Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Terrain > Topic: Terrain Competition Round 11
Terrain Competition Round 11
Jan 13 2009, 5:32 am
By: stickynote
Pages: < 1 2 3

Jan 20 2009, 4:47 am stickynote Post #41

Lol, sprite blends. What I hate, though, is when people use a tree or a bush or a rock sprite to cover an ugly spot in their terrain when it doesn't match the surrounding terrain. For example, on a badlands bridge or something industrialized, when you use a one of the above stated sprites to cover up the corner, it doesn't look natural.

None.

Jan 20 2009, 5:39 am Demented Shaman Post #42

For sprite usage, I think whether the terrain is going to be used in a map or not matters. If you're just making terrain pieces just for show then you can use as many sprites as you want and if they aren't even going to be shown ingame then you can use sprites that crash the game.

However, if the terrain is to be used in a map then how sprite intensive it is must be taken into account. Often times you see people commenting on how sprite intensive a piece is and criticizing it for that, but that only matters if it's going to be used in a map.

None.

Jan 20 2009, 12:28 pm Vi3t-X Post #43

Quote from stickynote
Lol, sprite blends. What I hate, though, is when people use a tree or a bush or a rock sprite to cover an ugly spot in their terrain when it doesn't match the surrounding terrain. For example, on a badlands bridge or something industrialized, when you use a one of the above stated sprites to cover up the corner, it doesn't look natural.
Bridge Signs ftw.

None.

Jan 20 2009, 3:51 pm DaMiNaToR Post #44

Question. If this is a competition why has only 1 person posted an entry on this thread? Damn if it's this easy I'll enter and win... :ermm:

None.

Jan 20 2009, 7:43 pm Vi3t-X Post #45

Three people have submitted entries.

None.

Jan 20 2009, 7:55 pm Demented Shaman Post #46

Quote from DaMiNaToR
Question. If this is a competition why has only 1 person posted an entry on this thread? Damn if it's this easy I'll enter and win... :ermm:
The amount of entries doesn't matter if you're just trying to compete for first place because it only takes one awesome entry to beat you.

None.

Jan 20 2009, 8:01 pm Jello-Jigglers Post #47

Quote from name:Barack Obama
Quote from TriggR_HappE
Well, I was going for the lost, trashed city too, but after seeing the I am Legend, I give up lol. Puts mine to absolute shame. And IMO, well placed sprites can look much better than well blended terrain. Sure you can make bigger walls, but they're plain and boring. Sure you can make different transitions between different terrain types, but they're still boring transitions. Sprites allow you to give your terrain character, like how his buildings had the foliage running up them and such. Waterfalls look like crap without sprites. I'll take a sprite whored terrain that looks amazing over a boring well blended map anyday.
I think terrain needs a balance of both blends and sprites. I agree that blends can only go so far and that's where you use sprites to add little details and stuff. However, I don't think sprites should just be used as an excuse to cover up lazy and poor blending.
I disagree, I feel sprites(99% of the time) are distracting from the piece and make it look lazy. (plus i hate your name)

None.

Jan 21 2009, 12:34 am RoryFenrir Post #48

i dont ever think the sprite/terrain argument will ever be settled, i think the hardest thing to do is when you cant find a good blend, and you have to use a sprite to cover up a bad blend and make it look good.

None.

Jan 21 2009, 1:26 am payne Post #49

:payne:

Rory, maybe you should add more cracks to your road? :O

None.

Jan 21 2009, 8:07 pm Demented Shaman Post #50

Quote from Jello-Jigglers
Quote from name:Barack Obama
Quote from TriggR_HappE
Well, I was going for the lost, trashed city too, but after seeing the I am Legend, I give up lol. Puts mine to absolute shame. And IMO, well placed sprites can look much better than well blended terrain. Sure you can make bigger walls, but they're plain and boring. Sure you can make different transitions between different terrain types, but they're still boring transitions. Sprites allow you to give your terrain character, like how his buildings had the foliage running up them and such. Waterfalls look like crap without sprites. I'll take a sprite whored terrain that looks amazing over a boring well blended map anyday.
I think terrain needs a balance of both blends and sprites. I agree that blends can only go so far and that's where you use sprites to add little details and stuff. However, I don't think sprites should just be used as an excuse to cover up lazy and poor blending.
I disagree, I feel sprites(99% of the time) are distracting from the piece and make it look lazy. (plus i hate your name)
No, you don't disagree. I'm saying that sprite should not replace good blending, but there are also details that sprite can add that you simply cannot get from any kind of blending. For example, look at Rory's submission. How are you supposed to make it look like vegetation is growing up the sides of a building just through the use of terrain? You can't without making it look like shit. With sprites you can add those kinds of details.

Also, if sprite use makes the terrain look distracting then they clearly haven't been used properly.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3
  Back to forum