Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: Riddle Game!
Riddle Game!
Jun 18 2009, 7:52 pm
By: Bar Refaeli
Pages: < 1 « 15 16 17

Jul 31 2009, 9:31 pm NudeRaider Post #321

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from Vrael
Quote from Hug A Zergling
Quote from Vi3t-X
Zero Gravity.
That's what I meant by "He's in space".
Guns work in space... they fire because of expanding gases which has nothing to do with gravity. Not only that, but if he walks into a room (keyword: walks) he's not in a zero-gravity environment.
The gunpowder in the bullet still needs oxygen to explode. That wouldn't work in space or any other vacuum. But yes, gravity has no influence on it.

Jul 31 2009, 11:29 pm Syphon Post #322

It was a very small, very low caliber gun.

None.

Aug 1 2009, 12:43 am ShredderIV Post #323

HE''S SHOOTING AT A MIRROR!

Therefore, he hits his image square between the eyes, but doesnt die, and there's no blood... so there...

None.

Aug 1 2009, 3:25 pm poison_us Post #324

Back* from the grave

Quote from ShredderIV
the man was shooting at a mirror?

Yup, sorry I took so long to look at it.

Aug 1 2009, 5:11 pm Dapperdan Post #325

Quote from poison_us
Quote from ShredderIV
the man was shooting at a mirror?

Yup, sorry I took so long to look at it.

What a stupid riddle.

None.

Aug 1 2009, 8:37 pm Syphon Post #326

Since I skipped a bunch of my turns, you all get this now.

Three gods A, B, and C are called, in some order, True, False, and Random. True always speaks truly, False always speaks falsely, but whether Random speaks truly or falsely is a completely random matter. (It is random whether he speaks truely or falsely, not what his answer is.)

Your task is to determine the identities of A, B, and C by asking three yes-no questions; each question must be put to exactly one god. The gods understand English, but will answer all questions in their own language, in which the words for yes and no are ‘da’ and ‘ja’, in some order. You do not know which word means which.

None.

Aug 1 2009, 9:17 pm NudeRaider Post #327

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

possible spoiler

However I'm not sure how to determine which word means yes or no.

Syphon, what happens if I ask the random god if he tells the truth?

EDIT:
spoiler

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Aug 1 2009, 9:41 pm by NudeRaider.

Aug 2 2009, 3:42 am ShredderIV Post #328

ok... this is basically impossible if you dont know whether they answer yes or no, and the addition of a random god makes the yes or no thing worthless, since they can say yes or no to some answers, because he's random... but i'll give it a shot...

nvm, i got it...

first, sorry nude, but that won't work...
first you ask god A, if i asked you if you were the random god, would you say ja?
if god a says ja, then he is the random god.
you would then ask god B, if i asked you if you were the god that told the truth, would you say ja?
if he says ja, then he is truth and C is false.
if he says da, then he is false and C is truth

If A initially says da, then you know A isnt the random god
you would then ask god A again, if i asked you if you told the truth, would you say ja?
If he says ja then he is the truth god, if he says da, then he is the false god
Then, you ask god A, if i asked you if B was random would you say ja?
if A was truth, then if he says ja, B is random and C is false, and if he says da, then B is false and C is random.
If A was false, then if he says ja, B is truth and C is randoms, and if he says da, then B is random and C is truth...

Basically it works on this principle... you also never know which word is yes and which is no...

if you lie and i ask you, if i asked you if you lie, would you say yes?
then you would say yes, since you would lie about saying no...

But if you told the truth and i asked you the same thing, you would say no, since you would tell the truth about not lying...
get it? it took me forever to figure it out dude... toughy right there.

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Aug 2 2009, 4:14 am by ShredderIV.

None.

Aug 2 2009, 12:08 pm NudeRaider Post #329

Sorry Shredder, either I missed something crucial or you overlooked the problem that you don't know which answer means yes or no.

first you ask god A, if i asked you if you were the random god, would you say ja?
if god a says ja, then he is the random god.
I'm already stumbling over the first question.
Why would he always answer with ja? Ja can be yes OR no. And his answer is RANDOM.
That's how I see it:
If God A is Random: Answer is Random.
if God A is Truth: Answer is No (which can be da or ja)
if God A is False: Answer is Yes (which can be da or ja)

That's why you probably need to waste a question on learning their language (figuring if ja means yes or no).

However I'm no sure anymore if you can afford to waste that question. I followed this path and it led to nowhere for me... Probably you have to answer 3 questions that are linked somehow and depending on the result you can figure their language.

Aug 2 2009, 2:33 pm MasterJohnny Post #330

Quote from Syphon
Since I skipped a bunch of my turns, you all get this now.

Three gods A, B, and C are called, in some order, True, False, and Random. True always speaks truly, False always speaks falsely, but whether Random speaks truly or falsely is a completely random matter. (It is random whether he speaks truely or falsely, not what his answer is.)

Your task is to determine the identities of A, B, and C by asking three yes-no questions; each question must be put to exactly one god. The gods understand English, but will answer all questions in their own language, in which the words for yes and no are ‘da’ and ‘ja’, in some order. You do not know which word means which.

Isn't this the "Hardest logic puzzle ever" ? So I win?

I am a Mathematician

Aug 2 2009, 9:32 pm Ahli Post #331

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

Quote from NudeRaider
No because:
Quote from Syphon
but whether Random speaks truly or falsely is a completely random matter. (It is random whether he speaks truely or falsely, not what his answer is.)
First I thought the answer would be random, too. But the random god is just a copy of one of that gods.

Aug 3 2009, 3:35 am Hug A Zergling Post #332

Answer: Become Atheist and deal with no Gods.
Win.

None.

Aug 3 2009, 5:22 am ShredderIV Post #333

I'm already stumbling over the first question.
Why would he always answer with ja? Ja can be yes OR no. And his answer is RANDOM.
That's how I see it:
if God A is Truth: Answer is No (which can be da or ja)
if God A is False: Answer is Yes (which can be da or ja)

yes, if you ask him what he would answer, here is how it works...
if ja is yes, then if you asked him if he was the random god, he would say yes=ja... so his answer would be ja.
if ja is no, then if you asked him if he was the random god, would he say ja=no, then he would say ja if he WAS the random god...

but i found the error in my logic...

the random god may tell the truth, but might also lie... wait, does the random god speak truly/falsely for the entirety of the questions, or is each answer randomly true or false? if its the second one, then its basically impossible dude...

nvm, figured it out, but its still complicated...

1. first, you ask god B," if i asked you, is A random, would you say ja?" if god B answers ja, then we know either him or god A is random, since he might be random and thus giving us a false yes, or A might truly be random, either way, we know C isn't random... If god B answers da, then we know either B is telling the truth and A isnt random, or god Bis random, an thus A isnt...

if ja is yes, then if i ask god B if he would say ja to A being random,, A is in fact random, And B is false, then he will say ja, because he himself would say no, so he lies and says yes... it's a complicated process, but basically lets you ask a question and get a truthful answer from both the liar and the truth teller...

if ja is no, then if i ask god B if he would say ja to A being random,, A is in fact random, And B is false, then he will say ja, which is no, because he would say no, and thus lies about it...

2. Then, Either you know A isnt random, or you know C isnt random... so then, since you cant get a false answer from either a false or a true, so you ask C/A, "if i asked you is B random, would you say ja?" if they say ja, then B is random... If they say da, then you know the other one left is random, depending on who you figured to not be random in the beginning...

3. Then, you ask C/A, "If i asked you is (insert respective non-random from step 2 in here) the truth teller, would you say ja?" if he says ja, then the other one is truth and he is false, if he says da, then he is truth and the other one is false...

this is really complicated to understand, really... just understand that this is how it's done... My first solution was actually a little off, but this one is spot on.

and about the yes/ no problem, you have to use correct wording in order for it to work correctly, so the way the words work with the yes'/no's will always come out to the same thing that they already are and thus give you a truth no matter if you're talking to truth or false... its the same as that travellers riddle, with the liar town and the truth town and such...

o, and
First I thought the answer would be random, too. But the random god is just a copy of one of that gods.
no, he's not a copy, if you ask him 3 questions, he might tell the truth for one and lie for two, or tell all lies, ect. but it really doesnt matter in the riddle, as long as you find out who ISNT random, you can figure out who is, and him telling the truth/ lying doesnt affect the outcome at all.

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Aug 3 2009, 5:46 am by ShredderIV.

None.

Aug 4 2009, 4:20 am poison_us Post #334

Back* from the grave

I'm not even gonna pretend I understand that.

Aug 4 2009, 4:08 pm NudeRaider Post #335

Wow, I must be speaking very confusing...

Quote from Ahli
Quote from NudeRaider
No because:
Quote from Syphon
but whether Random speaks truly or falsely is a completely random matter. (It is random whether he speaks truely or falsely, not what his answer is.)
First I thought the answer would be random, too.

I *know*! But since you don't know if he's lying to you or speaking the truh his answer *is* random to *you* until you find out if he lied or not...

Quote from Ahli
But the random god is just a copy of one of that gods.
No he's not. He will still be referred to as the random god, however his type of answer (aka. lie or thruth) will be a copy of one of the other gods.

Quote from ShredderIV
yes, if you ask him what he would answer, here is how it works...
if ja is yes, then if you asked him if he was the random god, he would say yes=ja... so his answer would be ja.
if ja is no, then if you asked him if he was the random god, would he say ja=no, then he would say ja if he WAS the random god...

but i found the error in my logic...

the random god may tell the truth, but might also lie...
There, thats's what I meant. See my reply to Ahlis post.

Quote from ShredderIV
wait, does the random god speak truly/falsely for the entirety of the questions, or is each answer randomly true or false? if its the second one, then its basically impossible dude...
You only get to ask him 1 question. It's random if he lies or not. Gods answering about him lying or not will refer to the state while you asked/will ask him.

Give me a moment to understand your solution...

Aug 4 2009, 5:23 pm NudeRaider Post #336

Okay Shredder, interesting approach, you might be on to something, but I still think you're missing something.
I created tables that show every possible combination when you ask the gods your question:

Code
I used the 2-step analysis to create the table because its easy to confuse oneself when trying to answer Q2 right away.
First step: Q1 = Answer to "Is God A = Random?"
Second step: Q2 = Answer to "Would you say 'ja' if I asked you if God A = Random?"
R = Random, T = Truthful, L = Liar

Case a) ja = yes

God   | R=Lie/R=Truth
A B C | Q1     Q2
---------------------
R T L | ja     ja
R L T | ja     da    *
T R L | ja/da  ja/da
T L R | ja     da
L R T | ja/da  ja/da
L T R | da     da

Case b) ja = no

God   | R=Lie/R=Truth
A B C | Q1     Q2
---------------------
R T L | da     da    *
R L T | ja     ja
T R L | da/ja  da/da
T L R | da     da
L R T | da/ja  da/da
L T R | ja     da

This shows that your first conclusion
if god B answers ja, then we know either him or god A is random, since he might be random and thus giving us a false yes, or A might truly be random, either way, we know C isn't random...
is correct.

However the 2nd conclusion
If god B answers da, then we know either B is telling the truth and A isnt random, or god Bis random, an thus A isnt...
seems to be incorrect. Check the lines marked with an asterisk (*)

I didn't check the rest of your logic.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 15 16 17
  Back to forum