Staredit Network > Forums > General StarCraft > Topic: Temple Siege Question
Temple Siege Question
Mar 2 2010, 4:34 am
By: Kimaru  

Mar 2 2010, 4:34 am Kimaru Post #1

Hey, I've got a scenario here, and I'd like you guys to tell me whether I'm cheating or not:

I'm Light Mage, opponent is Assassin.
It's night and assassin is in my base attacking my pylon near the temple.
I cast L2 (reavers) and manual the pylon in order to splash him.
He teleports and declares cheating (manualling allied units).

I don't think that's cheating since I'm not killing anything, but he thinks it is because I'm manualling allied units. Who's right?

None.

Mar 2 2010, 4:42 am LoTu)S Post #2

Thats not cheating, thats smart, and totally allowed. He just can't admit that your attack was intuitive.
(Manualing allied units for exp is cheating)
Quote from Ts Tourny rules.
Let me be clear: You won't be charged for taking advantage of anything else that you might have invented and is widely unknown. I don't punish ingenuity and thinking outside the box. Example: splash-hitting an allie to force an enemy unburrow.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 2 2010, 5:13 am by LoTu)S.

None.

Mar 2 2010, 5:03 am rockz Post #3

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

I'm against any form of a + click that cant be accomplished by right click. I would consider it cheating.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Mar 2 2010, 5:21 am LoTu)S Post #4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6CAzqKDoAo

Would this be cheating?

None.

Mar 2 2010, 5:46 am rockz Post #5

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Yes. Only because the game wasn't designed that way, nor do I play that way. The fact of the matter is that only some units can force attack through the perma-ally. I don't particularly think you should be able to destroy your own buildings (otherwise, I'd destroy my own warp gates in pre m8 games. that way the opposing team can't get ANY exp). By being able to attack your own buildings, that means you can destroy your own buildings, which you shouldn't be able to do.

IMO any a + click is cheating, but that's just me. Plenty of other people think differently.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Mar 2 2010, 8:33 am FlashBeer Post #6

I think it's fair play because he was attacking the allied building to injury his enemy, not to gain exp nor deny exp. Many people aim their storm to splash allied units along with foes, rather than aiming for enemies alone. Even though I think this is fine (due to the fact that storms splash a lot), I find it less fair than the former situation.

None.

Mar 2 2010, 9:45 am NudeRaider Post #7

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

rockz, attacking own units for the splash is not cheating or it would have been patched. Yes Blizzard did not think of it when they created it (hence it wasn't designed that way) but they also did not think about microing goons to fight lings. Does that make microing a cheat? Certainly not.
As can be seen in the video this is also used in professional games and I bet the referee didn't call to remake the match because of it.
So this is just your opinion, but as a matter of fact it IS a viable strategy.

And I think the rule quote makes it quite clear that the same translates to Temple Siege.

Mar 3 2010, 2:05 am rockz Post #8

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Blizzard made Temple Siege? Sorry, I consider "maps" "games", so it's confusing. Obviously attacking a lifted building with valks to splash wraiths is completely legal, but that wasn't the question I answered. The question I answered was "is this legal in TS". The answer is (IMO) no.

My rule is simple: any form of a + click that cant be accomplished by right click is cheating.

Note this only applies to temple siege. If you use that rule, then it's pretty easy to enforce. There is no gray area. So you can only attack your own buildings when an enemy unit is nearby? I thought I saw a DT attacking the warp gate, so I killed it. Sure I'm taking it to the extreme, but wouldn't it be far simpler to just let assassin be able to do whatever he wanted at night (unless you have DM, summ, mutant, or rine) and ban a+click? If you're up against an assassin, you should probably pick one of those units anyway.

Alternatively, let's just make it so that everyone can a+click by turning off perma-ally. That would let you deny your opponents creeps/buildings/whatever. Whatever, it doesn't matter. If it's possible, people will do it.

Mar 3 2010, 11:45 am NudeRaider Post #9

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

The easiest rules are not always the best.
Quote from Ts Tourny rules
Let me be clear: You won't be charged for taking advantage of anything else that you might have invented and is widely unknown. I don't punish ingenuity and thinking outside the box. Example: splash-hitting an allie to force an enemy unburrow.
But this makes it quite clear that it IS legal.

Yes, this allows a grey zone, but I think judges are quite competent in determining if it was an abuse or if he was trying to actually kill a dt.
Besides a warpgate doesn't die from a few hits early on. And in late game you're probably doing your enemy a favor.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 3 2010, 12:46 pm by NudeRaider.

Mar 3 2010, 5:16 pm ClansAreForGays Post #10

This exact situation was brought up in a tourny match. As long as you didn't kill the pylon(getting exp from it) then you are in the clear.

Mar 3 2010, 9:15 pm rockz Post #11

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

so a + click spawn is legal if you don't kill it? What happens if the player kills a building accidentally (they didn't know hit had 300 life left, and used all 4 reavers to kill it)? Then it's cheating?

Options
  Back to forum