Staredit Network > Forums > Media, Art, and Literature > Topic: The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight
Jul 19 2008, 9:46 pm
By: dumbducky
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Jul 21 2008, 11:29 pm Polaris Post #41

Quote from name:devilesk
Yea I wasn't too alert because I was watching the midnight showing. :D
Yeah, I didnt catch that part either... But I guess I wasnt too alert either because I was watching it after 3 hours of sleep :P

If anything cool is ever going on Skype me up under the name "blarghle"

Jul 22 2008, 4:23 am Matt Burch Post #42

I just saw it. So much to say about it, that's how awesome it is. So all in all I just have one word to describe this movie:

EPIC!!

edit: what happened to my other post I posted on friday? I never got an alert saying it was deleted...

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jul 22 2008, 4:29 am by Matt Burch.

None.

Jul 22 2008, 5:05 am InsolubleFluff Post #43

Disgustingly Amazing.

None.

Jul 22 2008, 12:59 pm Jello-Jigglers Post #44

Quote from Doodan
-Numerous things aren't clearly resolved - just like in life. I hate how movies try to tie up every loose end, unless they're planning a sequel (and this film is likely planning one, but many things were left so unclear that you have no idea what the next installment might be like).

They already have Christian and several other actors signed on a contract for a third. The real question is, who is the villain gonna be?? I personally wished that twoface would have been the villain of #3, but they already killed him off in keeping with the old val kilmer flick, so ya...
Scarecrow - overused
Joker - actor died
TwoFace - Character died
Penguin - Awful character development...
Poison Ivy - lame
Mr. Freeze - a slim possibility, i don't think there's enough history though.
Clay face - same as freeze
Cat Woman - already did a move that flopped, BAD
Riddler - ??? :)

None.

Jul 22 2008, 3:08 pm chuiu Post #45

Ra's al Ghul and/or the League of Assassins
Bane
Harley Quinn
The Mad Hatter
Riddler

^One of those.

You: But Ra's al Ghul is dead!
Me: You obviously haven't been paying attention.

None.

Jul 22 2008, 4:45 pm InsolubleFluff Post #46

can't they just get someone else to play joker?

None.

Jul 22 2008, 5:04 pm Excalibur Post #47

The sword and the faith

Quote from name:Shocko
I think Heath did such a good job, it'd just be wrong to replace him. Best role of his life, and hes dead. I know that's not something Hollywood really cares about, but I know I'd be a little upset with the movie if they did.

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Jul 22 2008, 6:07 pm InsolubleFluff Post #48

I am sure hollywood can put a cheesy spin on it, for the sake of a continued story. However the Joker cannot just be cut from the next movie. Maybe they have somebody else do it for the first like 30 minutes then The Joker ends, but to have the next one completely cut from the storyline is even more of a kick in the ass then to replace Heath Ledger...

None.

Jul 23 2008, 2:11 am chuiu Post #49

Quote from name:Shocko
No, extremely unacceptable. One because he's too important of a character (don't give two shits about Rachael), and two because Heath Leger is dead (yes that matters - its dishonoring the memory of him).

None.

Jul 23 2008, 2:19 am Demented Shaman Post #50

Yea, I wouldn't even want to see Joker in the next Batman because it wouldn't be Ledger playing him. I'd be perfectly happy with another good villain.

None.

Jul 24 2008, 4:41 am InsolubleFluff Post #51

There's no honor in it, they should have him replaced if only for the first 15 minutes of the movie, given enough takes they can make a performance that isn't neccesarily as good as Heath Ledger's performance, but more to the point enough to end the story of the Joker with logic. He took control of the MOB at the end of the Movie, after creating the bad guy "Two Face" He was a major part in the movie, and to not include him at all would be worse then to even try and re-enact. There's no dis-honoring the dead bullshit behind it.

None.

Jul 24 2008, 4:47 am Demented Shaman Post #52

No, they could easily pull off not including the Joker in the next movie. At the end of The Dark Knight they caught the Joker. In the third movie all he would be doing is just sitting in jail.

None.

Jul 24 2008, 4:15 pm InsolubleFluff Post #53

At the end of The Dark Knight he was on the boat burning the money and taking control of the MOB, they did not show him being captured, not mention it. That would be assuming he was captured, since there is no evidence to prove he was captured, saying he's captured is totally bullshit. He's in the next movie, fuck what you guys say about heath ledger, he will be in it, even if only for a short period...

None.

Jul 24 2008, 8:28 pm chuiu Post #54

... WHAT?

First of all the scene at the boat is far from the ending of the movie, it goes on for another 30 to 40 minutes.

Secondly how is a dead actor going to be in the next movie? The script for it hasn't even been started let alone started being filmed.

None.

Jul 24 2008, 8:53 pm Demented Shaman Post #55

I'm not saying whether he is or is not captured. The point is they could easily make it so that he was captured in order to write off the Joker from the next movie. It would even make sense since the last time you see him is after Batman leaves him dangling from the building and then the SWAT team comes in shining flashlights and guns right in his face.

The next movie could easily just have Joker sitting in Arkham and then focus completely on the story of whatever villain they're doing.

Ra's al Ghul was in the first movie but wasn't in the second and no one cared and there was no "proof" that he's dead. :-_-:

None.

Jul 24 2008, 9:45 pm FatalException Post #56

And how did they finish the movie after Ledger died? Didn't he die way before it was finished?

I agree though, his performance was awesome. Best I've seen in awhile, although he (Joker) did kinda pull a Voldemort when he was talking to Batman about how they aren't going to kill each other... I dunno, it just kind of reminded me of Harry Potter, like they need each other and that shit...

I didn't really like how it just kept going, though... I thought it was going to end when the Joker got caught, and again when Two-Face was introduced... I also didn't really like how Two-Face was killed after existing for about half an hour.

None.

Jul 24 2008, 9:55 pm LoveLess Post #57

Let me show you how to hump without making love.

Quote from ClansAreForGays
I really thought the movie should have just ended after joker blew up the hospital.
You have no idea how much I agree with this. It would have made the third movie that much better, giving Two-Face alot more time for development.

Quote from RoryFenrir
-WHAT HAPPENED TO THE CITY? i dont know if anyof you noticed but Gotham was a completely different city. The above ground train was in The Dark Knight once.... and Wayne Tower was different. I thought how the city was different than any modern city now was cool in the first movie, but in the second it was completely different and looked totally normal.
You never build a building the same way after it's been fucked up, it just doesnt feel right. Wayne Tower proly got redone or moved.

Quote from RoryFenrir
-Twoface shot bat man once in his bullet proof armor... why didnt he finish him off or shoot him in the face in the first place...
Two-Face was always a one-shot per-person type guy in my opinion, thats the feel you have Two-Face behind a revolver.

Bane : One of the my favorite characters from the series, the man who broke the Bat. Should definitely become a reoccuring vigilante/villain like he was originally planned, fighting anyone who doesn't owe him allegiance
Scarecrow : Reoccuring villain, like always. Was never apparently 'caught', but ditched in an alley
Joker : Actor died, but I can see them bringing him back with another actor.
TwoFace : Character died, but might even be replaced with some plan by the Joker or another super-villain
Penguin : There going for a more serious approach with this series, so maybe a midget obsessed with birds
Poison Ivy : A little too mythical and supernatural for the new series, but maybe she uses perfumes and sprays made from plant venom and pheromones, similar to what characters have used so far (Scarecrow and Ra's Al Ghul)
Harley Quinn : With the Joker possibly out of the picture, Harley might be as well. But if they put Ivy into one of the movies, Harley should most definitely be introduced as her partner and if they were ever to re-introduce the Joker, she joins with him and finds his scars sexy :O
Mister Freeze : Again, a little too mythical with the freezing, but again, maybe something along whats been used like condensed CO2 or something, you never know.
Clay Face : Again, too mythical for this series IMO and no personal relations to any member of the Gotham PD and Bruce Wayne has been shown
Riddler : Who doesn't like the Riddler? Jim Carrey did an excellent job with him, I think he should be portrayed by a new actor, maybe Dane Cook is a pushing it, but he has the whole dark-comedian thing going already and that could enhance the role
Mad Hatter : I believe they should portray him as a Willy-Wonka-like serial killer with OCD (OverCompulsive Disorder) and have fun with that. Definitely a minor character, unless of course they introduce him as an insane neuroscientist and bring the whole mind control in, but again, thats pretty mythic for this series
Zasz : Apparently, he was in the first movie. He was one of the escaped convicts that attacked Rachel and the kid during the riot
Fire Fly : A definite possibility, I could see an ex-Pyrotechnic Pyromaniac Prodegy that goes nuts after losing his job due to a miscalculation or something and unable to find work, turning to crime to get his money.
The Ventriloquist/Scarface : Easily emulated as a guy who thinks his doll is really alive, including a doll fully rigged to apparently defend itself like it was really alive, making the ventriloquist look like an extension of the dummy, quite the opposite of what is really going on
Black Spider : Minor character that went directly after Batman, to the point of hunting, but I liked how he was always replaced by a newer version that fought differently and gave a fun feel to it. Each of them lived a second life as part of a mob crew, so thats a lot of replacements that could be done...
Dead Shot : A fun hired-gun, cares almost nothing except his target, but tends to choose to play with people that get in his way. Much more of a hunter than a planner, he doesn't care if he dies, but has said he would rather do it fashionably, so I say rig him to explode :D

I didnlt list some characters because I feel they have no place in this series. At all.

None.

Jul 24 2008, 10:29 pm Esponeo Post #58

I was going to go see this again before I said anything more about it but that doesn't seem to be going to happen so off I go again...

This topic by itself shows how laughably awful the movie was. No one can seem to agree on what happened. Half my friends are still insisting that Harvey Dent didn't die, that they saw him breathing. No one seems to agree on whether the Joker was captured. Some people seem to care about the mob bosses, others don't. Honestly its not even possible to have a reasonable discussion about a movie when you can't even agree on what happened. If I weren't so stupid I'd stop this post right there.

There's a lot of silly little stuff about the movie that I'm willing to let go because it's a story based on a comic about a guy who dresses up as a bat and fights crime. There is a certain amount of leeway to be had. Unfortunately the movie tries to take itself way too seriously, then hits us with laughably impossible scenes one after the other. Every cellphone in the city is magically transformed into sonar. Hundreds of mobsters going through the judicial system in a manner of days.

In the first movie, they made Batman out to be pretty cool. In this movie he spends way too much time in daylight, where he looks really dumb. Then you've got the Joker pretty much raping the shit out of Batman's mind. After that you've got to ask yourself, "Man, Batman is getting his shit ruined. What's he going to do? What clever method is he going to use to defeat the Joker?" What does the audience receive? Magical sonar cellphones. I'd like to point out several things about that. The police already knew where the Joker and the hostages were. Moreover, they were in an unfinished building with absolutely no cellphones in it. Gee.. so Batman didn't actually do anything? Nope. Then he goes in and punches the Joker a few times and that's it. That's the movie. There is no big payoff. The Batman does not outsmart the Joker in some clever way and then proceed to have an epic final battle.

Oh I forgot, there's about 20 more minutes of movie after that where they horribly rape an iconic villain. You thought the ending to the Joker story was bad? You haven't seen anything yet. Remember how terrible the endings were to Spiderman 3 and Star Wars: Episode 3? Ever wonder what would happen if a script somehow combined those two into one ending? Oh my God, they actually did it!

Harvey Dent has suddenly realized that the system is corrupt and he is going to take matters into his own hands, so he goes around killing all the people who apparently helped the Joker. Well, he killed all of them! With nothing else to do he decides to go kill Gordan's family for reasons totally different from his justification for killing all the people who actually betrayed him (*COUGH* DARTH VADER *COUGH*). Anyway I guess he shoots Batman or something, then Batman falls off a building with Two Face. Only Two Face dies though.

Oh wait, I forgot again.. there's yet another 10 minutes of film after that where the Batman QQs about how he isn't a bad person and we're giving a boring lecture on morals. It's really hard to listen to. I was pretty bored and wanted to leave at that point.

-----

On another note, everyone glorifying Heath Ledger's performance can just shut up. Was he good? Was he bad? I can't even honestly say. He doesn't even have that many lines in the movie. Mostly its just him waltzing around blowing shit up and laughing (poorly). Then towards the end he starts giving really ridiculous speeches, spoon feeding the audience the parallels between the Batman and the Joker. The script is just too terrible.

You know what I heard before seeing this movie? I heard that Two Face would be created as a villain in this movie and then show up in the next film. That seemed like a really good idea to me. Instead they created him in this movie, rushed through his storyline, then killed him in a matter of 20 minutes. Why oh why didn't they just give us 20 more minutes of a movie about the Joker?

Not to mention that the script is horribly racist. The Asian guy? His entire role in the film centers around him being good at math.

The more I think about this movie the more disgusted I am by how bad it is.
You just enjoy standing against the general opinion.
I just realized why it took me some time to start hating the movie. I wanted it to be good. I wanted to like it even after I saw it. I expected it to match or top the first film and instead we got a horrifying piece of shit. I feel like I should be crying. This was depressing. :(

None.

Jul 24 2008, 11:32 pm Xx.Doom.xX Post #59

Quote from name:devilesk
LET ME SHOW YOU A MAGIC TRICK. I WILL MAKE THIS PENCIL DISAPPEAR!
Best part in the greatest movie ever made.

None.

Jul 24 2008, 11:45 pm Demented Shaman Post #60

Quote from Esponeo
I was going to go see this again before I said anything more about it but that doesn't seem to be going to happen so off I go again...

This topic by itself shows how laughably awful the movie was. No one can seem to agree on what happened. Half my friends are still insisting that Harvey Dent didn't die, that they saw him breathing. No one seems to agree on whether the Joker was captured. Some people seem to care about the mob bosses, others don't. Honestly its not even possible to have a reasonable discussion about a movie when you can't even agree on what happened. If I weren't so stupid I'd stop this post right there.
Just because half your friends are idiots doesn't mean the movie is bad. If the directors listened to you they'd have to show the person flatlining when hooked up to a heart monitor to prove they're dead. That or blow off their head every time.

And of course no one agrees on whether Joker was captured or not. That's the point or else they would have shown him being put in jail.

But at least we can agree on one thing. You're stupid. Now on to the rest of your post...

Quote from Esponeo
There's a lot of silly little stuff about the movie that I'm willing to let go because it's a story based on a comic about a guy who dresses up as a bat and fights crime. There is a certain amount of leeway to be had. Unfortunately the movie tries to take itself way too seriously, then hits us with laughably impossible scenes one after the other. Every cellphone in the city is magically transformed into sonar. Hundreds of mobsters going through the judicial system in a manner of days.
The "unrealistic" technology is not laughably impossible and all the mobsters getting locked up quickly is to emphasize the greatness of Harvey Dent. He's the hero of the city needs.

Quote from Esponeo
In the first movie, they made Batman out to be pretty cool. In this movie he spends way too much time in daylight, where he looks really dumb. Then you've got the Joker pretty much raping the shit out of Batman's mind. After that you've got to ask yourself, "Man, Batman is getting his shit ruined. What's he going to do? What clever method is he going to use to defeat the Joker?" What does the audience receive? Magical sonar cellphones. I'd like to point out several things about that. The police already knew where the Joker and the hostages were. Moreover, they were in an unfinished building with absolutely no cellphones in it. Gee.. so Batman didn't actually do anything? Nope. Then he goes in and punches the Joker a few times and that's it. That's the movie. There is no big payoff. The Batman does not outsmart the Joker in some clever way and then proceed to have an epic final battle.
Sorry but Batman didn't just use "magical sonar cellphones" to defeat the Joker. And the police didn't know where the Joker was and they certainly didn't know where in the building he was. You must be blind because you can clearly see when they do that sonar shit that the are getting the signals from the people in the building who have cell phones. Batman does outsmart the Joker in a clever way and if you can't see it then you're blind.

Quote from Esponeo
Oh I forgot, there's about 20 more minutes of movie after that where they horribly rape an iconic villain. You thought the ending to the Joker story was bad? You haven't seen anything yet. Remember how terrible the endings were to Spiderman 3 and Star Wars: Episode 3? Ever wonder what would happen if a script somehow combined those two into one ending? Oh my God, they actually did it!

Harvey Dent has suddenly realized that the system is corrupt and he is going to take matters into his own hands, so he goes around killing all the people who apparently helped the Joker. Well, he killed all of them! With nothing else to do he decides to go kill Gordan's family for reasons totally different from his justification for killing all the people who actually betrayed him (*COUGH* DARTH VADER *COUGH*). Anyway I guess he shoots Batman or something, then Batman falls off a building with Two Face. Only Two Face dies though.
You just showed how little attention you paid to the movie. He didn't kill everyone because he flips a coin to decide if the person lives or dies and there are some people who he let live. And his reason for trying to kill Gordan's family are the same as his reasons for killing anyone. He wasn't even going to kill all of Gordan's family, pay attention to the movie. Yea, of course Batman survives and Two-Face doesn't, BECAUSE BATMAN HAS HIGH TECH ARMOR.

Quote from Esponeo
Oh wait, I forgot again.. there's yet another 10 minutes of film after that where the Batman QQs about how he isn't a bad person and we're giving a boring lecture on morals. It's really hard to listen to. I was pretty bored and wanted to leave at that point.
Yea, sorry it takes a brain to appreciate that part of the movie. It's especially hard when you didn't understand everything that happened before that. :rolleyes:
-----
Quote from Esponeo
On another note, everyone glorifying Heath Ledger's performance can just shut up. Was he good? Was he bad? I can't even honestly say. He doesn't even have that many lines in the movie. Mostly its just him waltzing around blowing shit up and laughing (poorly). Then towards the end he starts giving really ridiculous speeches, spoon feeding the audience the parallels between the Batman and the Joker. The script is just too terrible.
At first I was wondering about how little they showed of the Joker. But that was in the first half of the movie before he started owning the shit out of everyone. The script owns you.[/quote]

Quote from Esponeo
You know what I heard before seeing this movie? I heard that Two Face would be created as a villain in this movie and then show up in the next film. That seemed like a really good idea to me. Instead they created him in this movie, rushed through his storyline, then killed him in a matter of 20 minutes. Why oh why didn't they just give us 20 more minutes of a movie about the Joker?

Not to mention that the script is horribly racist. The Asian guy? His entire role in the film centers around him being good at math.
Yea just because there's an Asian guy the script is racist. Idiot. :rolleyes:

Quote from Esponeo
The more I think about this movie the more disgusted I am by how bad it is.
You just enjoy standing against the general opinion.
I just realized why it took me some time to start hating the movie. I wanted it to be good. I wanted to like it even after I saw it. I expected it to match or top the first film and instead we got a horrifying piece of shit. I feel like I should be crying. This was depressing. :(
You choose to suffer, you choose to be an idiot. It's all about perception. :)

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 5 >
  Back to forum