Staredit Network > Forums > Serious Discussion > Topic: Bible Study
Bible Study
Jan 16 2009, 7:32 pm
By: ClansAreForGays
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4 5 6 >

Feb 16 2009, 11:38 pm Falkoner Post #61

Quote from Kellimus
Quote from Falkoner
What about in the bible when it says to obey the laws of your land as they are mine, but at the time I beleive it was illegal to work on the Sabbath and Jesus healed that person...idk

Jesus fulfilled the Law of Moses, that law was because of the Law of Moses, and Jesus later asks if it's lawful to do good on the Sabbath. People who bash the Bible really need to learn not to take things out of context..

Any law created by man is fallacious when putting them up against The Laws of Creation and The Laws of Nature.

Who gives man the right to claim a day as 'holy'? Does the bird 'rest' on this 'sabbath day'? Does the bear stop his hunt on this 'sabbath day'? Does nature stop doing everything it does on this 'sabbath day'?

Hence, any law created by man is fallacious when putting them up against The Laws of Creation and The Laws of Nature for both never cease to exist, or even 'rest' on 'sabbath days'.

Good try though.

Um.. Nature is not man. Man was commanded to rest on the Sabbath, not nature.

None.

Feb 18 2009, 10:19 pm Kellimus Post #62

Quote from Falkoner
Quote from Kellimus
Quote from Falkoner
What about in the bible when it says to obey the laws of your land as they are mine, but at the time I beleive it was illegal to work on the Sabbath and Jesus healed that person...idk

Jesus fulfilled the Law of Moses, that law was because of the Law of Moses, and Jesus later asks if it's lawful to do good on the Sabbath. People who bash the Bible really need to learn not to take things out of context..

Any law created by man is fallacious when putting them up against The Laws of Creation and The Laws of Nature.

Who gives man the right to claim a day as 'holy'? Does the bird 'rest' on this 'sabbath day'? Does the bear stop his hunt on this 'sabbath day'? Does nature stop doing everything it does on this 'sabbath day'?

Hence, any law created by man is fallacious when putting them up against The Laws of Creation and The Laws of Nature for both never cease to exist, or even 'rest' on 'sabbath days'.

Good try though.

Um.. Nature is not man. Man was commanded to rest on the Sabbath, not nature.

Commanded by whom, those who wrote in "The Holy Bible" which is KNOWN to have been altered throughout history on many different occasions??

None.

Feb 18 2009, 10:22 pm Falkoner Post #63

Commanded by whom, those who wrote in "The Holy Bible" which is KNOWN to have been altered throughout history on many different occasions??

Commanded by God. Those who wrote the Bible are God's messengers, the later translations, admittedly, have errors, but your argument was just silly in the first place, God's commandments only apply to us, not all of life.

None.

Feb 18 2009, 10:24 pm Kellimus Post #64

Quote from Falkoner

Commanded by God. Those who wrote the Bible are God's messengers, the later translations, admittedly, have errors, but your argument was just silly in the first place, God's commandments only apply to us, not all of life.

Riiiiiight. Just like i'm the pink panther.

None.

Feb 19 2009, 12:25 am Doodan Post #65

God commanded me to make this post to tell everyone to stick their thumbs up their nose every time the clock strikes 4. YOU CAN'T PROVE HE DIDN'T!

None.

Feb 19 2009, 1:51 am midget_man_66 Post #66

Quote from Kellimus

I see no logical opposition in your words, to his. Slither out of it with sarcasm if you will but leave the pink panther out of it.

None.

Feb 19 2009, 2:17 am Falkoner Post #67

God commanded me to make this post to tell everyone to stick their thumbs up their nose every time the clock strikes 4. YOU CAN'T PROVE HE DIDN'T!

No, I cannot, but that is so ridiculous that I have a lot of difficulty having faith in it, the majority of what religion asks us to do is extremely logical and helps out in general.

None.

Feb 19 2009, 3:02 am ClansAreForGays Post #68

Quote from Falkoner
the majority of what religion asks us to do is extremely logical
ROFL! Have you read the old testament where it talks about what can and can not be eaten, and the process to clean yourself when you do something unclean?!

Also, you said it yourself - the majority of the time. The few times it does ask you to do illogical things and asks you just to accept it on faith, is enough to justify Doodan's revelation.

Feb 19 2009, 7:35 pm ClansAreForGays Post #69

Quote from Norm
Everyone should believe whatever they want to(this attitude is against christian teachings, which we are debating). As long as people are good who cares!(people are not good)
You have added nothing to this discussion. If you have a problem with religious debate, do not bother posting here. You might get away with this in null, but this is serious discussion, just because something is above your head doesn't mean you can talk down to the people that actually do get it.

Feb 20 2009, 4:25 pm Falkoner Post #70

ROFL! Have you read the old testament where it talks about what can and can not be eaten, and the process to clean yourself when you do something unclean?!

ROFL! Do you realize that the Law of Moses was fulfilled by Jesus so that no longer applies?!?

None.

Feb 21 2009, 12:21 am ClansAreForGays Post #71

Quote from Falkoner

ROFL! Do you realize that the Law of Moses was fulfilled by Jesus so that no longer applies?!?
Um, the old testament was before jesus. Add time into in logic and it falls apart. What does it being ok to do later, have to do with it being ok now? It doesn't matter that god no longer asks you to do these things(which is arguable), but that he ever asked for them.

Feb 21 2009, 5:26 am Kellimus Post #72

Quote from midget_man_66
Quote from Kellimus

I see no logical opposition in your words, to his. Slither out of it with sarcasm if you will but leave the pink panther out of it.

Because maybe you have none? Doodan put it into better words than I did.

My point being (because you simply don't seem to understand): ANYONE can say God commanded to do something, especially in a book written in times that humans are KNOWN to have little intelligence and ability to think for themselves.

So I simply stated: "And I'm the Pink Panther"

Because back in those times, I would be able to convince people, that I am COMMANDED BY GOD TO BE THE PINK PANTHER!

With all of religion's logic, that is.

None.

Feb 21 2009, 5:32 am A_of-s_t Post #73

aka idmontie

Quote from Kellimus
Quote from midget_man_66
Quote from Kellimus

Because maybe you have none? Doodan put it into better words than I did.

My point being (because you simply don't seem to understand): ANYONE can say God commanded to do something, especially in a book written in times that humans are KNOWN to have little intelligence and ability to think for themselves.

So I simply stated: "And I'm the Pink Panther"

Because back in those times, I would be able to convince people, that I am COMMANDED BY GOD TO BE THE PINK PANTHER!

With all of religion's logic, that is.
To be fair Kellimus, you should have stated all of that the FIRST time you posted. Someone shouldn't have to weasel the logic out of you.

Personal GitHub
Starcraft GitHub Organization - Feel free to request member status!
TwitchTV

Feb 22 2009, 12:02 am Falkoner Post #74

Um, the old testament was before jesus. Add time into in logic and it falls apart. What does it being ok to do later, have to do with it being ok now? It doesn't matter that god no longer asks you to do these things(which is arguable), but that he ever asked for them.

Part of the reason why God may ask us to do things that seem illogical is that they are humbling, and often we need to be humbled. A reason why God may have required Israel to not eat certain things may have been because of people not cooking their food, not eating the cloven hoofed animals can save you from a lot of diseases if you don't have the sense to cook them.

I know that there are others that seem ridiculous, but if you want me to explain them, go ahead and post the specific ones.

None.

Feb 27 2009, 6:31 pm Kellimus Post #75

Quote from Falkoner

Part of the reason why God may ask us to do things that seem illogical is that they are humbling, and often we need to be humbled. A reason why God may have required Israel to not eat certain things may have been because of people not cooking their food, not eating the cloven hoofed animals can save you from a lot of diseases if you don't have the sense to cook them.

I know that there are others that seem ridiculous, but if you want me to explain them, go ahead and post the specific ones.

That still doesn't explain the presence of 'God', as it could have been written into The Holy Bible by man.

None.

Feb 27 2009, 10:09 pm Fierce Post #76

Indeed, Kellimus, it was written by man.

It was man that created God in man's own image so that we can easily tell others how things happen (y'know, because Science is too hard to understand for some so we have to create something to simplify things).

If God is almighty and cannot be seen nor heard, how can he talk to man so they can become his messengers?

None.

Feb 27 2009, 10:24 pm Falkoner Post #77

If God is almighty and cannot be seen nor heard, how can he talk to man so they can become his messengers?

God can be seen and can be heard, where did you get the idea otherwise?

It was man that created God in man's own image so that we can easily tell others how things happen (y'know, because Science is too hard to understand for some so we have to create something to simplify things).

Religion does not mean that Science is wrong. They do not negate eachother, they can coexist quite easily.

That still doesn't explain the presence of 'God', as it could have been written into The Holy Bible by man.

You never asked me to explain the presence of God.. And is it that unlikely that there is a creator? It's about as likely as this world coming about by almost pure chance, if not more so.

None.

Feb 28 2009, 1:43 am Fierce Post #78

Quote from Falkoner

Religion does not mean that Science is wrong. They do not negate eachother, they can coexist quite easily

Man cannot handle information from such being to begin with. His interference would go against the way of faith and free will. I will assume you will ask how so I will say that free will supposedly gives us the right to do as we please (whether or not it goes against God) so that creates the reason of faith. Without the free will, we would be forced to acknowledge God so therefore no faith. It would be absolute.

Religion does not mean that Science is wrong. They do not negate eachother, they can coexist quite easily
I should have been more specific on those terms then. Biology, which I assume you have already taken, would negate religion. I will end this discussion on Religion & Science because no matter what it always comes down to both being a theory.

None.

Feb 28 2009, 2:33 am ClansAreForGays Post #79

Just remember when you are arguing with kellimus, he believes in god, just not yours. Some times in his matter of words he can be mistaken as an atheist by his over-skepticism.

Feb 28 2009, 3:10 am A_of-s_t Post #80

aka idmontie

Quote from Fierce
Man cannot handle information from such being to begin with. His interference would go against the way of faith and free will. I will assume you will ask how so I will say that free will supposedly gives us the right to do as we please (whether or not it goes against God) so that creates the reason of faith. Without the free will, we would be forced to acknowledge God so therefore no faith. It would be absolute.
And who exactly are you to assume we CAN'T talk to God? I'm personally an aethest, but if god does exist, he is not going to obey your rules...

Personal GitHub
Starcraft GitHub Organization - Feel free to request member status!
TwitchTV

Options
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4 5 6 >
  Back to forum