Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: Universe > You
Universe > You
Apr 14 2009, 10:35 pm
By: Polaris
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >

Apr 15 2009, 8:42 am InsolubleFluff Post #21

I'm with CAFG. Everyone make it a point to blurt it in one conversation.

None.

Apr 15 2009, 11:43 am Moose Post #22

We live in a society.

Quote from MasterJohnny
on an offtopic note I dont think "i" can be used in exponent.
Not at your level of math. :P
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler%27s_formula
e^(xi) = cos(x) + i * sin(x)
-e^(pi * i) = -[cos(pi) + i * sin(pi)]
-e^(pi * i) = -[-1 + 0}
-e^(pi * i) = -[-1]
-e^(pi * i) = 1

If you take complex analysis, you'll discover that you can put numbers with i pretty much anywhere, including trig functions, logarithms, integrals, etc.

Apr 15 2009, 12:01 pm InsolubleFluff Post #23

You can even put i in front of Pod functions.

None.

Apr 15 2009, 12:28 pm RHINO_Mk.II Post #24

Quote from MasterJohnny
on an offtopic note I dont think "i" can be used in exponent.
(actually...how is it possible to have i in the exponent!?!?)

Only if you're willing to deal with powerfully complex numbers.

[/groan]

None.

Apr 15 2009, 1:35 pm Centreri Post #25

Relatively ancient and inactive

Not likely, Canis Majoris is barely possible under universal constraints and the Eddington limit. Hypergiants are the largest stars in existence.
Probably not.

There is absolutely a size limit on stars. Someone just has to come in here and figure it out.

Eh. You could be right, but I maintain that somewhere, some hyperintelligent aliens have stuck something weird into some star that makes it grow beyond a hypergiant :omfg:. Well, it would still be classified as a hypergiant, but it'd still be freakin' huge.

Does anyone know approximately what percentage of the universe we see right now? I remember reading something that said that we actually see a great deal (40%?), but I have a feeling that that's a faulty memory.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Apr 15 2009, 1:41 pm by Centreri.

None.

Apr 15 2009, 3:10 pm InsolubleFluff Post #26

Here

None.

Apr 15 2009, 4:10 pm Centreri Post #27

Yay for cleverness.

None.

Apr 15 2009, 4:12 pm Corbo Post #28

ALL PRAISE YOUR SUPREME LORD CORBO

Quote from Centreri
Does anyone know approximately what percentage of the universe we see right now? I remember reading something that said that we actually see a great deal (40%?), but I have a feeling that that's a faulty memory.

Eh.. putting a percentage of what we see would be making the universe finite. Last time I checked the universe is infinite.

fuck you all

Apr 15 2009, 4:13 pm ClansAreForGays Post #29

Quote from name:Shocko
You can even put i in front of Pod functions.
I'm ashamed to say this made me lol

Apr 15 2009, 5:01 pm Centreri Post #30

Quote from Corbo
Eh.. putting a percentage of what we see would be making the universe finite. Last time I checked the universe is infinite.
That's strange. Last time I checked, it was expanding. Wait one damn second....

None.

Apr 15 2009, 5:05 pm InsolubleFluff Post #31

Thus infinite... what's your point?

None.

Apr 15 2009, 5:07 pm Centreri Post #32

You have a very strange definition of 'infinite', Shocko. What, so if a balloon keeps expanding a centimeter in radius a year, at any given time, its size is infinite?

None.

Apr 15 2009, 5:12 pm InsolubleFluff Post #33

infinite and instantaneous are two different things. If the balloon constantly gets bigger over time without permenantly stopping, shrinking or bursting, I would agree that it's infinite.

None.

Apr 15 2009, 5:27 pm Corbo Post #34

ALL PRAISE YOUR SUPREME LORD CORBO

Quote from Centreri
That's strange. Last time I checked, it was expanding. Wait one damn second....

Even that way your argument is wrong.

By the time I post this, your 40% of "what we see" could easily be turned down to 0.04% by the universe's expansion.

fuck you all

Apr 15 2009, 5:57 pm ClansAreForGays Post #35

When scientists say the universe is expanding, it means the mass in it is drifting farther apart from itself. Not that it is infinitely being filled with something.

Apr 15 2009, 6:00 pm Vrael Post #36

Actually shocko, by induction the volume of the balloon will always be finite.
Lets say the radius of the balloon increased by 1 unit each iteration, with the original radius = 1

So for step r = 1, (4/3)*pi*r^3 is the volume, which is finite
for step r+1, (4/3)*pi*(r+1)^3 is also finite, and for each consecutive step it will be finite

This does differ from the universe in a few important ways though. The balloon example is self contained in that it only looks at the system consisting of the balloon and its insides.
The universe, however, doesn't necessarily end at the fringes of the mass, or the outer rim of what came from the big bang. Maybe our big bang was only 1 among billions of big bangs, huge collections of mass so far away that we can't see them yet. Who knows?

None.

Apr 15 2009, 6:17 pm InsolubleFluff Post #37

Perhaps the universe WAS made by god...

... lol jk.

None.

Apr 15 2009, 6:22 pm Centreri Post #38

Quote from Corbo
Even that way your argument is wrong.

By the time I post this, your 40% of "what we see" could easily be turned down to 0.04% by the universe's expansion.
Chances are, that's bullshit. I don't see the universe expanding hundredfold in maybe forty years since that's been measured. Anyway, I made no argument but rather asked a question. I think 40% is wrong, that it's closer to .04% or much less, but I wasn't sure about either.

Quote from name:Shocko
infinite and instantaneous are two different things. If the balloon constantly gets bigger over time without permenantly stopping, shrinking or bursting, I would agree that it's infinite.
What Vrael said is a good argument. Mine is that you don't know what infinite means.

None.

Apr 15 2009, 6:24 pm InsolubleFluff Post #39

Rule of googlism. 30 seconds or gtfo.

Infinite is a measurement of something not finite. For example numerics are infinite because you can always add 1 or more. Alphabet is finite with only 26 letters. Their is infinite combinations of the 26 letters if you can exceed 26 infinite amounts of time with any selection of letters.

Basically... It's infinite if there are no parameters. To my understanding the universe's molecules can expand in any direction without being stopped.

Thus infinite.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Apr 15 2009, 6:35 pm by Shocko.

None.

Apr 15 2009, 6:37 pm Centreri Post #40

So, by your example... Any number of people standing in a line is considered infinite, because you can always add one more?

Get a dictionary. :lol:

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >
  Back to forum