Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Melee Map Projects > Topic: (2)Bengalands
(2)Bengalands
Oct 7 2007, 12:20 am
By: Excalibur  

Oct 7 2007, 12:20 am Excalibur Post #1

The sword and the faith

DL: Here

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Oct 13 2007, 7:08 pm by Excalibur.

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Oct 7 2007, 1:10 am Protogod Post #2

I like it. My only concern is the middle expos. They seem kinda superfluous to me, in that there is no reasonable way to take them without the game being pretty much over. Both expos look very very difficult to defend, and taking them would just clutter up the middle more, where it seems that space would be a needed commodity.

The middle isnt imbalanced, even if it seems a bit small, however, by placing the expos there it just looks like a waste, and any attempt to take the expos would make the middle crowded as a motherfucker.

None.

Oct 7 2007, 1:20 am Excalibur Post #3

The sword and the faith

Right, but without them, it'd be lacking expos. =/

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Oct 7 2007, 1:42 am TitanWing Post #4

Mains are HUGE!

None.

Oct 7 2007, 1:58 am Protogod Post #5

Quote from Excalibur
Right, but without them, it'd be lacking expos.

Quote from TitanWing
Mains are HUGE!

The solution is staring you in the face. Rework the mains and naturals (which are also a tad on the big side) into a main, natural, and second natural.

That'd be +1 expo for each player, and the expo would actually get used.

None.

Oct 7 2007, 2:11 am Excalibur Post #6

The sword and the faith

Updated.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Oct 7 2007, 7:06 am ATG Post #7

I like it.Much better than before (even if I didn't see it before :P).It is very balanced in my honest opinion.Continue making it more perfect unless you believe it is as good as needed. :D

None.

Oct 7 2007, 7:35 am Paravin. Post #8

It looks.. bright, lol. Nice map.

None.

Oct 7 2007, 2:31 pm Excalibur Post #9

The sword and the faith

Glow + Sharpen = Gosu Picz. :P

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Oct 7 2007, 2:50 pm BeDazed Post #10

I don't really like your overly decorated maps.

None.

Oct 7 2007, 4:43 pm Chef Post #11

Could you please stop fucking with the jpegs of your maps lol? It just makes it fuzzy and harder to look at.

None.

Oct 7 2007, 6:35 pm Excalibur Post #12

The sword and the faith

I could make it higher quality or darker if i wished. I find that its current state is just fine. Its not my fault you must have your brightness to +OVER NINE THOUSAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont give a shit about comments on my preference of doodad usage or such, i like balance comments. Be useful or be silent.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Oct 7 2007, 6:47 pm Chef Post #13

I think he means that the excessive doodads end up hindering armies, which is a balance issue against Protoss (because they have big, stupid units called Dragoons that get stuck on everything).

My brightness settings are darker than average. Brightness isn't especially the problem with this image (though it is annoying). It's that it's blurry, so it's hard to comment on specific parts of the map. Think of it this way: You want someone to comment on the balance of your map, not how you made the jpeg. By screwing with the jpeg, you distract anyone who looks at it's focus away from the balance issues of the map, and toward how annoying and wierd the jpeg is. Whether it's right or wrong for us to be distracted by jpeg is neither here nor there. The fact is we are, and you're only hurting yourself by continuing to do it. I used to name my maps dirty words backwards, but eventually people figured it out, and soon all they wanted to talk about was the map name, and not the map. So I stopped doing that. Sometimes you just gotta forget about your emotions, and notions of what should and shouldn't be, and just make +EV decisions based on what is.

None.

Oct 7 2007, 7:07 pm Chef Post #14

Arrows in base mean the decoration is ugly. Avoid straight lines, add some walkable doodads.

X's mark areas where you have too many impassible doodads. The X's in the middle mean you should get rid of those temple walls, and it'll be fine.

Arrow and question mark at 1:30 and 7:30 mean I don't understand the purpose of this neutral building. How do you expect it to change gameplay?

The arrows at the naturals mean you need to move those minerals up a bit, so that Zerg can properly guard is ramp (on a map that already makes it difficult to get a third gas). Once you do that, you'll need to put some impassible ground below the naturals so Zerg can have 4 sunkens in one place, and not have to worry about marines coming around the other side to score free hits.

The arrows at 8 and 2 mean this straight line of jungle terrain looks bad. Make it a little rougher or something.

A note on something you did about 6 times on the map: Don't make squares of dirt. They don't look natural, and they're just ugly imo. Cut them up a bit with a little of another tile, so that they look more random.

Other than that, distances are kinda long. You might want to be a bet more conservative with that in the next map you make.

None.

Oct 8 2007, 4:46 am blacklight28 Post #15

Neutral building so you can't just float a cc in?

None.

Oct 8 2007, 6:04 am TitanWing Post #16

Neutral building just for the hell of it?

I'd remove it, doesn't serve any real purpose.

None.

Oct 8 2007, 5:28 pm BeDazed Post #17

And please, don't make the pictures of your map brighter than normally. It just hurts the fuck out of my eyes.

None.

Oct 8 2007, 9:59 pm Excalibur Post #18

The sword and the faith

Fuck your image complaints.
The neutral is to prevent the quick-take of 3 expos. Ill be putting in a higher HP building to assure this.

Update with many changes coming soon.

Big thanks to Chef here and Nightmarjoo in the BWMN topic.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Oct 8 2007, 10:29 pm Chef Post #19

Why do you need to hurt zerg? Toss and Terran will be fine with taking the mineral only, but Zerg are going to lose out on this deal. If Toss expands, you're effectively taking away the option for Zerg to double expand as a counter (because other than early game, the neutral is just going to be something kinda annoying that you send 5 Zerglings to blow up when you're planning to expo soon).

None.

Oct 8 2007, 10:38 pm Excalibur Post #20

The sword and the faith

Wont be a problem with what im doing, major changes going on.

Edit: Update complete.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Oct 8 2007, 10:45 pm by Excalibur.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Options
  Back to forum