Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Showcase > Topic: Commando Wars Winter [UPDATED]
Commando Wars Winter [UPDATED]
Jun 23 2008, 5:49 pm
By: planckscnst  

Jun 23 2008, 5:49 pm planckscnst Post #1

EDIT: I've updated the map to the most recent version.

I used to play Starcraft quite a lot about 5 years ago or so. I loved the game of Commando Wars, but it looks like it is no longer played. I found a map (Commando Wars Gold 1.09) and played a few games, but I became pretty frustrated with it. The bases are not evenly matched, the combos are impossible to remember, and to upgrade or trade a unit, you must have the EXACT number of units on the upgrade pad, which was a real pain. Furthermore, not every upgrade area worked, some resulted in a unit unplaceable warning. I tried modifying it, but the triggers seemed to be so unorganized.

That is why I have created my own. I am working on making sure the bases are balanced and the unit upgrades/trades are appropriate. I think I'm getting pretty close to golden. I have played successful games from all 4 bases, and have come ahead from behind many times.

Some people have expressed preferences about some of the spells ("cloaking is ghey, d00d!"), but I think they are appropriate. The ghost being able to cloak is important for people who started out behind to have some kind of a chance (often, two players will get in a feeding frenzy at the beginning). The wraith cloak is very expensive so it doesn't last long. Also, there is an observer trade available (although it is somewhat hidden). I would love rational discussion on the topic; is cloaking necessary? What about other spells?

Also, as I am a noob when it comes to making maps, did I overlook anything important?

For those who are unfamiliar with Commando Wars, here are the instructions from the game:
Welcome To Commando Wars!
Hunt and kill the other teams' men.
If you die you will respawn at your base.
For every 5 kills you will get an extra marine when you respawn.
Trade your marines for better units at trading posts all around the map. The neutral marines standing by a unit tells the price of the unit.
Most units may be upgraded in the center of the map (see minimap ping). Some units may be upgraded multiple times. All upgrades cost two units.
There are many combo upgrades (e.g. a wraith and a zealot will make a scout).

Attachments:
Commando Wars Winter 0.5.5.scx
Hits: 13 Size: 68.06kb

Post has been edited 4 time(s), last time on Jul 3 2008, 2:56 pm by planckscnst.

None.

Jun 23 2008, 6:00 pm Impeached Post #2

Could you add some screenshots to entice us to play? :D

None.

Jun 23 2008, 6:13 pm planckscnst Post #3

Sure. What's the best way?

Here's one I took using scmdraft zoomed out. The bases are just out of view.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 23 2008, 6:20 pm by planckscnst.

None.

Jun 23 2008, 6:41 pm Impeached Post #4

Take a screenshot in game, then download Irfanview (google it) and open screenshots from your Starcraft folder. Irfanview can convert them to a regular format, namely .BMP.

Then after you save them, go to a place like http://imageshack.us and upload your pictures, then post the links here.

None.

Jun 24 2008, 2:46 am Vi3t-X Post #5

JPEG is a good enough quality but reduces filesize if your internet connection is slow.

None.

Jun 29 2008, 12:43 pm planckscnst Post #6

Finally! Here are the screenshots!

This one is the very beginning of the game when we all have just 2 marines. I had upgraded to a level 2 marine, and killed 2 of yellow's marines, came out badly damaged, and blue took me after teleporting in. This is at the teleporter pad; there are 3 ways of getting out of your base: left, right, and teleport to this pad - this makes it challenging for someone to camp your base.

One of the features in this map is that there is a nuke in your base; if you go there, all your men die and you get a fresh wave of men. I have developed the tactic of leaving a guy near there, so if I'm in trouble, I can nuke myself and keep the enemy from getting a kill. Here I had fallen way behind but had finally gotten the unit I wanted. Look at the stats on that level 2 wraith. Pretty nice.

None.

Options
  Back to forum