Staredit Network > Forums > Modding Projects > Topic: Starship Troopers
Starship Troopers
Dec 7 2008, 8:04 pm
By: RoryFenrir
Pages: < 1 2 3 46 >

Dec 9 2008, 2:41 am FlyingHat Post #21

Quote from name:TassadarZeratul
I've tried making a ground transport unit (APC) in Starcraft before. When a group of these units are told to unload somewhere, they all crowd around in a single spot and flail around and die before even unloading anything. APC's in-game would be horrible transports (unless if you can fantastical micro skillz) and would only be good for cannon fodder.
Make it so you can only select one APC at a time.

Make it so that the "Unload all" button is not available when more than one is selected.

Make them have to use "Siege mode" before they can load/unload.

Or something else I haven't thought of yet.

WORKAROUNDS FTW!
All of those workarounds are very impractical in application and in gameplay.

None.

Dec 9 2008, 4:07 am Vi3t-X Post #22

Quote from FlyingHat
I've tried making a ground transport unit (APC) in Starcraft before. When a group of these units are told to unload somewhere, they all crowd around in a single spot and flail around and die before even unloading anything. APC's in-game would be horrible transports (unless if you can fantastical micro skillz) and would only be good for cannon fodder.
You don't need fantastic micro skills. If you can successfully pull off a dropship landing into an opponent's base, I see little difficulty in learning how to unload APCs.

None.

Dec 9 2008, 4:18 am FlyingHat Post #23

Quote from Vi3t-X
Quote from FlyingHat
You don't need fantastic micro skills. If you can successfully pull off a dropship landing into an opponent's base, I see little difficulty in learning how to unload APCs.
The units that are unloaded get trapped between the APC units and begin flailing around. When you unload from dropships the units won't be trapped and are free to move around. I'm speaking from experience here.

None.

Dec 9 2008, 4:20 am RoryFenrir Post #24

ya i was thinking how you would have to select each dropship and a drop location, and thats kinda crappy, its not a big deal anyway.

None.

Dec 10 2008, 3:48 am RoryFenrir Post #25

Heres some new screen shots of buildings for federation. All building GRPs are done (except for construction pics) placement boxes are set, and unit size is set.

Here are the walls, as you can see they are pretty flexable, they conect pretty well (exept the side walls to corners) These buildings are the only buildings, (plus a geiser mine if i can figure it out) Command center, barracks, acadamy (infantry ups), starport, control tower-not add on (air ups)

These are the turrets, (this pic is a little worse looking than the current ones) They wont spin constantly, but they do point in the direction they shoot and will also have fring frames.

By the way, my plan for supplys:

Federation: All buildings will give more supply (capacity), the bigger, like command center and baracks will give more than buildings like walls.

Kelendathu: The brain will give different amounts of suply at different stages, first may be 20, second 50, third 100. (multiply brains will beable to be built)

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 10 2008, 3:53 am by RoryFenrir.

None.

Dec 10 2008, 3:59 am A_of-s_t Post #26

aka idmontie

Heh, I love the walls! I've always wanted to do that and it seems you've nicely pulled it off.

It looks like you need player color though...

Personal GitHub
Starcraft GitHub Organization - Feel free to request member status!
TwitchTV

Dec 10 2008, 4:59 am RoryFenrir Post #27

ive played plenty of rts games without player color, its not really needed. If i absolutly need to i could add player color to the buildings pretty easily, but i just think that colors make the units look alot worse, but thats just me

None.

Dec 10 2008, 5:05 am Biophysicist Post #28

If done properly, player colors can make the units actually look better. And I disagree that Pcolor isn't necessary.

If you don't want to mess up your color scheme, you can always put a circle of player color under the units... Kind of like that circle you get when you select a unit, except in player color.

None.

Dec 10 2008, 5:51 am RoryFenrir Post #29

I was actually thinking the same thing about the selection circle, except that only you can see it. I think that you could effectivly control your units without player color, and it will still show up on the miny map anyway.

None.

Dec 11 2008, 1:40 am bajadulce Post #30

nice models. Love the walls.

No player color might be fun. I can see ppl trying to sneak proxy buildings into enemy camps. Red Alert 2 uses spies that actually are the same color as the enemy! :) But ya the mini map always gives it away. Now you could also modify those minimap colors too I think! :)

None.

Dec 11 2008, 1:47 am Biophysicist Post #31

Quote from RoryFenrir
I was actually thinking the same thing about the selection circle, except that only you can see it. I think that you could effectivly control your units without player color, and it will still show up on the miny map anyway.

No, I meant t at you actually make the circle part of the GRP. And I think that not having player color would be annoying.

None.

Dec 12 2008, 12:46 am RoryFenrir Post #32

nice models. Love the walls.

No player color might be fun. I can see ppl trying to sneak proxy buildings into enemy camps. Red Alert 2 uses spies that actually are the same color as the enemy! But ya the mini map always gives it away. Now you could also modify those minimap colors too I think!

thanks, ya you could jsut change the pallet picture couldnt you? but ill probably leave it colored to compromise.

No, I meant t at you actually make the circle part of the GRP. And I think that not having player color would be annoying.

well theres only one was to solve this argument, and that to try it so well see :)

None.

Dec 12 2008, 5:43 am Phobos Post #33

Are you sure about that?

Quote from name:Deathman101
Oh, and Phobos, doesn't this give you an idea?
No

this is signature

Dec 12 2008, 5:55 am Corbo Post #34

ALL PRAISE YOUR SUPREME LORD CORBO

Quote from Phobos
Quote from name:Deathman101
Oh, and Phobos, doesn't this give you an idea?
No
I lol'd

Also, the walls are just AMAZING. Nice concepts, nice mod. Keep going.

fuck you all

Dec 12 2008, 2:44 pm KrayZee Post #35

How about adding some "Main theme" music from Starship Troopers?

None.

Dec 12 2008, 8:06 pm Hercanic Post #36

STF mod creator, Modcrafters.com admin, CampaignCreations.org staff

Looking great, RoryFenrir! There are so few mods that have entirely new custom graphics, so this project will definately stand out.

Dec 14 2008, 2:18 am RoryFenrir Post #37

Thanks, and yes KrayZee, i plan to have movie music. Ill try to dl the sound track if i can or ill just rip it from the movie. Ill have movie secuences too for the campaign.

heres a small update, new minerals and new scv graphic. (the scv was totally made up so its pretty much the same lol)

As i said, i want the minerals to be more metal like than crystal like. So i have 3 types (ill name ingame) Chromic Ore, Feric Ore, and Cupric Ore (Azurite and Malichite). scvs match almot perfectly with the scv glow, so thats good.

Currently working on the bug worker, i got all the frames in a single picture now i just need to turn them into 391 pictures (great fun!)

None.

Dec 14 2008, 2:24 am Biophysicist Post #38

Er... Make the minerals brighter?

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 14 2008, 2:24 am by TassadarZeratul. Reason: THEY LOOK LIKE RETARDED TREES.

None.

Dec 14 2008, 8:22 am Hercanic Post #39

STF mod creator, Modcrafters.com admin, CampaignCreations.org staff

I'd keep the colors of the workers and the stuff they work on, such as mineral fields, different enough that they can easily be distinguished from one another. I can barely see that one bottom worker, and wouldn't have noticed him had it not been for the Fusion Cutter sprite. Otherwise, looking awesome!

(Heh, the CC looks like a robot lying on its back)

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 14 2008, 8:27 am by Hercanic.

Dec 14 2008, 3:42 pm RoryFenrir Post #40

ya that is a good point i noticed that earlier too. Ill make em brighter, shouldnt be too hard with firefox

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 46 >
  Back to forum