Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: Creating Units Problem
Creating Units Problem
Oct 26 2007, 11:49 pm
By: blacklight28  

Oct 26 2007, 11:49 pm blacklight28 Post #1

When I put in the triggers, "Create 1 'unit'" it created 2. It always creates double the amount that I want created.

None.

Oct 26 2007, 11:55 pm Kenoli Post #2

I guess you have the trigger assigned to a force or all players, in which case there are multiple copies of the trigger.

None.

Oct 27 2007, 12:01 am Killer2121 Post #3

just make sure u put it on "player 1-8"

None.

Oct 27 2007, 12:08 am who Post #4

It depends. If it's set to more than 1 player and it creates the unit for a specific player, like Player 1, then it'll make multiple units if the other players in the trigger are present.
It shouldn't do it if it's set to Current Player.

None.

Oct 27 2007, 12:15 am blacklight28 Post #5

Wow, I'm retarded. Anyway, another question for bounds. When you bring your bounder to the next level how do you disable the previous obstacle?

None.

Oct 27 2007, 12:18 am who Post #6

Have each obstacle only run if a switch/counter is set, and clear the switch/counter and set the next one after you beat the level.

None.

Oct 27 2007, 7:24 pm blacklight28 Post #7

Can you give me the triggers for that? I've seen the switches things in different bounds but I don't know how it works.

None.

Oct 28 2007, 12:25 am Kenoli Post #8

This might be helpful.
http://www.maplantis.org/index.php?map=1269

None.

Oct 28 2007, 1:28 am blacklight28 Post #9

Don't really get it...

None.

Oct 28 2007, 1:47 am Kenoli Post #10

Each obstacle has a number. A counter controls which one is active. When an obstacle is beaten the counter goes up by one, which ends the last obstacle and starts the next one.

None.

Oct 28 2007, 7:17 pm blacklight28 Post #11

Ooooh! I get it! Thx for the help but now for my second obstacle of my bound has a wait problem....

None.

Oct 28 2007, 7:56 pm who Post #12

it may have a wait problem at the start of the next level, if there is no delay between the two levels. the waits in that level and the next level will block each other temporarily.

None.

Oct 28 2007, 8:09 pm blacklight28 Post #13

I'm saying like the explosion/death thingy for the bound isn't happening at the right time. It's delayed for a looong time and if I don't put any waits. It's just like a million guys spawning and dieing right when I spawn. Check the map and see if you can find my error.

None.

Oct 29 2007, 3:53 am Kenoli Post #14

The hypers are assigned to All Players. AKA Massive wait blocks.
Take them off All Players and put them on Force 1. That should work as long as you don't use waits with those players.

None.

Oct 29 2007, 4:56 am blacklight28 Post #15

The waits use to be on Force 1, then I put them on for All Players. Also, how would they be massive if they're waits of 0 milliseconds. And it's the second obstacle that's having the problems just FYI.

None.

Oct 29 2007, 5:58 am Ryan Post #16

If you don't know how switches work, I'll explain them to you. If you DO know how they work, I can't believe I just wasted my time making this description.

Think of a light switch.
You flick it on, the light bulb goes bright.
You flick it off, the light bulb dims.

It's generally the same concept in StarCraft.

(Condition):
Switch 1* is set.
(Action):
[Actions] ~ Put in the actions you want. (The light bulb goes bright)

This trigger is turning the light bulb on.

Generally a switch is given Preserve Trigger as an action, because most people use Switches so triggers may be turned on and off, such as in a bound or a mass game. Mass games use different switches to create different units, such as a player starting off with spawning Tanks, gets 100 kills, then starts spawning Marines.
In bounds, switches are used for diffferent obstacles.

Normally there will only be an Action present for when a Switch is set, but you may also place Actions for when a Switch is cleared.

To set/clear a Switch, you must have a different trigger.

(Condition):
Player 1 brings at least 1 Men to Location*
(Action):
Set Switch 1*
Preserve Trigger*

(Condition):
Player 1 brings exactly 0 Men to Loaction*
(Action):
Clear Switch 1*
Preserve Trigger*

When Player 1 brings at least 1 Men to Location, the switch will be set. (The light bulb goes bright)
Let's say Switch 1 creates a Marine at Location 2.

(Player 1 brings at least 1 Men to Location / Set Switch 1)
(Switch 1 is set / Create 1 Marine at Location 2)

When Player 1 brings exactly 0 Men to Location, the switch will be cleared. (The light bulb dims)
Let's say Switch 1 cleared kills a Marine at Location 2.

(Player 1 brings exactly 0 Men to Location / Clear Switch 1)
[Normally there is no action to a Cleared Switch, but if necessary...]
(Switch 1 is cleared / Kill 1 Marine for Player 1 at Location 2)

In a bound, you'd apply the same concept except creating/killing at different Locations and normally switch 1 must always be set first.

(Condition):
Always*
(Actions):
Set Switch 1*

(Condition):
Switch 1 is Set*
(Actions):
Create 1 Wraith at Location*
Create 1 Wraith at Location 2*
Wait 500 miliseconds*
Kill all Any Unit for All Players at Location*
Kill all Any Unit for All Players at Location 2*
Preserve Trigger*

To set a new obstacle you'd put...

(Condition):
Force 1 brings at least 1 Men to Location 3*
(Actions):
Clear Switch 1*
Set Switch 2*

(Condition):
Switch 2 is set*
(Actions):
Create 1 Wraith at Location 4*
Create 1 Wraith at Location 5*
Wait 500 miliseconds*
Kill all Any Unit for All Players at Location 4*
Kill all Any Unit for All Players at Location 5*
Preserve Trigger*

I really hope this explanation helps. Some things may be left unexplained and you may not understand some of the things I'm trying to say, so hopefully maybe someone else could help you to understand.

* ~ Means optional. This action / condition may or may not be required for your triggers to work.

None.

Oct 29 2007, 6:49 am Kenoli Post #17

The waits use to be on Force 1, then I put them on for All Players. Also, how would they be massive if they're waits of 0 milliseconds. And it's the second obstacle that's having the problems just FYI.
A wait 0 does not wait 0 milliseconds. That is no time at all. For whatever reason, they ends up waiting about 84 milliseconds instead. (on fastest)
If you have lots of these waits running and blocking each other all the time, other waits can end up with long delays.

The waits in higher triggers have a sort of priority. The reason the first obstacle trigger isn't having a problem is because it's actually above the hyper triggers. You could fix the second one by moving it up there too.

None.

Oct 29 2007, 12:31 pm NudeRaider Post #18

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from Kenoli
The waits in higher triggers have a sort of priority. The reason the first obstacle trigger isn't having a problem is because it's actually above the hyper triggers. You could fix the second one by moving it up there too.
This method of fixing sounds familiar, lawl

Oct 31 2007, 7:00 am blacklight28 Post #19

I can't put both of them in front of the hypers, I put the second one first but now the first one is a bit slower.

None.

Nov 3 2007, 2:07 am blacklight28 Post #20

If I put the second obstacle before the first, the first obstacle has wait problems! HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

None.

Options
  Back to forum