Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Theory and Ideas > Topic: Advanced vHP - Damage Differentiation
Advanced vHP - Damage Differentiation
Jun 3 2009, 4:23 am
By: Madroc  

Jun 4 2009, 7:35 pm killer_sss Post #21

Quote from Kaias
Quote from killer_sss
how is it clumsy? you can just keep track of it with any kind of counter. everytime you move a scarab to do dmg you can set a death counter of a certain units and keep track of hp depending on how high the death counter is and adjust accordingly be setting hitpoints to a % just like vitrual hp more or less.
You realize that if you're keeping track of a units virtual health like that there's no need for Direct Damage in the first place? You can just set the health; the primary use of Direct Damage is bypassing the need to keep track of unit health since you can just subtract it; the only reason (that I can think of) that you'd use virtual health and Direct Damage on a unit is if setting percentages isn't accurate enough for the amount of health the unit has. Even then, there's no real reason to have the scale that high.

I don't understand if your not going to keep track of hp how do you control wether or not the creature heals? I would say this has the most application for Rpgs because you would want to track both dmg and healing for whatever the case. If you don't track the dmg you won't know there current hp.

You can have the monsters deal dmg to you but unless they attack you its going to look extremly shitty. Which is why i think you need to have a unit burrowed under which they attack regardless of wether or not it actually does any dmg. If They bring it in range you can just deal direct dmg how often you want it to be dealt.

None.

Jun 4 2009, 9:43 pm Kaias Post #22

Quote from killer_sss
Quote from Kaias
Quote from killer_sss
how is it clumsy? you can just keep track of it with any kind of counter. everytime you move a scarab to do dmg you can set a death counter of a certain units and keep track of hp depending on how high the death counter is and adjust accordingly be setting hitpoints to a % just like vitrual hp more or less.
You realize that if you're keeping track of a units virtual health like that there's no need for Direct Damage in the first place? You can just set the health; the primary use of Direct Damage is bypassing the need to keep track of unit health since you can just subtract it; the only reason (that I can think of) that you'd use virtual health and Direct Damage on a unit is if setting percentages isn't accurate enough for the amount of health the unit has. Even then, there's no real reason to have the scale that high.

I don't understand if your not going to keep track of hp how do you control wether or not the creature heals? I would say this has the most application for Rpgs because you would want to track both dmg and healing for whatever the case. If you don't track the dmg you won't know there current hp.

You can have the monsters deal dmg to you but unless they attack you its going to look extremly shitty. Which is why i think you need to have a unit burrowed under which they attack regardless of wether or not it actually does any dmg. If They bring it in range you can just deal direct dmg how often you want it to be dealt.
That's why its messy, because you either have to set to a certain amount, like 75% or 100%, try something with medics or do this which has its own set of disadvantages.

And if you do that, you don't need direct damage because you can just set it to the right value (because you can keep track of health), and if you don't keep track you can't heal by setting to the appropriately anyway, going directly back to what I said in my last post.

None.

Jun 4 2009, 10:10 pm killer_sss Post #23

yes you don't need direct dmg if you want monsters to just be monsters. If you wan monsters to cast spells though you may need direct dmg dependin on wether or not you wish to make unit spells or pure dmg spells with effects. The medic is fine but depending on it can be 2 slow which is where percents would come in handy.

Also along with this comes the variable life. You may want to have heros upgrade hp which makes certain healing hard to keep track of and you also don't want to dmg a hero instead of heal them.

None.

Jun 4 2009, 10:35 pm Kaias Post #24

Quote from killer_sss
yes you don't need direct dmg if you want monsters to just be monsters. If you wan monsters to cast spells though you may need direct dmg dependin on wether or not you wish to make unit spells or pure dmg spells with effects. The medic is fine but depending on it can be 2 slow which is where percents would come in handy.

Also along with this comes the variable life. You may want to have heros upgrade hp which makes certain healing hard to keep track of and you also don't want to dmg a hero instead of heal them.
You don't seem to get what I was saying. Direct damages only real use is for subtracting health from units so you can use it to give spells to monsters or humans and have them do damage rather than spawning units to attack and do damage (like Temple Siege). You said that healing when using direct damage isn't sloppy because you can just keep track of how many times you've hurt the unit with direct damage and then set to the appropriate amount with the set health % action.

I was saying that doing this would directly remove direct damages benefit, because the only way it'd work is if the only method of damaging was through direct damage, and if you're doing that then you are using vhp and don't need direct damage in the first place, because your spells could just set the percentage to the appropriate amount anyway.

This is why direct damage healing is sloppy; because the only practical use of it is to bypass virtual health, to bypass the need to keep track of health, and if you can't do that then your only method to heal is to "either set to a certain amount, like 75% or 100%, try something with medics or do this which has its own set of disadvantages."

None.

Options
  Back to forum