Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: Seeing in the "dark"
Seeing in the "dark"
Jun 12 2009, 6:19 pm
By: scwizard  

Jun 13 2009, 8:52 pm ClansAreForGays Post #21

Quote from JaFF
Remember that creating a mobile grid over your hero would cause lag also
Really? I thought air units being repeatedly centered over a unit doesn't cause any slowing down of the unit. Do you just mean like actual lag to the game from all the moving of units every cycle.

Jun 13 2009, 9:59 pm rockz Post #22

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

any unit being created or moved onto a point which a unit's center is occupying has that unit pause for a frame, essentially reducing speed by 50%. Ground units created on ground units are displaced, as are air units created on air units. Mobile grids generally create air units over a ground unit, with the center one sharing the same center point as another one.

The only good way to stop this is to create another unit (say zergling), and use that unit to center the location and grid on. The problem is when you run into an obstacle.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Jun 13 2009, 10:06 pm scwizard Post #23

Quote from name:Zachary Taylor
Because you can see the zergling. Through a little bit of effort, you can fix that.
You can't see the zergling, it's created and removed in the same tick. Just like how you can't see a mobile grid.

I don't see what's wrong with this though:
Code
Trigger("Player 2"){
Conditions:
    Bring("Player 1", "Protoss Zealot", "1x1 location", Exactly, 0);

Actions:
    Move Unit("Player 2", "Vulture Spider Mine", 1, "Anywhere", "1x1 location");
    Move Location("Player 1", "Protoss Zealot", "Anywhere", "1x1 location");
    Preserve Trigger();
}

The effect is that the zealot is dragging the "lantern" behind itself.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Jun 13 2009, 10:57 pm by scwizard.

None.

Jun 14 2009, 3:57 am rockz Post #24

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

You obviously didn't play that map.

What's wrong with that is that it will slow you down every 11 pixels going horizontally, 13 pixels up, and 5 pixels down.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Jun 14 2009, 4:54 am scwizard Post #25

Quote from name:Zachary Taylor
You obviously didn't play that map.

What's wrong with that is that it will slow you down every 11 pixels going horizontally, 13 pixels up, and 5 pixels down.
No it doesn't, because the spider mine is being moved to the location that the zealot no longer occupies.

I tested it, if you move the spider mine before you move the location then it doesn't slow down.

None.

Jun 14 2009, 5:36 am rockz Post #26

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Ah. Neat idea. Supe that up and use a 23x12 inverted location rather than a 1x1.

Jun 14 2009, 9:16 pm Pyro682 Post #27

Fuck it, just cover the map in map revealers.
hahahaha

None.

Options
  Back to forum