Staredit Network > Forums > Modding Assistance > Topic: need some advice...
need some advice...
Dec 4 2008, 8:47 pm
By: Biophysicist  

Dec 4 2008, 8:47 pm Biophysicist Post #1

Well, I had an idea to get water units to work in SC AND still let people use transports/Recall without getting units on the water AND still letting air units work, but there are a few things I need to ask:

1. How exactly do you create a new "build unit" button? eg. A button to build Artanis, morph to Infested Kerrigan, or construct a Psi Distruptor?

2. Can you increase map max with a mod, and would that make it laggy if people hit the raised map max?

3. Can you make a spell cost different amount of mana for different units?

4. What would happen if I made a weapon that had the "Can only target organic units" flag (eg. Maelstrom, Healing) AND the "Can only target mechanical units" flag (eg. Lockdown) set? Would the weapon only be able to target units with BOTH the "Organic" and "Mechanical" flags set (eg. the SCV)? The reason I'm asking is that then I can make ship-ship only weapons by marking all ships as both Organic and Mechanical. The problem is then that the ships can be hit by all spells, which I DOES NOT WANT. I was considering setting the "Building" flag on the ships and shortening the Medic's healing range so there is no way for it to hit the ships. Of course, this would mean that the ships can't be hit by most spells. I could probably come up with some kind of workaround, but it wouldn't be perfect. Or, I could scrap ship-ship only weapons. (The only unit I had been planning to be ship-to-ship only was the Terran Submarine, which I could easily scrap or modify.) Which do you guys think would be better? Or do you have another idea?

5. What system would you recommend I use for ship construction? Should I use the WarCraft 3 model where ship construction facilities are pre-placed and capturable? (Well, sort of capturable...) Or set it so that a player builds a ship-construction building and I remove it and refund the cost if it's not close enough to water? Or make ships build from some sort of "Mothership"?

6. How would I prevent people from Recalling ships onto land?

7. Would naval units actually be cool, or would it be one of those things someone looks at, maybe plays once, and then forgets about?

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 4 2008, 9:24 pm by TassadarZeratul.

None.

Dec 4 2008, 9:37 pm Fyrinite Post #2

1. You'll need Firegraft for that. What you'll probably do is find the existing set for the building you want to add the build button to, and then there should be a preset train unit command that will help you set up most of what you need. Also, you'll need to make sure the Dat Requirements for the unit you wish to build are set up properly.

2. By map max, what do you mean? Number of units/sprites on the map, or the size? Although for either of those, it is not possible for the current version. The unit limit was possible in older versions.

3. The cost of a spell is associated with the spell itself, not the unit. You could duplicate the spell using some fancy orders.dat and iscripting and then make it cost different, but that's not something that's easiest to do.

4. The flags are inclusive (when use weapon targeting is properly set up). So yes, setting up the organic and mechanical flags will allow units with either or both of those properties to be targeted by the weapon.

None.

Dec 4 2008, 9:45 pm Biophysicist Post #3

1. I know I'd need Firegraft, but I didn't know how to do it. Thanks.

4. I'm not sure you understood me correctly... I was asking if a weapon that can only attack organics and can only attack mechanicals would be able to target a unit that has both organic and mechanical set, and can't target units with only one of those properties. (Or I misunderstood you, which is equally likely...)

Thanks anyway, sorry for my poor language skills.

(And DiscipleOfAdun = DoA? Can't believe I never realized that before...)

EDIT: And I can has answer to questions 5-7 plz?

None.

Dec 4 2008, 9:52 pm ForTheSwarm Post #4

5. You could make both the building and the workers water units.

6. It would depend on how you are making water units.

7. Depends on if it's a TC or just SC with water units.

None.

Dec 4 2008, 9:54 pm Fyrinite Post #5

I went backwards in my logic, i'm sorry. You seem to grasp how the flags work. If I have a weapon with 2 flags set, any unit that it attacks must meet both those flags. Lockdown is a good example. It has mechanical and non-building set. Everything you can target with it must not be a building and must be mechanical.

i don't really have answers to 5-7. 5 and 7 are design questions, which I don't have much to say about, and 6 i just have no clue. As far as I know, only buildings and disabled units cannot be moved by a recall...

None.

Dec 4 2008, 10:04 pm Biophysicist Post #6

By disabled units, you mean Disable Doodad State, correct?

And currently this is just SC with water units. That's actually one of the think is cool about it...

@ForTheSwarm: I'm making water units by creating a bunch of invisible units (as in, they are completely transparent) of varying sizes and telling people to completely cover all the water in the map with these units. Then I have a bunch of triggers that cycles a location through these units and remove all land units in the location. (I'll make water walkable. [The naval units are actually land units.] The boundaries between land and water are not walkable, of course.) That's why I was asking about Map Max. That help?

None.

Dec 4 2008, 10:06 pm Fyrinite Post #7

Disabled in my contest = in stasis field, unpowered, lockdown, maelstromed, etc.

None.

Dec 4 2008, 10:08 pm Biophysicist Post #8

*growls* So I can't make them unrecallable without making them buildings? I can't do that, that will make them immune to almost all spells!

Crap...

None.

Dec 4 2008, 10:08 pm ForTheSwarm Post #9

So people have to create 1000 units and cover the map with them before they can use water units? And if they move a land unit there it gets removed? :crazy: I don't really get it.

None.

Dec 4 2008, 10:10 pm Biophysicist Post #10

Not 1000 units... And the units are preplaced, sorry. (As in, you have to modify the map and place the units before it works with this mod.) The reason is that then if they use a Dropship or something to put a Marine or Zling or something on the water, it dies 'cause it drowned.

None.

Dec 4 2008, 10:36 pm ForTheSwarm Post #11

Well you could kill the ships if they got recalled onto land. That'll teach 'em!

None.

Dec 4 2008, 10:36 pm Biophysicist Post #12

See, the problem is that'll hit Map Max epicly fast. The only way to detect a ship on land would be with more detection units.

None.

Dec 5 2008, 12:15 am Ultraviolet Post #13

You could dedicate an elevation to water, then destroy units within that elevation that aren't the right type.

Dec 5 2008, 12:17 am Biophysicist Post #14

But units can's see up terrain differences, so that wouldn't work. If they could, I'd have used that.

None.

Dec 5 2008, 12:24 am Corbo Post #15

ALL PRAISE YOUR SUPREME LORD CORBO

1. How exactly do you create a new "build unit" button? eg. A button to build Artanis, morph to Infested Kerrigan, or construct a Psi Distruptor?
You have to use a memory editor for this. You can just check the pinned tutorials and suit yourself or you can read the document I will be attaching.

2. Can you increase map max with a mod, and would that make it laggy if people hit the raised map max?
If you mean the map size, no. Anything bigger than 256x256 is just... no.
There is a sprite limit expander however but for a really old version of starcraft.

3. Can you make a spell cost different amount of mana for different units?
No. The spell casting calls to an specific weapon. You can, however, bypass it by duplicating the weapon and making it cost different.

4. What would happen if I made a weapon that had the "Can only target organic units" flag (eg. Maelstrom, Healing) AND the "Can only target mechanical units" flag (eg. Lockdown) set? Would the weapon only be able to target units with BOTH the "Organic" and "Mechanical" flags set (eg. the SCV)? The reason I'm asking is that then I can make ship-ship only weapons by marking all ships as both Organic and Mechanical. The problem is then that the ships can be hit by all spells, which I DOES NOT WANT. I was considering setting the "Building" flag on the ships and shortening the Medic's healing range so there is no way for it to hit the ships. Of course, this would mean that the ships can't be hit by most spells. I could probably come up with some kind of workaround, but it wouldn't be perfect. Or, I could scrap ship-ship only weapons. (The only unit I had been planning to be ship-to-ship only was the Terran Submarine, which I could easily scrap or modify.) Which do you guys think would be better? Or do you have another idea?
It will be able to target both, mechanical and organic units.

5. What system would you recommend I use for ship construction? Should I use the WarCraft 3 model where ship construction facilities are pre-placed and capturable? (Well, sort of capturable...) Or set it so that a player builds a ship-construction building and I remove it and refund the cost if it's not close enough to water? Or make ships build from some sort of "Mothership"?
Have you ever seen how boats are built? They are almost always built in ground land far away from the sea/water. Then they take them and arm then in the shore.

Don't allow them to use recall.

Mark them as buildings.

7. Would naval units actually be cool, or would it be one of those things someone looks at, maybe plays once, and then forgets about?
Water units are overrated. I made them in my early modding life where I made a test water-based mod. I even made Devilesk to make me custom maps for my mod. I still have them somewhere I think.

fuck you all

Dec 5 2008, 12:37 am Biophysicist Post #16

Quote from Corbo
It will be able to target both, mechanical and organic units.
I seem to be getting conflicting answers here...

Have you ever seen how boats are built? They are almost always built in ground land far away from the sea/water. Then they take them and arm then in the shore.
No, I haven't seen a ship being built... And how would I implement that in SC?

Don't allow them to use recall

Mark them as buildings.
It would kind of piss people off when their Arbiters can't Recall anything, and if I buildingiffy them then they're immune to almost all spells except Yamato Gun. Does not want either of those!

One workaround I could think of: Make the Stargate build Edmund Dukes instead of Arbiters, copy all the Arbiter stats to Duke, and give Recall to Duke's Siege Mode but not his non-Siege mode. Then I can Center a Location on a Siege Mode Duke, and if the Siege Mode Duke is not over water, kill any ships at that location. There are two problems: I don't know how to give Duke the Cloaking Field (or if that's even possible), and I'd need some way to stop the player from Sieging if he already has a Siege Mode Duke. I'm also not sure if sieging/unsieging would screw with his energy or not... (The point is that then Duke looks just like an Arbiter and building an Arbiter actualluy builds Dukes, but I can detect if a player uses Recall.)

Water units are overrated. I made them in my early modding life where I made a test water-based mod. I even made Devilesk to make me custom maps for my mod. I still have them somewhere I think.
I thought you said they would be cool a while ago... And I still want to do this, even if no one likes it it'll be fun and good practice for later mods.

None.

Options
  Back to forum