Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: Indefinite Space Travel Method
Indefinite Space Travel Method
Nov 16 2009, 4:05 am
By: rayNimagi  

Nov 20 2009, 8:54 pm MadZombie Post #21

OP post reminds me of the 747 on a giant treadmill. "SEE GUYS! I'VE ELIMINATED THE NEED FOR A RUNWAY. WERS MY MEDAL?"

Not to be taken as bashing. :C

None.

Nov 21 2009, 6:07 am scwizard Post #22

If a spaceship went really fast. Its crew would have no problem reaching other stars in their lifetime. Getting information about them back to earth is an entirely different matter.

None.

Nov 21 2009, 6:52 am Fire_Kame Post #23

wth is starcraft

Yes, because transporting the mass of a human at light speed is so much easier than transporting radio waves...

Nov 21 2009, 7:48 am scwizard Post #24

Well, if the star is 200 light years away. Then a human could reach it in their life time due to time dilation, but the radio waves wouldn't reach the earth from the star for 200 years.

None.

Nov 21 2009, 9:44 am Syphon Post #25

Quote from MadZombie
OP post reminds me of the 747 on a giant treadmill. "SEE GUYS! I'VE ELIMINATED THE NEED FOR A RUNWAY. WERS MY MEDAL?"

Planes on a treadmill can take off.

Quote from Fire_Kame
Yes, because transporting the mass of a human at light speed is so much easier than transporting radio waves...

Not light speed, just really fast. Due to relativistic effects, they'd experience much less time than those on Earth.

None.

Nov 21 2009, 9:46 am Syphon Post #26

Quote from Kow
Quote from Syphon
Quote from CecilSunkure
Quote from Syphon
Alpha Centauri is about 4 light years away. While true that it'd probably take a ship moving 99% c 5 years to get there, only about 6 months would pass onboard. A ship with a single generation can go a lot further than you'd think. It'd feel like under a year to get to Sirius, 15 months for Tau Ceti, etc.
Assuming you can reach near speed of light speeds.

I'm still thinking the only way to get to Alpha Centauri and back within a human liftetime would be via wormholes, because there isn't really a plausible method that is realistic which will get someone there and back, yet, without wormholes.

Did you honestly just say that wormholes were more plausible than simply going really, really fast?

He's saying that its more plausible in the span of each party's lifetime. Time dilation is a bitch approaching the speed of light.

8 years isn't many lifetimes unless you're a gerbil.

None.

Nov 21 2009, 10:01 pm FatalException Post #27

Quote from Syphon
Quote from MadZombie

I think you missed the point. Yes, planes on treadmills can take off, but they still move forward; hence, a treadmill wouldn't be any more useful than a runway.

None.

Nov 21 2009, 10:23 pm Fire_Kame Post #28

wth is starcraft

There is one last important thing I would like to say about ridiculously fast travel. And you will all probably troll me for it, but you need to open your minds up.

You're all assuming that relativity is more than a theory.

Nov 22 2009, 2:31 am rayNimagi Post #29

Quote from name:Wikipedia
Albert Einstein originally predicted this effect in his theory of relativity and it has since been confirmed by tests of general relativity.

Win by luck, lose by skill.

Nov 22 2009, 7:15 am Syphon Post #30

Quote from FatalException
Quote from Syphon
Quote from MadZombie

I think you missed the point. Yes, planes on treadmills can take off, but they still move forward; hence, a treadmill wouldn't be any more useful than a runway.

Won't move forward until they are going fast enough to take off though, the really limiting factor here is, it's cheaper to build a tarmac runway than the world's largest treadmill.

Quote from Fire_Kame
There is one last important thing I would like to say about ridiculously fast travel. And you will all probably troll me for it, but you need to open your minds up.

It's been tested and proven.

None.

Nov 22 2009, 5:56 pm Doodle77 Post #31

Quote from Syphon
Quote from Syphon

Won't move forward until they are going fast enough to take off though
How can they be moving fast enough without moving forward? lol

None.

Nov 22 2009, 9:36 pm ShredderIV Post #32

even if you could collect the water, you could only travel so far from any source of light, since eventually the energy from the sun and such will not be enough to convert the water to hydrogen and oxygen.

None.

Nov 23 2009, 1:10 am FatalException Post #33

Quote from Syphon
Quote from Syphon
Quote from MadZombie

Won't move forward until they are going fast enough to take off though, the really limiting factor here is, it's cheaper to build a tarmac runway than the world's largest treadmill.
Actually, having a treadmill under a plane won't do anything. The wheels only roll because they're attached to the plane, which is propelling itself with its engine(s), and being pressed on the ground at the same time. If the ground moves backward relative to the plane, then the wheels will just turn that much faster; it has no effect on how fast the plane moves. The wheels are free-spinning. If you don't believe me, Mythbusters did it, too.

None.

Nov 23 2009, 4:11 am Doodle77 Post #34

Actually, having a treadmill under a plane won't do anything. The wheels only roll because they're attached to the plane, which is propelling itself with its engine(s), and being pressed on the ground at the same time. If the ground moves backward relative to the plane, then the wheels will just turn that much faster; it has no effect on how fast the plane moves. The wheels are free-spinning. If you don't believe me, Mythbusters did it, too.
There is some friction between the plane and the treadmill, so it will require a little bit more force than usual from the engines to get the plane off the ground, but not a significant amount.

None.

Nov 23 2009, 4:28 am scwizard Post #35

Doodle is right, for the duration the wheels are on the ground, because the wheels would be moving slightly faster if the plane was on a treadmill, it would take slightly more energy to launch the plane.

It's not because of the friction between the plane and the treadmill, it's because of friction between the wheels and their axises though.

Quote from Fire_Kame

If you know of a theory aside from general relativity that explains the difference in time keeping between an atomic clock in orbit around the earth (in the international space station) and an atomic clock at sea level, I'd love to hear it. It should be pointed out that general relativity not only predicted that there would be a difference, but accurately predicted the degree of that difference. It did so decades before we conducted this experiment.

It's not at all constructive to doubt a theory that people believe in without either:
1. Proposing an alternate theory explaining the phenomena that the theory in question explains.
2. Bringing up evidence that contradicts the theory in question.

Please make an effort to make your posts at least some what constructive/amusing/humorous etc.
On top of being not being constructive, your post also attacked the good people of SEN by implying that we have closed minds. The next time you attack anyone without evidence, I'm reporting you.

None.

Nov 24 2009, 12:26 am FatalException Post #36

Way to be sticklers about my phrasing. This is Null, I was using hyperbole.
Quote from scwizard
Please make an effort to make your posts at least some what constructive/amusing/humorous etc.
On top of being not being constructive, your post also attacked the good people of SEN by implying that we have closed minds. The next time you attack anyone without evidence, I'm reporting you.
Why so serious? It's just Kame.

None.

Options
  Back to forum