Staredit Network > Forums > Staredit Network > Topic: SEN's Questions For Blizzard!
SEN's Questions For Blizzard!
Dec 15 2009, 3:14 am
By: Excalibur  

Dec 16 2009, 12:43 am Fire_Kame Post #21

wth is starcraft

As part of SEN's community, I just want it to be known that I do not wish to ask any questions any of you may ask, no matter how relevant or thoughtful.

Dec 16 2009, 12:50 am InsolubleFluff Post #22

1) In detail, could you please elaborate upon Basic and Premium Maps. Requirements, Rewards and Prices?

2) Clans were a big part of mapping history and created a lot of innovation. Will we be seeing a more in-depth clan feature and will it require 10 cd keys?

3) Open Source and Closed source mapping have both got advantages. With the new locking mechanism, will it be possible to view maps in a 'read-only' form?

4) How friendly is the new editor? We know it's powerful, but will it be accessible for newbs

None.

Dec 16 2009, 12:52 am InsolubleFluff Post #23

5) Can people join mid game (ums) and will there be features to vote kick back stabbers and other nasties without triggering.

None.

Dec 16 2009, 8:14 pm NudeRaider Post #24

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from name:Shocko
1) In detail, could you please elaborate upon Basic and Premium Maps. Requirements, Rewards and Prices?

3) Open Source and Closed source mapping have both got advantages. With the new locking mechanism, will it be possible to view maps in a 'read-only' form?

5) Can people join mid game (ums) and will there be features to vote kick back stabbers and other nasties without triggering.
+1 for these

Quote from l)ark_ssj9kevin
Is the editor open source?
Answer: No

Dec 17 2009, 4:05 am Falkoner Post #25

Guys, if you can do it in WarCraft III, assume you can do it in SC2, we need to ask the questions related to SC2 specifically.

Q: On Battle.net 2.0, will bans from games be based on IP Address, rather than username, to help combat possible spoofing?

Q: Will conditions which specifically take action based on the game's memory (IE: EUDs in SC), in order to allow for conditions possibly missed by the initial programming, be supported fully in SC2, or supported whatsoever?

Q: About what is the average file size of the more complex maps, such as those using custom units and models, currently in SC2, and how fast can they be transferred over B.Net 2.0?

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Dec 17 2009, 4:16 am by Falkoner.

None.

Dec 17 2009, 4:55 am ImagoDeo Post #26

1. Will there be set playable map sizes? If so, what will they be? If not, what will the maximum dimensions be?

2. Will mappers be allowed to set cycle periods for triggers?

3. Will there be a location limit?

4. Will map coordinates (in pixels or grid squares) be usable as trigger condition/action parameters?

5. Will terrain be based on grids any more? Will default terrain still be isometrical? Will terrainers be able to create custom doodads/terrain arrangements/brushes/etc. without need for an advanced editor?

Way more than 5 questions, I know, but still... there's so much potential, I hate to see it go to waste.

None.

Dec 17 2009, 4:56 am Falkoner Post #27

2. Will mappers be allowed to set cycle periods for triggers?

It's pretty similar to WC3 in how it constantly checks, and I think you can make it run like every 2 seconds or something as well in the conditions.

None.

Dec 17 2009, 4:58 am Jack Post #28

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

2 and 3 shouldn't be a problem. As for 1, max is 256x256, as they said in another Q. But my question about scaling, if answered positively, means map size won't be a problem.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Dec 17 2009, 4:59 am UnholyUrine Post #29

Just realized it's asking for feedback too...

There's one thing I've always disliked about the new terrans... and that is the Marauders.

The Marauders always seem very OP. They have high armor, can be built by barracks (so 1-1.5 tier), high explosive dmg, slows enemies down, has the same speed as marines, AND can be stim'd. Other than the fact that it can't attack air units, it doesn't seem to have any other weaknesses. It's fast, and focus-fire will eradicate "big" units designed to cut swarms of enemies, such as a pack of marauders, i.e. the colossus. I feel that, other than resource cost, there are no detriment to getting marauders, and that it has become the bread and butter unit of terran (like Hydras were back in SC1)

An idea would be to make them move slower. Since they really pack a lot of armor, it works aesthetically. And, in gaming theory, their slowness makes them less of an assault unit, and make it harder for them to gather and focus fire on larger enemies as long as the opponent's smart enough to move the dmg'd units away. With stim, this effect is basically gone too, so technically it acts like the zealot speed in SC1 just to tone down the sheer strength of this unit in the early games.

Not to mention that the terran has the add-on that allows them to build infantry (especially marauders) in alarming speeds.
Looking at other races, they do NOT have any early tiered units that can face the marauders. Roaches are desimated by focus fire, and zealots REQUIRE the upgrade "Charge" to even get CLOSE to the marauders (exageration, but not really).

So, In Summary, The sheer strength of marauders, plus it being a low tier'd unit, and terran's ability to double their productions make them an OP unit that other races simply could not outmatch without building other specific units to counter (such as air units). Suggestion would be to make their speed slower, giving them a handicap while assaulting other's base. Their speed can be redeemed with the stim upgrade.

NOTE: I'm up to discuss about this, because it's only my opinion, and I'd love to hear other people talk about this (maybe in another thread if it gets out of hand)

None.

Dec 17 2009, 5:03 am ImagoDeo Post #30

Quote from name:zany_001
2 and 3 shouldn't be a problem. As for 1, max is 256x256, as they said in another Q. But my question about scaling, if answered positively, means map size won't be a problem.

Yeah, I understand that.

Quote from OlimarandLouie
How many of SC1's units will be available in the editor? It would be real awesome to see a new and improved Dark Archon.

I'm pretty sure we'll have full unit modding capabilities. New communities will spring up doing 3d modeling, like Hive Workshop for WC3. Most of the old SC units that were dropped will be reintroduced, at least in model form. I'd give it about six months before we even have Lara Croft, Indiana Jones, and Godzilla models in there somewhere.

None.

Options
  Back to forum