Staredit Network > Forums > Serious Discussion > Topic: Why do you believe?
Why do you believe?
Dec 31 2008, 11:27 am
By: Hercanic
Pages: < 1 2 3 413 >

Polls
Why did you choose your particular religion?
Why did you choose your particular religion?
Answer Votes Percentage % Voters
It's what I was raised to believe. 3

5%
None.
I don't know much about other religions, so I default to what I know. 1

2%
None.
It appeals to me. 4

6%
None.
I had a personal experience that convinced me. 5

7%
None.
Faith. 5

7%
None.
______________. 9

13%
None.
N/A, I am not a theist. 45

63%
None.
Please login to vote.
Poll has 72 votes. You can vote for at most 1 option(s).

Jan 1 2009, 2:25 am Echo Post #21

God gave us free will. He gave us a choice to either believe in him or not. I'm not someone you should really ask. But I've seen cripples walk and such. He also has a plan, so there are reasons why things happen. If God was to heal everyone and make everything so ladida, he wouldn't have made Earth. Humans are full of sin, so we have to pay the consequences too. I just believe that God did somethings to me to protect me from losing faith, to remind me. Let's not forget, God isn't the only one around, there is also Satan. God is superior, because he sent Lucifer to hell, he can stop him, but he chose to give us free will. I just added the small things like Tropicana ice cream just as a small factor.

What I have to counter in your arguement is that how was I healed right on the spot?
How did I recieve the same exact ice cream the next day, when I didn't pray out loud, or tell anyone I wanted it? It was just a craving I had right on the spot before I prayed. Out of thousands of ice creams, that one was bought by someone and given to me?

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jan 1 2009, 2:33 am by Echo.

None.

Jan 1 2009, 2:28 am hinoatashi Post #22

I have a little cousin, who is 5 years old and relatively slow for his age. I used to let him watch a Christian channel (full of cartoons and whatnot) because I thought it would give him some moral lessons that he could grow up with. After spending an afternoon watching TV with him, I decided that I'd rather have him watching SpongeBob than the Christian cartoons. It didn't teach him any moral lessons. It was teaching him how to worship.

While I have nothing against any religion, I believe that anything that spends more time telling someone who, what, and how to worship some higher figure over the why they should worship is not worth believing in. If those cartoons proposed a question such as "Why should I believe in God?" and followed up with the response "Because he gives strength to people when they need it the most" (or something following the same lines), I would let my cousin watch. Instead, it was several hours of "Praise God because he is all mighty and all knowing. If you don't you go to hell."

None.

Jan 1 2009, 2:36 am Centreri Post #23

Relatively ancient and inactive

Echo, if you attribute your recovery to your religion, then why doesn't your god heal amputees? Ever? Mysterious ways, or just your body doing what it can already do? Our bodies heal and repair, happens all the time with or without prayer, but we cannot regenerate limbs, so you never hear of that due to prayer.
That argument pisses me off largely because of theists can't ever seem to answer it. So, I'll answer it just like I answered the ultimate question, what's the meaning of life. You ready?

God doesn't heal amputees for many reasons. The prime reason is probably to establish in mankind the mentality that they have to fend for themselves, that they are ultimately responsible for their actions. If one knows that even the most horrible of injuries, the loss of a limb, can be regenerated through pleading to a father figure, mankind will never become truly responsible and adult. Anyway, injuries don't effect your immortal soul, so after death you spend an eternity in heaven, and the loss of a limb way back when is a small price to pay.

Anyway, that's essentially what I would label the logical (lol) answer to that annoying as hell question that a website's dedicated to. Oh, and actually I answered the ultimate question better then this one, if you find the flaws in it. I don't think many would. However, this question is harder \:P.

Hercanic, don't try to start a huge theist vs atheist debate, please. They never go anywhere. Just like the protection vs OSMAP arguments go nowhere.

None.

Jan 1 2009, 2:39 am Fwop_ Post #24

Quote from Falkoner
I've had personal experience through prayer and study, to the point where I can say I know my religion is true.

None.

Jan 1 2009, 2:40 am Echo Post #25

God doesn't heal amputees for many reasons. The prime reason is probably to establish in mankind the mentality that they have to fend for themselves, that they are ultimately responsible for their actions. If one knows that even the most horrible of injuries, the loss of a limb, can be regenerated through pleading to a father figure, mankind will never become truly responsible and adult. Anyway, injuries don't effect your immortal soul, so after death you spend an eternity in heaven, and the loss of a limb way back when is a small price to pay.
Wow, that is such a great answer. To further this, the Bible said to cut off a limb that causes you to sin, but this isn't something to be taken true to word. It can in some ways.

None.

Jan 1 2009, 2:42 am Centreri Post #26

I'll note that I think all religions on earth are complete bullshit, and that god either takes a form entirely different from what all these religions say or doesn't exist. That question just really pisses me off.

None.

Jan 1 2009, 2:48 am hinoatashi Post #27

Quote from Centreri
I'll note that I think all religions on earth are complete bullshit, and that god either takes a form entirely different from what all these religions say or doesn't exist. That question just really pisses me off.

I can't agree with that part. There are plenty of religions out there to cover all of the aspects of what a god could be. Malevolent, omnipotent, active, passive, etc.

None.

Jan 1 2009, 2:54 am Centreri Post #28

I'm essentially agnostic. My 'religion' (or lack thereof) states that I don't know. I mix some Centrerism into that (or {myrealfirstname+lastname} + ism) to produce that I believe that all these real religions are completely wrong and I narrow down God to essentially just an energy source with allowance for sentience (though I doubt it) and an equal amount in the other direction.

None.

Jan 1 2009, 2:54 am EzDay281 Post #29

I can't agree with that part. There are plenty of religions out there to cover all of the aspects of what a god could be. Malevolent, omnipotent, active, passive, etc.
There are also nigh-infinite possibilites.
Know of a religion that describes a psychotic glittery pink fairy god? Only so arbitrary as any other incarnation we've come up with, just less inline with what we would subconsciously expect for no good, or entirely appropriate reason.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jan 1 2009, 3:34 am by EzDay281.

None.

Jan 1 2009, 4:07 am MasterJohnny Post #30

Quote from Hercanic
Pascal's Wager is intrinsically flawed, because it makes the assumption that there exists only two choices: believing in the Christian god and not believing in the Christian god. Yet, there are a vast number of choices, not just the two that Pascal artificially presumes. You could follow the edicts of Christianity, and find yourself reborn as an ant because Hinduism was true and you didn't follow its teachings. You could find yourself cast out of the pantheon of Kami because your name wasn't added to the Shinto list. What if the Egyptians were correct, and you need to have your body preserved so your ka can reunite with your ba? And the Muslim's Koran is quite explicit about what happens to unbelievers. The list goes on and on.

Pascal's Wager is ultimately nothing more than a false dilemma logical fallacy.

If you put in the other religious choices, I would still choose the "God does not exist" choice because I wouldn't want to waste time worshiping a gamble of religions beliefs.

I am a Mathematician

Jan 1 2009, 4:10 am ClansAreForGays Post #31

Quote from Echo
I believe because I chose to believe. As well as other following reasons. I grew up in a family where my father is a reverend. I also had many near death experiences. When I was very young, I had this really huge asthma attack. I couldn't breathe and the hospitals couldn't really do anything. Then I was brought to a church and some pastor prayed for me and I was healed. Also, my sister was hit by a car, but she got out of the hospital the same day and barely had a scratch on her. When I was little, I used to pray for a lot of little things. One of the most memorable one is when I prayed for tropicana orange ice cream, and the next day, someone bought it and gave it to us. I have many other reasons that can go on forever.
You know I might just have faith in God if the same things happened to me. I think everyone could believe in god if he answered their prayers to this level.

@Hercanic: I don't think you're using the right angle of questioning at echo.

Jan 1 2009, 5:00 am Hug A Zergling Post #32

I believe in my religion because It makes sense too me. I am a Matrixist, and we believe that this world is not real, but a dream. I've been one for sometime now, and I'm not entirely sure what first drew me to it, but It has to do a lot with Solipsism (A theory which revolves around the idea that The only thing I know exists is my mind) which is something I've thought about for a while now, but didn't really think other people thought about it. This is the main reason I joined, but there were others at the time.

None.

Jan 1 2009, 5:33 am MasterJohnny Post #33

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrixism

Is this for real?

I am a Mathematician

Jan 1 2009, 5:36 am Hug A Zergling Post #34

Some Matrixists will tell you it is. Other won't.

Matrixism is not very defined, and a lot of people have false ideas about it, so the interwebs isn't the greatest place for finding information.

None.

Jan 1 2009, 6:02 am Morphling Post #35

If there were no God, there would be no Atheists. – G. K. Chesterton

From that statement, a God must exist.

Jan 1 2009, 6:27 am Centreri Post #36

Thus, that statement is incorrect. As it would be anyway, without that ridiculous corollary (which is, admittedly ridiculous because of the assumption it's based on, and not because of flawed logical deduction).

None.

Jan 1 2009, 7:00 am ClansAreForGays Post #37

Quote from Morphling
If there were no God, there would be no Atheists. - G. K. Chesterton

From that statement, a God must exist.
I got a better one:
"If there were no God, it would be necessary to invent him." -Voltaire

I'm pretty sure Voltaire > Chesterton

Post has been edited 4 time(s), last time on Jan 1 2009, 4:42 pm by Dapperdan.

Jan 1 2009, 8:42 am BeDazed Post #38

I have one question. Why are you guys so obsessed with God?

None.

Jan 1 2009, 8:55 am Excalibur Post #39

The sword and the faith

Quote from BeDazed
I believe a lot of these topics are made based on people who either have or don't have a god wanting to reason with the other. One side seems to think the other is wrong and so wants to discuss about it, little do they know there is a very low probability of them changing anyone's mind.
In other words:

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Jan 1 2009, 4:03 pm Echo Post #40

Quote from BeDazed
Questions like this leads to debates. This isn't really a debate thread. And what do you mean guys? More than 70% voted that they are not a theist.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 413 >
  Back to forum