Staredit Network > Forums > > Topic: NEWER Clan Changes
NEWER Clan Changes
This topic is locked. You can no longer write replies here.
Apr 5 2009, 10:47 pm
By: Corbo
Pages: < 1 2 3

Apr 9 2009, 6:51 pm Biophysicist Post #41

In my opinion, a thread would be good enough for that: A thread to share ideas, and debate them, see what's left to be done and what has been already done. If you like that idea, I'd be more than glad to organize the information of the progress of the mod and ideas in the first post of such thread.
Actually, I have found that in all big projects, it's really helpful to have a dedicated forum. (Those weren't modding projects, but w/e.) Maybe an [MM] subforum? Or, if that's impossible, a Latova forum or something.

Anyway. I'm in. Put me down for unit design/concepting. And for crazy workarounds.

None.

Apr 9 2009, 6:57 pm Phobos Post #42

Are you sure about that?

I'm in for whatever I can do.

this is signature

Apr 9 2009, 9:07 pm ForTheSwarm Post #43

Quote from name:TassadarZeratul
Maybe an [MM] subforum?

What forum do you think you're posting in?

None.

Apr 9 2009, 9:10 pm Biophysicist Post #44

I meant a subforum in [MM]'s forum. :hurr:

None.

Apr 9 2009, 9:18 pm Symmetry Post #45

Dungeon Master

I meant a subforum in [MM]'s forum. :hurr:

...why?

:voy: :jaff: :voy: :jaff:

Apr 9 2009, 9:19 pm Biophysicist Post #46

For discussing the clan mod. It would be a lot more useful than a single thread.

None.

Apr 9 2009, 9:20 pm Symmetry Post #47

Dungeon Master

For discussing the clan mod. It would be a lot more useful than a single thread.

...why not just post multiple threads in the ordinary forum?

:voy: :jaff: :voy: :jaff:

Apr 9 2009, 9:37 pm KooKsTeR Post #48

How about the thread I already posted. Under Modding Projects.

Mutual Mod or just new grps

None.

Apr 9 2009, 11:52 pm Corbo Post #49

ALL PRAISE YOUR SUPREME LORD CORBO

A clan project will not happen until the SMC IV is done. Half the clan is busy with the contest, even if they weren't when I posted a topic about a clan project not even 5 said they were in.
Seeing that a clan project will NEVER happen because of people's lack of motivation.

fuck you all

Apr 10 2009, 12:24 am IskatuMesk Post #50

Lord of the Locker Room

I find it funny you guys think that having a bunch of guys who can't finish a mod or adhere to any form of schedule being formed into a team will magically make up for your weaknesses. Well, guess what? It won't.

Big teams don't work that way. You can't just randomly and arbitrarily do whatever. You have to manage your data carefully. Personally I wouldn't allow any more than a single guy who controls the dat and script aspects, and then maybe a guy who deals with grafting, and then the rest for actual asset creation. Why? It quickly turns into a freaking mess.

Look at SoW. They had two relatively experienced modders; Aqotrooper and MidnightGladius. But somehow, even though these guys were supposedly decent and they didn't operate at the same time, there ended up being two entirely different data versions no one even knew about until I rolled in, and both of them were a total mess. The scripts themselves were unoptimized, they were for different versions of the game, almost none of the units used the same slots, ect. ect. Now you're talking about worsening the problem massively. How many people do you intend on actually modding? With no leader? No common ground, no vision to guide you?

You may think having everyone who can mod just suddenly jump into a single big project would be a cool idea, and it is on paper; you combine all of your strengths and maybe you might even get something playable out of it. But it'll quickly turn into a disaster of logistics.

Yeah. I work solo. This is why. I've had plenty of offers from people to help me mod, but even when the going is tough and I'm not sure I'll finish my objectives, I reject them. Even though I have strong logistics control and the ability to lead, I keep everything lean and fast and simple, and this is exactly why. I have managed teams in the past, smaller then what you're suggesting, and it can easily turn into a mess.

If you truly intend to make a clan mod, you're going to need to have a handful of EXTREMELY motivated and highly active individuals who know each other well. A team of strangers in totally different timezones won't work. Period.

But I mean, you can also just throw shit together, but don't expect it to ever get finished or playable.

The most I ever have working on me with mod data was back in 2000-2003, when I had HKS largely working with me. Except we knew each other very, very well, and knew each other's strengths and weaknesses and handled our data management very carefully.

I could always write an article on how we did things to help you out if you really want me to.

Show them your butt, and when you do, slap it so it creates a sound akin to a chorus of screaming spider monkeys flogging a chime with cacti. Only then can you find your destiny at the tip of the shaft.

Apr 10 2009, 12:34 am FlyingHat Post #51

Mmmm, reality has a nice taste.

None.

Apr 10 2009, 3:51 am A_of-s_t Post #52

aka idmontie

I guess:

#1. We must elect a leader.
#2. Bounce ideas to figure out what type of mod, unit ideas, and so on.
#3. Construct a chart of what needs to be done.
#4. All files must be handled by the leader, all specs are handed to the leader so that the leader can manually add them in.
#5. No one is "designated" to one particular area, anyone can state that they will do something specific in the thread, they do it in a reasonable time, and if not, then they are kicked off the specific thing they said they would do.

Personal GitHub
Starcraft GitHub Organization - Feel free to request member status!
TwitchTV

Apr 10 2009, 3:58 am Corbo Post #53

ALL PRAISE YOUR SUPREME LORD CORBO

This is not a "let's discuss a clan mod" topic.

You guys had your chance, focus on the SMC whoever is participating, focus on one project don't be mediocre at mutliple.

fuck you all

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3
  Back to forum