Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Terrain > Topic: My first terrain...
My first terrain...
Sep 29 2007, 8:33 pm
By: R.I.S.K  
Polls
Blockiness...
Blockiness...
Answer Votes Percentage % Voters
So blocky my eyes burn. 3

19%
None.
My eyes only tingle a little. 1

7%
None.
I shed only one tear. 2

13%
None.
I looked away after a few seconds. 5

32%
None.
I blinked a few times. 3

19%
None.
I blinked once. 2

13%
None.
I stared at it in awe. 0

0%
None.
Please login to vote.
Poll has 16 votes. You can vote for at most 1 option(s).

Sep 29 2007, 8:33 pm R.I.S.K Post #1

Uhh, yeah... this is my first terrain ever, im like 99% sure none of it is new, im just getting some feedback... i know the place right of blue's starting location is blocky, so dont include that in the poll... feedback/suggestions in blending is welcome too... EDIT: woah forgot to add picture here it is...

None.

Sep 29 2007, 8:50 pm Sie_Sayoka Post #2

i like the ruin doodads, however you can fix that one blocky part above the pillar.

None.

Sep 29 2007, 11:29 pm Hitok1r1 Post #3

It's not bad at all(if it really is your first piece of terrain you ever made in your whole life). There are some blocky pieces of terrain that can be fixed, but good job. :lol:

None.

Sep 29 2007, 11:36 pm R.I.S.K Post #4

added a ramp that wraps over a tunnel... heres the actual map... ill be just messing around with this tileset on this map...

Attachments:
myterrain.scm
Hits: 8 Size: 23.46kb

None.

Sep 30 2007, 12:20 am Jello-Jigglers Post #5

I'd say thats really good for your first time. We won't talk about my first time lol! no seriously you can't even compare my first to yours mine was so bad. I like the ideas but there are some pretty easy fixes which i'm sure you'll figure out :D Good luck!

None.

Sep 30 2007, 12:26 am Falkoner Post #6

Don't attempt to blend bridge directly to cliff, it won't work, get me a picture that's saved as a .PNG, this one I can see blocks in, but since it's a jpeg I can barely notice them.

None.

Sep 30 2007, 2:32 am Dr. Brown Post #7

Haha well I want to start terrain as well but I haven't really got the stuff I need to do so, so it'll have to wait, but as for your stuff it isn't as perfected as some of the other terrainers staredit has, but it has the complexity others lack. I like that you didn't go for the easiest project and that you didn't just blindly copy other peoples stuff. I hope you keep working on this cause it could look pretty cool in a map someday if it gets deblockified. haha! Good luck and have fun.

None.

Sep 30 2007, 4:42 am R.I.S.K Post #8

wow, thanks brown!

time to study up and find those easy fixes!

how do i save as .PNG, falkoner?

None.

Sep 30 2007, 7:50 am ATG Post #9

With scmdraft 2 you can save the map's picture.It'n next to the "save" icon.

None.

Sep 30 2007, 2:03 pm Falkoner Post #10

Or, when you take your screenshot in paint, you go to the dropdown bar while saving that says 'jpeg' and change it to .PNG, the save icon in SCM Draft 2 saves it as a bmp, but that can be changed into a PNG. The only time you should use the save image function in SCM Draft is if you want a full-map image, or you can't fit something on your screen, such as these boats, to take a screenshot.

None.

Sep 30 2007, 4:18 pm Jello-Jigglers Post #11

Alright, here's a couple thoughts for you that I think helped me when I was starting terrain. And not everything turns out the way you planned. And just because your building a bridge, doesn't mean you need bridge tiles. Just think about that when your making your stuff, cause all of your stuff is way complex and what not right? Well it isn't always going to turn out exactly as you planned if you want it to be blockless.(sometimes this isn't the case but most often that is just how it is) So think about that when you start your stuff :) Keep it going.

None.

Sep 30 2007, 6:14 pm blacklight28 Post #12

Well, at least you know how to post screenshots. And it's mostly only the walls and cliffs that are blocky.

None.

Sep 30 2007, 7:56 pm R.I.S.K Post #13

thanks for the advice jello, ill try to get you a .png image falkoner, lol blacklight... most of it IS walls and cliffs, and attached is some more work... i would just like to point out that everything i attempt is original-not in the way that it hasnt been done before, but in the way that i do not that it has been done before, and i just came up with it our of nowhere. in this new one are a few things that are not 100% done (a horrible, incomplete water-dirt temple) and some things that are like 99% done (4-way x-shaped ramps).

Attachments:
myterrain.scm
Hits: 6 Size: 25.35kb

None.

Oct 1 2007, 12:33 am Jello-Jigglers Post #14

K here is some junk I did trying to replicate that thing you did in your updated map. This is what I could do, and it isn't quit as complact as yours but it gets the job done and it is virtually blockless.(and even if there is a block it is well worth the sprite to fix :lol: )

Compilation:
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee21/Jello-Jigglers/Help%20Files/Compilation.png

Anyways maybe try using existing blends(like the ones i just made) and make your very own compilation. Anyways that's just a suggestion. Then the final step of terrain is adding doodads to fill in the empty spots :D Good luck!

None.

Oct 1 2007, 1:03 am R.I.S.K Post #15

ooooh thats pretty... thanks for the example!

None.

Oct 1 2007, 1:51 am Falkoner Post #16

Me like! Although you kinda overused the ruins tiles with no grass :P

None.

Oct 1 2007, 12:49 pm Jello-Jigglers Post #17

Quote from Falkoner
Me like! Although you kinda overused the ruins tiles with no grass :P
Haha NO WAY! lol :lol: Ruins w/o grass rule. All of the tiles should be that way but o well :)

None.

Oct 2 2007, 5:38 am blacklight28 Post #18

That's pretty sexy Jello.

None.

Oct 3 2007, 12:19 am Jello-Jigglers Post #19

Thanks bl. I was just showing risk some common blends that he can use in his stuff. :)

None.

Options
  Back to forum