting him

(EDIT I've found that already.. maybe i'm humongously stupid and don't know how to work the bnet forums.. but I can't find a way to contact him)

None.

Mar 28 2011, 12:27 am l shade l Post #293

What are you going to contact him for? Tell him you stole the temple siege community's map or something?

None.

Mar 28 2011, 12:30 am UnholyUrine Post #294

.. No of course not...
He's an asset. :sly:

Either way, I still want to contact him.

None.

Mar 28 2011, 1:11 am DevliN Post #295

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Weird, the only "Temple Siege" I saw through the editor was the map I posted about above. What's the impostor map called (since, as far as I know, you can't have two maps with the same name)?

Also, seeing that on SC2 is depressing. The least he could have done was take the time to use the editor. :facepalm:

My Overwatch addiction.

Mar 28 2011, 2:30 am Jack Post #296

Quote from DevliN
Weird, the only "Temple Siege" I saw through the editor was the map I posted about above. What's the impostor map called (since, as far as I know, you can't have two maps with the same name)?

Also, seeing that on SC2 is depressing. The least he could have done was take the time to use the editor. :facepalm:
I saw a Temple Seige map, which may be the one you saw (notice the spelling error). Also, using the editor browser doesn't let you see locked maps, which his will be.

EDIT
I am a ninja. http://www.sc2replayed.com/players/98757-luzzotica#c1

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 28 2011, 2:44 am by Jack.

Red classic.

Mar 28 2011, 2:55 am DevliN Post #297

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Yeah, I figured it was locked, I just didn't want to login to the game to find it. :D

My Overwatch addiction.

Mar 28 2011, 7:45 pm UnholyUrine Post #298

@ Terrain

@The cliffs in middle path
The cliffs in the middle's there for Terrain Elevation Strategies. I think it'd be fine if only the north face of the middle path has a cliff.

None.

Mar 28 2011, 11:02 pm NinjaOtis Post #299

Better than nothing?

Post has been edited 4 time(s), last time on Mar 29 2011, 12:02 am by Vortex-.

None.

Mar 28 2011, 11:04 pm DevliN Post #300

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

He has a direct copy of the SCBW map, I wouldn't call that valuable. And I don't think he's a valuable asset if he is using a gateway casting system in SC2.

EDIT:
For anyone curious as to why I posted this, Vortex-'s post basically say that this guy could be a valuable asset to the TS2 team before he edited it.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 29 2011, 12:37 am by DevliN.

My Overwatch addiction.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 13 14 15 16 1722 >
  Back to forum