Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Theory and Ideas > Topic: Puzzle Movie Map Idea
Puzzle Movie Map Idea
Jan 18 2010, 2:57 am
By: TiKels  

Jan 24 2010, 5:26 pm atto Post #21

@Tikels: I think that the entire "lost" idea would be a wonderful plan, and I will explain why. If you want to do something like a series, you're going to need a plot that will keep viewers/players wanting more and increasingly difficult puzzles. To do this, you would need a storyline or some sort of background information that you can connect each different puzzle game you make and point each one of them in a single direction i.e. "Joe needs to find his lost parents whom never came home, so he sets out on a puzzling adventure in hopes to reunite his family.". Yes, I know that what I just said was corny as @#$%, but it's just an example. Some sort of twisted plot throughout the game that makes it all come together in the end would most likely keep users entertained AND challegned (with the puzzles of course). Make many characters i.e. "Joe, Frank, Sussie and Sally" in multiple puzzle games, and somehow connect each of those characters in a final puzzle (they are searching or doing something that you have to decide by the end of the plot). You wouldn't even have to explain the plot, you could keep it a mystery and give puzzling hints at to what's going on throughout the series ^^ (as long as you're a good writer lol). Anywho, this is what i meant by "Lost", because in the plot, they are stuck on an island and know nothing about each other. By the end of "Lost", they find out that "oh, im your 2nd cousin from the removed side of the family" or "he's that crazy dentist that my mother saw two years ago and was injured due to poor professionalism" (again, just more examples). I don't really watch lost, so I don't know what's going on, but im sure you can understand my idea to replicate an ingeneous plot.

Door Maze:
As for puzzles, I thought of a REAL puzzle. Everyone during their gaming career has played a game where you have a room full of portals, choose one and you enter a different room (maybe, if you choose the right one). Again, this is just combinations or examples of. The player would have to escape the intricate matrix of rooms by the correct doors ONLY, in which most of them will take you back to the start and just confuse you as to why they are connected.

None.

Jan 24 2010, 5:32 pm TiKels Post #22

You make some good points atto, and I don't watch lost either...

The puzzle you listed was actually exactly like a puzzle in Zelda: Majora's Mask...

I am not trying to be mean, but the puzzle itself is tedious, as a person only has to randomly guess at things until they get it right, a monkey could do it (Maybe...). If you really want me to, I could show you a puzzle I made awhile ago that is pretty close to what I am looking for.

Hurrah second page! Was wondering when I'd get here...

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Jan 25 2010, 4:16 am atto Post #23

Yeah I wouldn't mind seeing a puzzle you made at all. This way I could give you a bit better feedback than trying to stab ideas in the dark with a rusty spoon. :lol:

None.

Jan 25 2010, 5:29 am ImagoDeo Post #24

I've got an idea. A player is given a reaver and a set of units that represent instructions. The reaver begins at a certain point, and the player has to assemble the instructions into a specific order that tells the reaver to complete a sequence of moves and/or actions.

Examples of instructions could be Move Forward, Turn Left, Turn Right, Turn Around, and Fire Scarab (accomplished by alliance status and uninvincible target unit?).

The player could be limited in the amount of each instruction that he could input, and have to complete a maze or room to gather more possible instructions. For example, he starts with two Turn Left instructions, three Move Forward instructions, and one Fire Scarab instruction. When he completes the section, he keeps those instructions and gains two Turn Around instructions and eight Move Forward instructions. The sequence has to be precise to finish each room.

I'm putting together a demo map, should be done in ~24 hours.

None.

Jan 30 2010, 3:56 pm TiKels Post #25

Alright, its ready!

You can play solo or with two people, but p1 is always required.

The puzzles themselves are pretty good in my opinion, if you have any constructive comments please inform me of them.

Please note, if you want to make a puzzle submission, try and make the puzzle itself smaller then the arenas in this map as they are HUGE.

Attachments:
The Conundrum Small.scx
Hits: 4 Size: 10.98kb

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Jan 31 2010, 12:43 am atto Post #26

Lol, I tried your puzzle, and it's damn confusing. I don't know if I'm just reading your text wrong, but it seems to me that your english is a bit broken or missing some key words. I tried reading the text many times over to understand what to do, and I thought I understood it many many times over before giving up in failure to complete the first task. Anywho, it looks very interesting, I'd just work on the text that you give out as a hint.

None.

Jan 31 2010, 1:34 am TiKels Post #27

Yeah it's largely untested, but since you asked for it... (I was considering translating the puzzles into different languages within the same map because some puzzles are hard for non-fluent speakers or people who don't have English as a first language)
Hint:
The first room is a hidden meaning puzzle, if you look at the note in the bottom left,(I forgot to put a line that indicates to "Start At Kingdom") the lines contain largely unimportant information except each line contains a capitalized direction. IE: "There was still One Left." where you would move One rock tile to the Left of your last position. I am a fluent speaker of English.

-NudeRaider

Jan 31 2010, 2:17 am UnholyUrine Post #28

This is what I thought...

Puzzle - Puzzle maps are hard to do...
Movies - Movie maps are even harder to do..

Puzzle Movie maps - O shi- .. WTF????

The way you described it.. reminds me of the new Mario Bros. going inside Bowser's body....
when joe needs to jack off... we need to continually run back and forth to stroke...... :stfu:

None.

Feb 1 2010, 1:16 am TiKels Post #29

Lol... UU thanks for the support! (Yay... :<_<:)

You could at least make a submission ... it doesn't take but a minute!
Obviously puzzles wouldn't be LITERALLY completing the task, but completing a possibly related puzzle... sort of like the second puzzle on my map... the puzzle itself could be used to represent him trying to remember the name of a girl, so he can shout out her name to make her pay attention and not run off a cliff/do something stupid.
And lol@ "When joe needs to jack off..."
I hope I never have to see a puzzle like that.

-NudeRaider

Options
  Back to forum