Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Terrain > Topic: Crystal Valley
Crystal Valley
Mar 20 2010, 11:26 pm
By: payne
Pages: < 1 2 3 >

Mar 21 2010, 4:21 pm DavidJCobb Post #21

Quote from MadZombie
I think the pylon auras make it look worse, at least the amount that was used but then again you couldnt use any less or the pylon lines would of made it looked even worse.

Maybe use pylon sprites as additional crystal? Will make it look more varied if used the right way.

If you want to have like the "crystals attacking you" then maybe you can have something like a trigger that creates a mineral patch and with the use of hyper triggers have it quickly set to 1% 25% 75% etc so it looks like it comes out of the ground for a quick jab and then do 75% 25% 1% (not really sure about the actual minerals required to make it look the correct stage) and use the scarab damage system to make it seem like it did damage.
EPIC IDEA IS EPIC.

And the amounts would be 1, 250, 500, and 800.

None.

Mar 21 2010, 7:11 pm payne Post #22

:payne:

Anyone up to trigger the idea? I must admit it looks awesome!
Also, David, would you post the map please?

I have 2 huge exams this week, I will not be able to work much on this... but I have a 4-days week-end ( :awesome: ) so I should try to experiment with that.

Question: Does the 3 mineral types have different forms when set to 1, 250, 500 and 800 ?

None.

Mar 21 2010, 8:11 pm DavidJCobb Post #23

Sorry -- thought I'd already posted the map. Here ya go. And yes, the three minerals all have different sprites, meaning that there are 12 variations total.

Attachments:
Crystal Terrain (for payne).scm
Hits: 5 Size: 57.37kb

None.

Mar 21 2010, 9:42 pm Leeroy_Jenkins Post #24

Maybe even have a sound effect :bleh:

None.

Mar 21 2010, 10:56 pm DavidJCobb Post #25

Updated version of my map, with the effect implemented off to the side. I didn't feel like hooking up a DDS, but it does have a mineral patch that stabs upward when a unit gets close. I also used the Zerg unburrowing sound for it.

Attachments:
Crystal Terrain (for payne).scm
Hits: 5 Size: 58.75kb

None.

Mar 21 2010, 11:50 pm TiKels Post #26

Actually that has been done before, I saw it in a RPG that was being made by... StarmanJr?... though I met him once and (if it was actually him) he claimed he was in a major car accident and suffered brain damage. He couldn't remember how to map at all (that is, once again, if it was him and not an impostor!)

If you want I could try and dig it up

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Mar 22 2010, 1:47 am payne Post #27

Quote from TiKels
Actually that has been done before, I saw it in a RPG that was being made by... StarmanJr?... though I met him once and (if it was actually him) he claimed he was in a major car accident and suffered brain damage. He couldn't remember how to map at all (that is, once again, if it was him and not an impostor!)

Pl0x! :wub:

By the way, does "High Altitude" gives you any ideas (environmental interactions, etc.)?
I though this could be in a mountain. Looking back to Yoshi's attempt gave to me that feeling...
The bottom edge should be endless cliff :O

None.

Mar 22 2010, 2:16 am DavidJCobb Post #28

@payne: Perhaps some kind of lift system, that can send ground units straight up to higher levels of terrain? There is the issue, however, of how to actually move them over a cliff (without just skipping over that cliff)...

None.

Mar 22 2010, 2:26 am payne Post #29

Quote from DavidJCobb
@payne: Perhaps some kind of lift system, that can send ground units straight up to higher levels of terrain? There is the issue, however, of how to actually move them over a cliff (without just skipping over that cliff)...
I wouldn't have enough terrain space to play with such a thing...
And the "Nooks and Crannies" error is hot on my tail so I must not do too many fancy things... ;o

EDIT:
Quote from MadZombie
Maybe use pylon sprites as additional crystal? Will make it look more varied if used the right way.
Possible to expand upon this? I really can't think of anything about this ;o

None.

Mar 22 2010, 3:41 am DavidJCobb Post #30

@payne: Mad means placing Pylons amongst the minerals, so that their crystals look like part of the crystal formations and add some variety. You'd have to be careful to cover the gold rings around them, though.

None.

Apr 1 2010, 4:27 am payne Post #31

Quote from xYoshix
Yoshi, mind posting the map?
And if anyone has more ideas/terrain, go on please! =D

None.

Apr 2 2010, 3:15 pm TiKels Post #32

Quote from payne
Quote from TiKels

Pl0x! :wub:

By the way, does "High Altitude" gives you any ideas (environmental interactions, etc.)?
I though this could be in a mountain. Looking back to Yoshi's attempt gave to me that feeling...
The bottom edge should be endless cliff :O
By sheer luck (or "un-luck"), it just so happens to be the third largest, and thus easily findable map in my starcraft folder. 4mb. (The other two being 12 and 11 mb, Rush 1 and Ahli's old demo)
Any suggestions on how to HOST this colossus ? Perhaps Tinymap and host it somewhere?
I don't know what website I should use. (Or wait... does the DLDB take up some of my space?)

Edit: As it just so happens, I found it in the DLDB. Too bad it's down... Go to hell devo.. jk
Download this when it is back up...

It is called, The Forgotten Legacies. Ooh awesome. :awesome: :corbo: :jaff:

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Apr 2 2010, 3:37 pm by TiKels.

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Apr 2 2010, 7:32 pm payne Post #33

Quote from TiKels
Edit: As it just so happens, I found it in the DLDB. Too bad it's down... Go to hell devo.. jk
Download this when it is back up...
Fml.
XD
Forgotten Legacies... that map name is such a deja-vu. I think I've already played it!
Is it from the guy who made that Patriot map and some other RPGs?

None.

Apr 2 2010, 9:16 pm CecilSunkure Post #34

Very interesting guys. I actually planned to do something very similar for the mine in my RPG. I'll post it up in a separate map when I finish. Good work, glad to see people still doing awesome things.

None.

Apr 10 2010, 11:03 pm CecilSunkure Post #35

Okay, so the screenshot doesn't have a crazy amount of crystals. It's much cooler in game.

Map -- Be sure to walk to and touch all the different crystal patches (there is an upstairs room too):
http://www.mediafire.com/?mxmzqzmmiwj

None.

Apr 11 2010, 12:13 am Super Duper Post #36

Cecil, your terrain never ceases to amaze me. :)
EDIT: Also Cecil, do you label your maps with a letter in a bracket at the beginning?

None.

Apr 11 2010, 12:23 am samsizzle Post #37

Quote from Super Duper
EDIT: Also Cecil, do you label your maps with a letter in a bracket at the beginning?
Its not like the filename has a letter in a bracket like [T] or anything...

None.

Apr 11 2010, 12:30 am CecilSunkure Post #38

Quote from samsizzle
Quote from Super Duper
Its not like the filename has a letter in a bracket like [T] or anything...
Yeah, I do this for my concept maps. [T], and [EUD]. The rest are just named maps.

None.

Apr 12 2010, 11:00 pm payne Post #39

Great concept, Cecil. I might use it =)

None.

Apr 13 2010, 3:25 am CecilSunkure Post #40

Quote from payne
Great concept, Cecil. I might use it =)
You definitely should; I plan to as well.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 >
  Back to forum