Pc vs Mac
This topic is locked. You can no longer write replies here.
Jul 25 2009, 1:44 am
By: Fallen
Pages: < 1 « 3 4 5

Aug 21 2009, 11:21 pm dumbducky Post #81

They never completely rebuild NT, it's always slight modifications, "Windows simply places a shell around the base of the previous OS and fancies it up, adding a few more things, and only minimally changing the older code" I didn't say Windows places a shell around the previous OS, I said around the base of the previous OS, in this case, NT, they haven't redone NT much, they just upgrade it.
Nope. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minwin. Microsoft still does major work on NT.

A constantly updated program gets bulkier and slower than one that is started with the complete goal in mind. I've seen this from programming myself, I'll begin writing a program, with some plans, and half way through realize a few more additions that could improve it, I then have to do sloppy insertions of them into my code, and eventually it gets very unorganized, and not as efficient as possible.
Starting over, knowing now what you want to do completely, you can write it properly to begin with, taking up less code, and being much more efficient. Ask Heimdal, I'm sure that with now starting StarForge: Ultimate from scratch, he can already see how much of a better editor it is going to be, because he can start with the initial goal in mind, build a base good enough to hold the entire tower of the program.
Linux has been constantly updated since its creation. It now receives 5 patches an hour. It must be tremendously bloated an insecure, right? 17 years of just adding on to it.
Windows, and all OSes, are not written that way. That's how Longhorn began development, and that's why it got rebooted.

tits

Aug 22 2009, 3:39 am Falkoner Post #82

Quote from Wikipedia
The term was first used in 2003 to describe approximately 95% of the common components of the operating system, but has over time come to refer to a significantly smaller portion thereof

Which of course, was XP, however with Vista:

MinWin was described at the time as consisting of approximately 95% of the total Longhorn code base, with the additions for each edition of Longhorn layered on top of that

Layered on top of it, and while Windows 7 apparently did not truly have MinWin, it did however build on previous bases:
Sinofsky described the Windows 7 kernel as a further evolution of the Windows Server 2008 kernel, itself an evolution of the Windows Vista kernel

And of course, MinWin most likely already somewhat contained resources from earlier versions of Windows.

Linux has been constantly updated since its creation. It now receives 5 patches an hour. It must be tremendously bloated an insecure, right? 17 years of just adding on to it.
Windows, and all OSes, are not written that way. That's how Longhorn began development, and that's why it got rebooted.

Linux is a much more simple base, which is started from fresh with each OS, they almost never take their previous OS and just add to it's code, they start fresh with the basic Linux base.

None.

Aug 22 2009, 5:00 am ShadowFlare Post #83

Windows Vista was probably the largest rewrite of the NT code base so far. Windows Server 2008 was made from the same code base as Vista SP1 (hence why they called the first version Windows Server 2008 SP1). Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 are, at their core, just updated versions of Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008, coming from the same code base.

By the way, for most people Windows 2000 or XP was probably the first time they had really used an NT-based version of Windows. So for them it did seem like something new.

None.

Aug 22 2009, 5:05 am Vrael Post #84

Has this topic served its purpose yet? I don't think it was intended as a bash war against either OSX or Windows.

None.

Aug 22 2009, 5:09 am ShadowFlare Post #85

There are basically two of them going on right now. :P

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 3 4 5
  Back to forum