Air Speed
Sep 24 2007, 12:34 am
By: sharf  

Sep 24 2007, 12:34 am sharf Post #1

Ok, new air unit question. Need afterburners, now normally I would have a burrowed unit or an ob or something constantly over the unit to slow it down, then remove it when the afterburners are on. However this doesnt work for air. So, need a method of either slowing down a fast aircraft or speeding up a slow one. Also, without changing units i.e. scout changing to hero scout etc.

None.

Sep 24 2007, 12:38 am Cob Post #2

Well, I don't think you can do that. That's above the limits of triggers... unless someone show me that its not true.^^

None.

Sep 24 2007, 12:54 am Money Post #3

Would it have to be able to attack? You could have an observer (without speed) and the air unit following owned by a computer be without afterburners and then removed it and give the air unit to the player.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Sep 24 2007, 1:02 am by moneylover.

None.

Sep 24 2007, 12:57 am Falkoner Post #4

There is no way to just slow down an air unit, you can completely stop them, but not slow them down, the only method that even comes close would clear any commands, so that wouldn't work.

None.

Sep 24 2007, 3:40 pm Ahli Post #5

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

ordering the unit on the position where it is would slow down the unit, but then you have to click all the time

Sep 24 2007, 10:06 pm blacklight28 Post #6

Move it little by little? Make location right infront of it and make it move there, if it was a dropship then it would go slower because of acceleration time.

None.

Sep 24 2007, 10:24 pm TricksOfDeath Post #7

Okay... This is gonna be extreamly long and hard...depending on your trigger control and knowalge (I have made a map of this but I'll let you create it for a knowlage gaining experaince)
How To Create AfterBurner Effect (For Any Unit)
First set up a mobile grid system of 9 zerglings creating a 3x3 square.[/QUOTE]
-Do the 9 normal directions (including staying still)(N,S,E,W,NE,NW,SE,SW,X)
-Have 9 zerglings spawn center location 1, remove 2 lings, center location 2, remove 2 lings, center location...
Create second "wave" of 9 hero zerglings
-Have it for when the observer (You will want to have speed up, and depending on the air unit speed you will want to have the observer
itself be moved to its own location depending on the speed)(Make sure you have the order for the observer to the player be similar to
hyper trigger format except have 4 of them which will ensure it will Always be onto it)
When the observer trailing the air unit goes over one of the zerglings have a death counter be added for that player
-Create custom death triggers for each individual player to ensure smoothness in trigger firing
Once that player gains a certain ammount of death counters (will varry due to the speed they go at)
-They will be ordered to previusly burrowed (zergling,hydra,dt,spidermine,ect) that has been moved to mirror oppisite of the observer)
thus creating the movement and apperence of after burners.
You must have hyper triggers and very smooth trigger outlay to do this.
-Include primary and secondary back ups for the observer movement.

For a better explenation:
Look up FAQs about MGS (If we have any here)
-Try MapLantis*Shudders*
Talk to me through PMs.
Contact ScmDraft@Useast, IRSpamHax@Useast sometime around 4 ets.

Post has been edited 4 time(s), last time on Sep 24 2007, 10:42 pm by TricksOfDeath.

None.

Sep 24 2007, 10:40 pm Money Post #8

This is from falkoner's website. I found it is a good tutorial.

None.

Sep 25 2007, 12:24 am Falkoner Post #9

Why not get the entire test pack?

http://Falkoner.CoW.GooglePages.com/Maps.html

Is this unit going to be human controlled for them to order as they like, or is it a computer? I assume it's human, and if it is, then there is no perfect way to just slow them down, unless you want them to have to keep clicking rapidly.

None.

Sep 25 2007, 1:44 pm TricksOfDeath Post #10

Yes Falkoner there is... I just explained it have the player be moved/ordered by triggers in the direction of the burrowed ling as I stated above...

None.

Sep 25 2007, 6:17 pm Fisty Post #11

I have never tried this before but you MIGHT be able to add afterburners using mods, since its an Unused Terran Upgrade.

None.

Sep 25 2007, 6:27 pm Money Post #12

You could just edit unit speed with a mod.

None.

Sep 25 2007, 6:43 pm who Post #13

yeah but mods aren't really practical for a UMS map.

None.

Sep 25 2007, 6:45 pm sharf Post #14

:/

Aight.. first off the zergling grid doesnt work, this is an entire water map.
It is human controlled, has to be able to attack, unless you can think of an ATA machine gun effect, scourges are missles.
I've used grids alot, I know how to deal with them, but it is a bit much... especialy sense it isnt the affect I want.

P.S. I've made tuts on unit grids :/

Doesnt seem possible, didn't think it was, just thought I'd ask. Obviously you can do it with ground units. pfft :/

None.

Sep 25 2007, 7:17 pm TricksOfDeath Post #15

:/ could have told us earlyer... :><:. Hmm... try the scourge idea or muta ;D it doesnt matter as long as ya... you wrote a tutorial, then just have p9 have an observer mirror the observer thats mirroring your unit and problem solved... you just need hyper trigs

None.

Options
  Back to forum