Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Theory and Ideas > Topic: Player X has left the game...
Player X has left the game...
Aug 24 2009, 8:54 pm
By: Wormer
Pages: < 1 2 3 >

Aug 25 2009, 7:58 pm theleo_ua Post #21

Another interesting question is next: I think, in most of maps, players, that not observers, has at least 1 unit per player. So we can detect "alt q q" for player X just with a trigger "player X bring 0 units to anywhere". And we dont need to detect, that observer player left the game (or need?:) ).

Can anyone show me map where active player still in game without any unit?

You can ask "and what about RPG" or "TMA" maps where active units can die and need to respawn (and may respawn with another units)?

Answer is next: is most cases (imho) if player, that still in game, has 0 any unit - he has at least 1 DC of "active unit" (for example defiler in Tuxlar's Rush).

So triggers can be:

Players: X
Conditions:
Always
Actions:
Set 0 Death of "Active Units DC Check" for current player

Conditions:
Player X has 0 death of "Active Unit 1"
Player X has 0 death of "Active Unit 2"
Player X has 0 death of "Active Unit N"
Actions:
Set 1 Death of "Active Units DC Check" for current player

Conditions:
Player X bring 0 units to anywhere
Player X has 0 death of "Active Units DC Check"
Actions:
Set 1 Death of "P1 LEFT THE GAME" for All players

But I still think that Wormer's triggers is best for this.

None.

Aug 25 2009, 9:11 pm killer_sss Post #22

Quote from Wormer
Quote from Heinermann
But I don't understand where this could possibly be used.
Players don't run their triggers if they are no longer in the game.
A trigger for player 2 doesn't run if player 2 isn't in the game.

You don't need any extra triggers or units to detect if a player isn't there.
One might want to clean up some of player's death counters or to play a special effect (take an AG for example, the player's Gear might explode) after the player has left the game, or for example take a Humans vs CPU melee-kind of maps. One might want to make the computer talk to humans when someone leaves.

can't we use what heinermann said somehow to make a simpler version? I mean if a trigger isn't going to run if a player isn't in the game can't we use that to detect that this trigger isn't running? And if the player never joined the game to begin with we should be able to detect that too to keep msgs from occuring if the player was never in the game.

am i wrong? Just a thought but i'm no trigger expert by any means.

None.

Aug 25 2009, 9:23 pm theleo_ua Post #23

Quote from killer_sss
Quote from Wormer
Quote from Heinermann

One might want to clean up some of player's death counters or to play a special effect (take an AG for example, the player's Gear might explode) after the player has left the game, or for example take a Humans vs CPU melee-kind of maps. One might want to make the computer talk to humans when someone leaves.

can't we use what heinermann said somehow to make a simpler version? I mean if a trigger isn't going to run if a player isn't in the game can't we use that to detect that this trigger isn't running? And if the player never joined the game to begin with we should be able to detect that too to keep msgs from occuring if the player was never in the game.

I think you need to show us the example, and we will say, in what situation this will cause error.

None.

Aug 25 2009, 10:17 pm Jack Post #24

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Quote from Heinermann
Triggers don't run if a player has left the game (if the player owns the trigger).
This method is unnecessary.

Additionally, this isn't a macro triggers forum. It's for real triggers.

Thats how my method works. If the Dc is no longer going over 0, the player isn't running any triggers, therefore he has left.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Aug 25 2009, 11:54 pm dumbducky Post #25

I think I have an easier method. I don't know any trigger syntax, so I wrote it in pseudo-code. Here:

For Player 1
Always
Set switch Player1 is here to on

For All players
P12 commands atleast one unit
Player 1 commands exactly zero units
Switch Player1 is here is on
Display Text Player 1 is dead
Set switch Player 1 is here to off\

If a player is there at the start of the game, the switch comes on. As long as he owns one unit when the game ends, the second trigger runs. It's not very complicated, it can be set up in 4-16 triggers and 2-8 switches or death counts. Is there any reason this won't work?

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 26 2009, 12:00 am by dumbducky.

tits

Aug 26 2009, 12:16 am Jack Post #26

If you are an observer you might not have any units. The idea was a method that doesn't require units.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Aug 26 2009, 4:29 am The Starport Post #27

Quote from Heinermann
Ugh. No.

None.

Aug 26 2009, 12:51 pm Heinermann Post #28

SDE, BWAPI owner, hacker.

I think that response should have been directed to:
Quote from UnholyUrine
Also, I'll be busy jacking off to watching Tuxlar's videos :D

Aug 26 2009, 3:36 pm rockz Post #29

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Quote from dumbducky
I think I have an easier method. I don't know any trigger syntax, so I wrote it in pseudo-code. Here:

For Player 1
Always
Set switch Player1 is here to on

For All players
P12 commands atleast one unit
Player 1 commands exactly zero units
Switch Player1 is here is on
Display Text Player 1 is dead
Set switch Player 1 is here to off\

If a player is there at the start of the game, the switch comes on. As long as he owns one unit when the game ends, the second trigger runs. It's not very complicated, it can be set up in 4-16 triggers and 2-8 switches or death counts. Is there any reason this won't work?
Not that I can tell, but my method beats you in 3-9 triggers and doesn't use units.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Aug 26 2009, 7:30 pm Jack Post #30

You can do it with two triggers plus a trigger for each player.

Red classic.

Aug 26 2009, 8:08 pm dumbducky Post #31

Quote from name:zany_001
If you are an observer you might not have any units. The idea was a method that doesn't require units.
If you're an observer you don't have a color, so Jimbo[xXx] is sufficient. The only maps with observers are melee maps, but nobody needs to know that an observer left.

tits

Aug 26 2009, 8:14 pm Jack Post #32

Quote from dumbducky
If you're an observer you don't have a color, so Jimbo[xXx] is sufficient. The only maps with observers are melee maps, but nobody needs to know that an observer left.
True. This is mostly one of those things for when you are location starved and space starved.

Red classic.

Aug 27 2009, 3:38 am killer_sss Post #33

Quote from theleo_ua
Quote from killer_sss
Quote from Wormer
Quote from Heinermann

I think you need to show us the example, and we will say, in what situation this will cause error.

Quote from Heinermann
Triggers don't run if a player has left the game (if the player owns the trigger).
This method is unnecessary.

Thats how my method works. If the Dc is no longer going over 0, the player isn't running any triggers, therefore he has left.
this is what i was refering to something like this. set a value lower than possible to start the game. If the player exists increase the value. if the player no longer exists the trigger quits running and returns to the value set to display the "player x has left the game phrase". Then it runs when people leave and not when people never enter the game. Didn't have much time to think about/test out what i was thinking of since i'm not a pro triggerer by any means

None.

Aug 27 2009, 3:50 am Jack Post #34

Heres some pseudn code:

Assuming 6 players:

Players1-6
Always
Add one death to Cave for Current Player
Preserve

All players
PX has suffered at most 0 deaths of Cave.
Display text for current player:That was PX leaving, praise RCDF.

Trigger 8
P1-6
Deaths of cave is at least 1
Set deaths of cave to 0.
Preserve.

Triggers 2-7 must be after the first trigger, replace PX with the player number, and copy the trigger 5 times.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 27 2009, 4:49 am by zany_001.

Red classic.

Aug 27 2009, 4:30 am rockz Post #35

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

you probably don't want a preserve on the replicated trigger.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Aug 27 2009, 4:48 am Jack Post #36

True. Fix'd. I was gonna use Current player for a 3 trigger system, but then you don't know exactly which player it was.

Red classic.

Aug 27 2009, 1:30 pm Heinermann Post #37

SDE, BWAPI owner, hacker.

True. Fix'd. I was gonna use Current player for a 3 trigger system, but then you don't know exactly which player it was.
No, it would work the same way. Only 2+ triggers are needed.

PLAYERS:
Force 1
CONDITIONS:
Always.
ACTIONS:
Modify death counts for "Current Player": "Set to" "1" for "Cantina".
Preserve Trigger.

PLAYERS:
Force 1
CONDITIONS:
"Player 1" has suffered "at most" "0" deaths of "Cantina".
ACTIONS:
Display for current player: "Oh shit son, player 1 has ditched you!".

PLAYERS:
Force 1
CONDITIONS:
Always.
ACTIONS:
Modify death counts for "Player 1": "Set to" "0" for "Cantina".
Modify death counts for "Player 2": "Set to" "0" for "Cantina".
Modify death counts for "Player 3": "Set to" "0" for "Cantina".
Modify death counts for "Player 4": "Set to" "0" for "Cantina".
Modify death counts for "Player 5": "Set to" "0" for "Cantina".
Modify death counts for "Player 6": "Set to" "0" for "Cantina".
Modify death counts for "Player 7": "Set to" "0" for "Cantina".
Modify death counts for "Player 8": "Set to" "0" for "Cantina".
Preserve Trigger.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 27 2009, 1:39 pm by Heinermann.

Aug 27 2009, 10:48 pm Jack Post #38

With my 3 trigger system, it would be ONLY 3 triggers, with no extra per player. But you can't detect exactly which player left without more triggers.

Red classic.

Aug 27 2009, 11:46 pm dumbducky Post #39

So what you mean is:
"In my system, it would be only 3 triggers, with none player specific. But it doesn't fulfill the purpose it was designed for."

So what's the point of your 3 trigger system?

tits

Aug 28 2009, 12:06 am Jack Post #40

I was explaining why I left my errenous Preserve in.

Red classic.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 >
  Back to forum