Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: SeN Awards 2009
SeN Awards 2009
This topic is locked. You can no longer write replies here.
Dec 12 2008, 6:11 pm
By: Corbo
Pages: < 1 « 8 9 10 11 1215 >

Dec 23 2008, 9:35 pm Dapperdan Post #181

For the record, I thought Farty was completely clear in his statements and was a little boggled by the fact that anyone didn't understand what he meant.

None.

Dec 23 2008, 10:01 pm ClansAreForGays Post #182

No one cares.

Dec 23 2008, 10:24 pm Esponeo Post #183

I'm not dead or banned.

None.

Dec 23 2008, 10:32 pm Kaias Post #184

Quote from Esponeo
I'm not dead or banned or a moderator.

None.

Dec 23 2008, 10:40 pm Morphling Post #185

Quote from Kaias
Quote from Esponeo
lmao

None.

Dec 23 2008, 11:06 pm Esponeo Post #186

I don't remember saying that.

None.

Dec 24 2008, 12:11 am Demented Shaman Post #187

Quote from Dapperdan
For the record, I thought Farty was completely clear in his statements and was a little boggled by the fact that anyone didn't understand what he meant.
Is it because you had read posts like Brontobyte's where he put Eminem as artist of the year?

None.

Dec 24 2008, 4:53 am ClansAreForGays Post #188

Quote from Kaias
Quote from Esponeo
rofl

Dec 24 2008, 6:33 am UnholyUrine Post #189

If Lethal's Map is so good, then why have I never played it :S...
It can't be "THAT" good that it shuns publicity :rolleyes: ... ... unless it's not done of course :S, then I'd like to see =D

None.

Dec 24 2008, 6:42 am Demented Shaman Post #190

Quote from UnholyUrine
If Lethal's Map is so good, then why have I never played it :S...
It can't be "THAT" good that it shuns publicity :rolleyes: ... ... unless it's not done of course :S, then I'd like to see =D
It's been stated several times that Lethal hasn't finished any map. All his maps are incomplete maps or concept maps.

I already posed the question as to how this should factor into our decision for "Best Mapper" and what the criteria are for being called "Best Mapper", but I guess this also affects the category "Best Map". Best Map is vague, because technically even an incomplete map is a "map". So should an incomplete map be allowed to be nominated for "Best Map"?

It's certain that Lethal is skilled in triggering, but is that all there is to a map and being the best mapper? There's also the terrain aspect to consider and other things such as gameplay, map layout, overall feel, and entertainment value. I'm sure each thing can be demonstrated in separate maps, but shouldn't the best mapper demonstrate a proficiency in each one and have shown he can put them all together in a single map?

Also, Is there a great difference in finishing a map and only having an incompleted map? Is there some kind of aspect or skill that is a part of mapping that a mapmaker doesn't demonstrate if he has never completed a map, and if so is that important?

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 24 2008, 6:47 am by Mayor.

None.

Dec 24 2008, 7:15 am JaFF Post #191

Quote from name:Mayor
Also, Is there a great difference in finishing a map and only having an incompleted map? Is there some kind of aspect or skill that is a part of mapping that a mapmaker doesn't demonstrate if he has never completed a map, and if so is that important?
I think it's purely psychological. Lethal, for examle, will never release something he can find a slightest flaw or room for improvement in. Almost the same applies to me - I could have released (and claimed the released version to be the final) my thing map atleast twice, but I decided to push on and make it better and more sophisticated.

Lethal is probably the best SC triggerer in existance, and if he considers the Beta version of Elementa good enough, I will go out of my way and nominate it as Best Map and its creator as Best Mapper, and sugegst you do the same.

None.

Dec 24 2008, 7:19 am Pigy_G Post #192

Both Tarpit D and the Puzzling were not created in '08

None.

Dec 24 2008, 9:28 am Demented Shaman Post #193

Quote from JaFF
I think it's purely psychological. Lethal, for examle, will never release something he can find a slightest flaw or room for improvement in. Almost the same applies to me - I could have released (and claimed the released version to be the final) my thing map atleast twice, but I decided to push on and make it better and more sophisticated.
However, I don't think any of Lethal's maps are that close to completion where he could release them without really adding any more to it. Sure they're "playable" but they still lack elements that come from polishing a map and making it player friendly and the question is whether he can be called best mapper if he hasn't demonstrated that he can do those things and if they are of any importance.

Quote from JaFF
Lethal is probably the best SC triggerer in existance, and if he considers the Beta version of Elementa good enough, I will go out of my way and nominate it as Best Map and its creator as Best Mapper, and sugegst you do the same.
I don't know. Sure it looks good and it's probably one of the best maps from a trigger standpoint, but it hasn't shown the pure entertainment value that some other maps have. It's too early to tell how fun the map will turn out to be, but I think whether it can be called the best map depends on it.

A mapmaker can execute a map perfectly, but if he starts off with a bad concept then the end product won't be fun to play and can't be called the best map. This doesn't eliminate incomplete maps from being called the best map, but they still have to provide that entertainment value, just in its incomplete state.

I'd say Lethal is more of the best innovator because he's mainly involved in doing conceptual things focused on triggers. And even then all of his work is really just focused greatly on applications of his pixel grid.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 24 2008, 9:35 am by Mayor.

None.

Dec 24 2008, 4:03 pm Dapperdan Post #194

Quote from Dapperdan
Is it because you had read posts like Brontobyte's where he put Eminem as artist of the year?

Yes. As in, it greatly helped that I had actually been reading the topic to understand what Farty was saying.

None.

Dec 24 2008, 4:06 pm Kaias Post #195

There should be more categories to this.

Most Surprisingly Fun Map/Mod:
Most Innovative Mapper/Modder:
Most Innovative Map/Mod:
Greatest New Concept:
Most Overrated Map: (TS)

None.

Dec 24 2008, 7:43 pm UnholyUrine Post #196

If you got an issue with TS, then talk about it elsewhere or blow it out your mapping butt. :rolleyes:
When is your Time Down gonna be finished anyway :S...

To Mayor and others, Obviously If I haven't played this crazy good map, I can't nominate it. So, in essence, this thread also pins on the most popular, or, as Kaias would say, overrated map. But yeah, some unfinished maps are way better than many finished maps. There're several RPG's that I couldn't finished, but the unfinished product was really fun already. You could say our ambition made us fail in producing finished map. But again, if Lethal's map aren't being played, then you can hardly expect me to nominate him...

There're lots to a good mapper. Off the top of my head, I can list that a good mapper has to have good: triggering, talent in concept, gameplay, design, presentation, general feel, and patience with mapping, and probably much more... to make a good map. If he doesn't have the patience to finish an rpg (which most don't), then he isn't the "best" mapper, but he'd still be a great one. I voted Tux because he had the patience to make RUSH and Galactic Gunners and Astrogears (tho i hate astrogears b/c it's over the top complicated)... :S... not many ppl can spend so much time in making games like those.

I don't think we need to seperate this into more categories, Kaias, that'd just complicate things... Obviously diff ppl have diff meaning to the phrase "best map". If we further categorize, then we'll never arrive to "the-one-and-only" "greatest" "Majority-approved" "best" map.

And anyway, in the end, it's just our opinions... I bet if I ever get the chance to play Elementa, it'd wow me too. (And I bet if Kaias ever get the chance to seriously play TS, he'll understand why it is so 'overratedly' popular =o.. [at SEN at least..])

None.

Dec 24 2008, 7:55 pm Kaias Post #197

Quote from UnholyUrine
If you got an issue with TS, then talk about it elsewhere or blow it out your mapping butt. :rolleyes:
When is your Time Down gonna be finished anyway :S...

To Mayor and others, Obviously If I haven't played this crazy good map, I can't nominate it. So, in essence, this thread also pins on the most popular, or, as Kaias would say, overrated map. But yeah, some unfinished maps are way better than many finished maps. There're several RPG's that I couldn't finished, but the unfinished product was really fun already. You could say our ambition made us fail in producing finished map. But again, if Lethal's map aren't being played, then you can hardly expect me to nominate him...

There're lots to a good mapper. Off the top of my head, I can list that a good mapper has to have good: triggering, talent in concept, gameplay, design, presentation, general feel, and patience with mapping, and probably much more... to make a good map. If he doesn't have the patience to finish an rpg (which most don't), then he isn't the "best" mapper, but he'd still be a great one. I voted Tux because he had the patience to make RUSH and Galactic Gunners and Astrogears (tho i hate astrogears b/c it's over the top complicated)... :S... not many ppl can spend so much time in making games like those.

I don't think we need to seperate this into more categories, Kaias, that'd just complicate things... Obviously diff ppl have diff meaning to the phrase "best map". If we further categorize, then we'll never arrive to "the-one-and-only" "greatest" "Majority-approved" "best" map.

And anyway, in the end, it's just our opinions... I bet if I ever get the chance to play Elementa, it'd wow me too. (And I bet if Kaias ever get the chance to seriously play TS, he'll understand why it is so 'overratedly' popular =o.. [at SEN at least..])
You have to admit, the following on TS is ridiculous. I'm mostly just saying that because I'm terrible at TS, and I won't keep up with all the different nuances of each class. Don't worry about it though, it at least raises the Bnet standard, over godawful things like Naruto and Cat and Mouse.

None.

Dec 24 2008, 8:09 pm Moose Post #198

We live in a society.

Temple Siege is so ridiculous that you can only describe it and its following on* it* with generalized adjectives such as ridiculous and overrated instead of creating an argument based upon the map. Add the fact that you've admitted you're terrible at it to destroy your own credibility into the mix...

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 24 2008, 9:14 pm by Mini Moose 2707. Reason: ^on it

Dec 24 2008, 8:27 pm Kaias Post #199

Quote from Mini Moose 2707
Temple Siege is so ridiculous that you can only describe it and its following with generalized adjectives such as ridiculous and overrated instead of creating an argument based upon the map. Add the fact that you've admitted you're terrible at it to destroy your own credibility into the mix...
I didn't say that Temple Siege was ridiculous, or that the followers themselves were, but that the following on it is. That is to say that there is an enormous fanbase for it. I never said the game was poorly constructed or designed, that it wasn't well-made or balanced. And my skill is comparative, I don't spend all day learning all the facets, tactics and counters of every class and against every other class per class. I don't have to an obsessive player to form a valid opinion on a game. I don't have to be a Korean Melee Pro to tell you that the SC melee balance and design is incredible.

It's blasphemous to oppose the cult, apparently.

None.

Dec 24 2008, 8:44 pm payne Post #200

:payne:

Lolicious debate ^^

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 8 9 10 11 1215 >
  Back to forum