Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Terrain > Topic: Installation floor->roof
Installation floor->roof
Jan 12 2010, 11:37 pm
By: Biophysicist  

Jan 12 2010, 11:37 pm Biophysicist Post #1

Quick question: Is it possible to create a floor-to-roof blend in Installation? If not, I'll just cover it up with disabled gun turrets or doors or something.

None.

Jan 13 2010, 12:02 am JaFF Post #2

It's nearly impossible to create blends on Installation in general. :P Try using the tiles from the left and right wall ends (the ones you'd use for tables on the floor) and somehow cover the actual transition with traps.

None.

Jan 15 2010, 3:58 am DavidJCobb Post #3

I once made a High Substructure (over Floor) blend with a shit-ton of sprites. Sixty-something, IIRC.

Here's my map for Installation terrain experiments, with some half-assed modifications (Start Locations, forces, a few units to test vision and walkablility) to make it playable. (I haven't actually tested it in SC. For all I know, it might crash or something. But in SCMDraft, it's solid, if a whole fucking lot little sprite-heavy.) It includes:

HIGH SUBSTRUCTURE (54 sprites)
A small (~2x2 isometric tiles) elevated substructure platform.

FLOOR-TO-ROOF (20 sprites)
Including the border, it's 2x2 isometric tiles. However, the way it's aligned, it's more like (.5 + 1 + .5) by (.5 + 1 + .5) isoms. Made it just for you.

And a preview. Sprites on the left, terrain-only on the right. In both cases, the nulls should be replaced with Floor. You'd want to align it so that the grooves between floor tiles match up. (In FTR, the floor terrain should match with its surroundings; in HS, the top-most Floor Missile Trap sprites should match with the Floor terrain that the HS is placed with.) When actually adding the sprites (if you don't just copypasta from my map), most of the Floor Missile Traps should be snapped to SCMDraft's Fine grid. (There are a lot of overlapping tile sprites that you'll miss if you try to do this by eye. Copypasta may be the better method here.)

As for credit... It'd be nice, but since these are so sprite-heavy, I'm not gonna bitch or anything if none is given.

As for larger structures... You can extend the terrain and sprites manually. (Didn't feel like breaking them into pieces, sorry.)

Attachments:
Installation Terrain Experiments.scm
Hits: 11 Size: 61.58kb

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jan 15 2010, 4:02 am by DavidJCobb. Reason: JUST4U!

None.

Jan 17 2010, 12:40 am stickynote Post #4

Dude, the one on the bottom left is off the hook.

None.

Jan 17 2010, 12:51 am JaFF Post #5

Bottom left is cool. If the walkability of its upper part is fixed, it becomes amazing.

None.

Jan 19 2010, 8:25 pm DavidJCobb Post #6

Slight fix for Elevated Substructure's upper edge. There was one tile in particular that would have looked better, but it would also have created gaps, allowing Ghosts and Zerglings to walk through what should be a solid wall. Apparently, I also miscounted earlier; the blend uses 57 sprites, not 54.

So with effective (over)use of sprites, we have Floor-to-Roof and Elevated Substructure... Other blends are probably possible, but it seems like Floor-to-* blends would be the easiest (because of the floor tile sprites). I think I'll do a little bit of research.

None.

Jan 19 2010, 8:42 pm Super Duper Post #7

Its good, but whats REALLY AMAZING is the fact that the doors have lights under them. I dunno, I like little details like that.

None.

Jan 20 2010, 8:15 am Gigins Post #8

Not really terrain, more like sprites, but nice find. ;)

None.

Options
  Back to forum