Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Theory and Ideas > Topic: Maps with Secrets:
Maps with Secrets:
Jan 26 2009, 11:02 am
By: pneumatic  

Jan 29 2009, 1:18 am Maps Post #21

if you want use Cheat key protection in single player, i post.

None.

Jan 29 2009, 3:50 am Vi3t-X Post #22

Can you technically Desynch people in a single player game?

None.

Jan 29 2009, 4:01 am pneumatic Post #23

Quote from Falkoner
True. I just hesitate to do this because of the 3-minute limit on saving the game, and the fact you can only pause three times per game. This is the type of map that's supposed to be played over a longer period of time, in multiple sittings, with time to think and mull it over in between. You'd get more out of it that way than one long marathon session. So I want to encourage frequent saving. And if you need to, say, answer your phone, or take a leak, or go eat, or go to bed, you want to be able to do that immediately, but in MP, if you've already used all of your pauses, you have to wait three minutes until the next save opportunity, then save your game, then quit (and load it when you're ready again).

A triggered pause simply does not run when you play in Multiplayer, it won't subtract from their pauses.
I wasn't talking about triggered pauses -- I meant pauses initiated by the player through the in-game menu. If they use up their 3 allowed "Pause Game"s, they'll have to save their game, quit, and reload to be able to pause again.

Quote from Maps
if you want use Cheat key protection in single player, i post.
What's that?

None.

Jan 29 2009, 5:19 pm Falkoner Post #24

I wasn't talking about triggered pauses -- I meant pauses initiated by the player through the in-game menu. If they use up their 3 allowed "Pause Game"s, they'll have to save their game, quit, and reload to be able to pause again.

I was talking about triggered pauses, what you said had nothing to do with what I said, but you quoted my post :crazy:

And sorry, when I posted yesterday I was a little out of it, lemme fix a few errors:
There's a few unprotectors out there that can beat any protection, SMC2 has the best protection and the best unprotection, it can unprotect everything, but it needs a password to unprotect things that it protects.

None.

Jan 29 2009, 10:12 pm Heinermann Post #25

SDE, BWAPI owner, hacker.

Just make your map invalid in Single Player.

Can you technically Desynch people in a single player game?
No. There is no network connection between two clients in Single Player.

Jan 30 2009, 10:41 am pneumatic Post #26

I'm just reluctant to prevent single-player mode at all.

The reason for this is that in single-player mode, you can put the game on hold any time you want. In multi-player mode, you can only do this three times per game, after which you must save the game, quit, and reload if you want to put it on hold anymore.

If it were me, I feel like there'd be more pressure because things are a little more time-sensitive, and that's not really the mood I want for this map. I want it to be the kind of thing you can easily take a break from.

I think that the power overwhelming detection with two computer units attacking each other will work. And the cheat issue may not be that big a deal.

BUT I will give more thought to multiplayer-only. It could just make the game a lot more consistent, and the center view behavior in SP might also be a detriment. We'll see.

Quote from NudeRaider
Quote from name:razorsnail
I'm NOT going to rehash the protection debate here. I'm simply going to ask, how often do you, or people you know, open an RPG in an editor and look at the inner workings and the "secrets"? And if/when you do this, does it enhance your interest in the map, or do you lose interest?
I do that when I'm stuck.
Good to know. If you don't mind my asking, why do you get stuck? Is it because the maps aren't triggered properly? Or is it that the puzzles are too obscure and don't give enough hints? What kinds of maps does this happen with?

None.

Options
  Back to forum