Staredit Network > Forums > Technology & Computers > Topic: Laptop for SC2
Laptop for SC2
May 17 2010, 1:26 am
By: Echo  

May 18 2010, 10:10 pm Centreri Post #21

Relatively ancient and inactive

As a gaming laptop, it's a temporary measure that will be corrected in an unspecified timeframe - but, so far, not only can we not play custom maps (those which are most likely to stress the GPU), but Echo can probably not play for the nearest two months anyway. If my suggestion can run SCII on low/medium settings fine, it means he'll be able to play SCII maps without a hitch and use the laptop less as a Desktop replacement but as a portable computer afterwards.

So, it seems like it depends on whether he'll have any use for a laptop after getting a desktop (because if so, mine is superior in every category except gaming), and when he'll get his desktop (because if it's in only a few months, any impact on gaming performance by high-performance maps is small)

None.

May 18 2010, 10:25 pm rockz Post #22

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

I hate paying a premium for small stuff. FYI, the 9800 Pro is min SC2 specs, and the 310 is about 20% better than that (6000 3dmark05 vs 5000 3dmark05). I wish there were a better furmark database, which completely ignores your CPU.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

May 19 2010, 7:26 am NudeRaider Post #23

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from Centreri
As a gaming laptop, it's a temporary measure that will be corrected in an unspecified timeframe - but, so far, not only can we not play custom maps (those which are most likely to stress the GPU
Probably Custom maps would mainly stress the CPU which is fine. Many units, possibly triggers, and orders would stress the CPU.
However special effects like shots, shield flashes and whatnot are stressing the GPU. And this you'll likely find in large battles which can also happen in melee.

And paying over 900 dollars for such limited gameplay is really a waste.
I've done a quick check of ASUS laptops under $750 and this one seems much better suited for gaming. But I suspect battery life will be much shorter and it runs hotter. There might be more shortcomings, but I haven't checked that. I just went for gaming power and price.

May 19 2010, 12:45 pm rockz Post #24

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

lmao, that's the best buy so far nude.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

May 19 2010, 2:15 pm CecilSunkure Post #25

Yeah, the GTX 2xx series runs off a bit more power than would be preferable, right? And yes, that laptop is pretty cheap. Made me Lol when I saw it.

None.

May 19 2010, 6:02 pm Echo Post #26

That laptop seems great, but too bad it's a re-certified one.

None.

May 19 2010, 9:03 pm NudeRaider Post #27

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

I wouldn't mind minor scratches if I can save $100+. You still have full warranty.

May 19 2010, 11:38 pm Ahli Post #28

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

Laptops tend to overheat (at least mine does).
I've an Dell XPS M1530 (1.75 years old).

Overheating is a big problem. If you have a monitor, you can let your laptop stand like a book (that gives a better cooling that let it lying on the desk). I'm running sc2 beta on low with 30+ frames most of the time with trick.
But you can expect frame drops if sc2 has to calculate the pathing for many many units (I've 2x2.5ghz).

If my laptop is overheating, it lowers it's performance. Then you can compare it to an over 10 years old desktop.
I' think 2 fps were my record. It sucks, if you are in a 2on2 in the big fight and you cannot micro your units because you see nothing.

If I were you, I wouldn't get a laptop with heat issues for gaming. My hardware is fine but the heating drains all performance out of it.
Anyway, I would buy a desktop computer in the first place and then getting a small laptop afterwards, if you need to have a laptop (e.g.: for university).

But in the end playing newer games on a laptop isn't worth the money... I guess I'm going to buy a desktop computer for sc2, if the custom maps consume to much performance. They aren't that expensive, if you just want to run them sc2 on max settings.

May 20 2010, 2:13 am CecilSunkure Post #29

Have you considered getting a fan cooler for the laptop Ahli?

None.

May 21 2010, 4:27 am Echo Post #30

I'm thinking of getting this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115733

or this
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115732

What do you guys think?

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on May 21 2010, 4:44 am by Echo.

None.

May 21 2010, 1:59 pm rockz Post #31

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Get the cheaper one. Bigger hard drive. Not to mention, usually the best buy is the lowest in the same series (like you can get an e8200 much cheaper than an e8500).

May 21 2010, 2:15 pm Excalibur Post #32

The sword and the faith

Yeah grab the cheaper one. Bigger HDD and any i5 will be able to handle SC2.

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Options
  Back to forum